The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I need a pair of monitors Studio Monitors
Old 17th August 2007
I need a pair of monitors

I just sold my Event TR6s because I thought I had score a pair of NS10s, but the guy selling them stopped e-mailing me so now I don't have a pair of monitors

I don't want to spend much more than $500 for the pair, new or used. I have a very small space (12x10) so I don't need a lot of volume. Some things I've considered are Yamaha HS50Ms, Genelec 8020As (used would be in my price range), Tannoy Reveal 5As, or Adam Audio ANF-10s (would have the buy an amplifier).

Any other suggestions? Like I said, I don't mind buying used.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I wouldn't go for NS10 if those were my only pair of monitors. I would like to have NS10's next to my 8040's someday. So personally I'm always sporting the Genelecs. 8020 is pretty impressive sounding for its size. You just gotta listen to those yourself. That's the only way to go.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Guru

Don't forget about KRK.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

The first question is why you thought it was a wise idea to ditch the Event TR6s for the NS-10s?!?!?! dfegad

Some of the other monitors you mention aren't going to be a huge amount (if any) better, and some of them are likely to be worse (e.g., the Tannoy Reveals).

The Events are very capable monitors, and definitely as capable as any in the price range.

A few other questions for you:

Were you dissatisfied with the Events for a particular reason? And if so, what was the problem with them for you?

Why did you want NS-10s? Was it primarily because they are famous and a lot of famous records were mixed on them?

Do you have any acoustics treatment in your room?

If you do not have any acoustics treatment in your room (particularly bass traps, as well as first reflection point treatments), you should not be looking at "upgrading" your monitors . . . you should be looking at getting some proper acoustics treatment. I can guarantee that this will give you FAR greater improvement than pretty much ANY monitor "upgrade" or electronics upgrade. Acoustics treatment is usually the LAST thing people think about when they start putting together a studio, but it is actually the FIRST thing you should be thinking about.

I'll take my Event 20/20bas in a properly treated room over pretty much any other monitor in a bad acoustics environment.

I recently was part of a mixing session in a commercial studio (in which proper attention was NOT paid to acoustics treatment). This mixing session was for 5 songs that were tracked entirely in my studio. The studio had a full complement of monitors -- Genelecs, Tannoys, Blue Sky, and even NS-10s. The low end in the control room was a f**king mess, and the imaging was like soup, compared to my studio, with a reasonable amount of acoustics treatment (and nowhere near what I would like it to be yet). The mixes from that studio came out WORSE than even my quickie rough mixes that I did in my own studio. It was really very difficult to get any kind of real sense of what was going on in the mix in that control room (even with a number of sets of expensive and/or "industry standard" monitors), and unfortunately we didn't have the time to try multiple mixes and check them on other systems, etc.

I know all of this doesn't directly answer your questions about replacing your monitors, but I also really hate to see people spending a lot of money "upgrading" their monitors when the REAL problem is their room -- which is a problem that simply cannot be fixed by speaker or electronics upgrades.
Old 17th August 2007
I have a fair amount of acoustic treatment in my room. A friend of mine gave me a Auralex Roominators kit. I took my monitors into a professional studio and mixed a song on my Events and a pair of NS-10s, because my mixes never sounded good when I played them on a home stereo. The mix on the NS-10s sounded a lot better in the car then the TR6s, so when I found a pair of $100 I figured I'd give the NS-10s a try.
Old 17th August 2007
Are you 20/20's the latest version (V2) or an older pair? Is there much of a difference?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm a happy user of the Yamaha HS80M (looks a bit like NS10).

After using other low end monitors like Tannoy, M-audio and Mackie the HS80M sounds the best. Don't have to check my mixes to much on other hifi speakers anymore.
Old 17th August 2007
Here for the gear

Not sure if they are just out of your budget, but PMC are worth a listen. I think their small ones are called DB1 or DB2?
Old 18th August 2007

Apparently Tapco S8s (made by Mackie) are pretty impressive for their price? I've read pretty encouraging reviews so far
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

Well I'm an extremely happy owner of my Adam A7's - I can only imagine that with a good amp the passive versions will be great too..

Since working with the Adam's, my mixes have become brighter, more defined and less boomy :-)

I have examples if you need to hear my mixing before I got the Adam's and after :-) lol
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I got a pair of krk rp8's they go for 500 they sound great you can hear everything very clearly in the mix they translate very well the only problem i have with them now is that you cant hear bass that much so sometimes i end up adding to much but now that ive gotten used to them its not a problem. there very easy to learn iom listening to them right now i never get tired of listening to them i cant believe they sound this good.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Guru

KRK
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I have a pair of KRK RP5's, with the RP10-S Sub. They work great in my room, 20x15x9. I have 703 behind them, with diffuser's panels glued to the 703. have a few panels on the ceiling and traps in the rear corners.

i love them, they arent too loud, but they bump when i move the fader up hahaha. they translate well, and i have NS-10's as my reference monitors. I even have a cable that goes out to my living room i can send to for another reference.

Thats my 2 cents.

Rob
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Head

If you have the guts to go 2.1 (plenty of debate on that topic) the Blue Skys are excellent. To purchase new you would need to go Mediadesk to stay within your budget, but used you might be able to score a Pro-Desk. We're very happy with our System Ones.
Old 19th August 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlondonpunk View Post
Apparently Tapco S8s (made by Mackie) are pretty impressive for their price? I've read pretty encouraging reviews so far
I hate to say it, but any 8" speaker in this range that I've heard just suffers so badly in the midrange (as in the mids are scooped away) that it's hard to really recommend them unless somebody wants to just hear more volume and tons of bass. A 6" woofer always delivers a better balance in the budget arena of speakers in my experience. The Yamaha HS80M suffers less of the 8" mid scoop and I consider them to be a good speaker in their range. The KRK and TAPCO offerings...I just can't get behind much at all.

War
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'd Suggest saving up the cash and buying either the BM5a's or Adam A7's.

That way you at least got something that you wont outgrow within a few months. Then after that it would jus be about all the other aspects of your studio that you need or want to upgrade.
Old 20th August 2007
i've been happy with my my Tannoy's. had them for a few years now. my mixes translate well. not sure what the other posters problems are with them.

i'm interested in trying on some Adam's for size when theres room in the budget.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I did a good deal of work in a studio that had $15,000 in wall mains (which were insane), Mackie 824s, KRK V8s, NS10s, and Auratones all hooked up and could be compared in an instant. My favourites were in the in-walls. But the my fave nearfield were the V8's by far. Try to find a pair of these used I would suggest.
Old 21st August 2007
Here for the gear

Hi everyone, I'd like to find a decent & affordable set of monitors.

My primary criteria is that I want the speakers to have a grill or at least be covered with cloth. Aren't people paranoid that the exposed speaker will become damaged accidentally?

thanx,
blitzed
Old 21st August 2007
Quote:
Aren't people paranoid that the exposed speaker will become damaged accidentally?
i'm more concerned someone will poke their eye out with a drumstick, step on an acousitc guitar, spill a beer on a synth, fall over a drum kit & get simultaneously decapitated by a cymbal and impaled by a stray stand.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Head

lol, good one

Are the Adam A7 really good?
They only cost €400 here, whereas the BM5a is about €500.
Just asking since it's a difference of €100...

Greets Stevie
Old 22nd August 2007
Quote:
Are the Adam A7 really good?
run a search, theres alot of positive Adam buzz around here.
i have yet to play with them, but they're on my wish list next time i go speaker shopping.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search