The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question about phantom power. Dynamic Microphones
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Question about phantom power.

Does phantom power affect mics that don't require phantom power? (Aside from ribbon mics, of course.)

Let's say I'm running through a mixer that only has an on/off switch for all the inputs rather than for individual ones. One mic is a condenser so it needs phantom power. If the others are like an sm57 or some other mic that doesn't require phantom power, will it be damaged or sound better or will nothing happen? Will the phantom power affect it at all, or are those type of mics designed to bypass it?

I know for a fact that expensive ribbon mics will blow up if you run phantom power through them, but I figure if I'm using expensive ribbon mics I won't have a ****ty console that doesn't have individual phantom power.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I've never had a problem running an SM58 and a SC condenser mic with phantom power through my USB interface.heh
Old 17th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by AASteveo View Post
I know for a fact that expensive ribbon mics will blow up if you run phantom power through them,
Maybe if you run phantom THROUGH them they will blow up, but that isn't easy to do (assuming you don't use a TRS mic patchbay) if your cables are wired properly.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

No phantom on ribbons is mainly a precaution, will not tolerate a improperly wired cable like a dynamic will. A dynamic will burn out but will take longer.
Will notice a hum, had this occur a few days ago, found the problem pretty quick and the SM 57 was fine.
The mic element is across pin 2 and pin 3 ONLY regardless of type of mic, if were talking a balanced mic input.
Other wise the common mode would be lost, grounding one side of the mic, pin 1 to pin 2 for example.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Guru

Ribbons are the only ones ive read where its a no no.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

No, phantom won't hurt your dynamic mics. That's why it's called phantom power. Not seen by the mics that don't use it. Like it was mentioned, ribbons require more caution.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search