The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Earthworks Kick Pad? Dynamic Microphones
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Earthworks Kick Pad?

Does anyone have thoughts/experience with the Earthworks Kick Pad? At $99 it seems like a good deal to add some Earthworks quality to a low end studio. I am in the process of building my studio in my house and I am evaluating products right now that I want to pick up.

-ScottyD

Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

It's just a preset eq. Pretty clever marketing though.
Old 16th August 2007
Jai guru deva om

Well, it's a preset EQ and pad. It's handy, and does what it says it will do. I made some clips here:

Microphone Clips and Audio Samples at ***************.com

Scroll to the Earthworks SR25 / SR30 and you can hear it on kick with and without the kickpad. Also, there is an SM57 clip with the Kickpad as well. I really like the 57 and have used this combo in my own studio with nice results.

Hope this helps.

War
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
It's just a preset eq. Pretty clever marketing though.
It pads too (hence "kick pad"). I picked one up to save time with my band's live setup, and because I was curious. I was surprised at how well it actually worked... resulted in a nice punchy bass drum sound... sat in our live mix nicely. Not sure it would work for all genres, but a good sound for rock and pop stuff. Probably not the most flexible thing, but it works decently.
---
c

FWIW, I use it with a beta 52.

Last edited by chrisp2u; 16th August 2007 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: War beat me to the punch.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Head

I don't know if I'd call it high-end mojo for $99, but it is a cool piece of gear. I think of it as a mic mod that you can use on any mic. Having said that, it hasn't been disconnected from my D112 since I got it. I like the idea of it being a passive eq that pretty closely resembles what I would probably do with eq later anyway. It carves some of the 'bonk' out of the D112 very nicely.

So I give it a

Pete
Old 16th February 2008
Lives for gear

eq?

so what is the eq doing?

Is it a single wide low mid scoop, or are there 2 boosts?

About where in the spectrum are the cuts and or boosts?

War, I couldn't find the samples at *****.com
Old 16th February 2008
Lives for gear

it makes thier Condenser in their drum mic kit more usuable as a kick mic, it may be fine with other mics.
Old 17th February 2008
Lives for gear

So who exactly needs to spend $99 for a device that does what you could do on the console but with less flexibility?
Old 17th February 2008
Quote:
So who exactly needs to spend $99 for a device that does what you could do on the console but with less flexibility?
Some kind of moron?
Old 18th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Some kind of moron?

you never disappoint us.

i want to try one anyway
Old 19th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Some kind of moron?
Not sure if I should laugh, or be offended.

-ScottyD
Old 19th February 2008
Gear Addict

Laugh. It's good for you.
Old 19th February 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
In the studio, I agree. But live, it's a real time saver. Esp if you aren't getting a sound check.
Old 20th February 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyD View Post
Not sure if I should laugh, or be offended.

-ScottyD
Why not do both?
Old 20th February 2008
Lives for gear

So does anyone know the exact eq shape this kick pad thing yields? How much boost/cut and at what freqs? I can take a good guess but it would be interesting to know the actual specs of this product.

Lemme guess, it makes most dynamic mics sound like an Audix D6 heh.
Old 20th February 2008
Wink

I've used it with live sound and in the studio.
It is quite subtle.
I use the D112 and it does work ok.
If I had the money again I probably would not get it.
Having said that the main reason for it is as a Pad for sensitive Condensor Mics.
So hook up that Large diagphram U87 etc and see how it sounds - you might be suprised.
Old 28th January 2010
Here for the gear

earth(WORKS) kickpad

It really does work and does the job for on the fly eq.
I use it for it on my live recording rig for when I am playing drums in a jazz quartet mic'd with a vintage AKG D17. (same series as the vintage D12's-but a smaller bass chamber)
I don't tend to use eq before I track, finding the correct microphone is more important...
....or at least till I get my 500 series rack into my setup.
Old 29th January 2010
Lives for gear

It works. It's handy. And yes, you could probably do the same thing with most mixers most of the time. But I did have it give a useable kick sound at one venue that I was unable to get without it. (Peavey board, eq wouldn't do what the Kickpad did.)
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666666 View Post
So does anyone know the exact eq shape this kick pad thing yields? How much boost/cut and at what freqs? I can take a good guess but it would be interesting to know the actual specs of this product.

I always wondered so I just checked. I ran pink noise through it and this is what I got...
Attached Thumbnails
Earthworks Kick Pad?-nokickpad.png   Earthworks Kick Pad?-kickpad.png  
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Addict

This is a patronizing, silly, pseudo-audio tool aimed at punters.

How much you wanna bet that it pulls the mids, and adds low end and top end?

I'll bet my life.

This is bull**** and I resent Earthworks for pulling a ploy like this.

Cheers
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Facta View Post
This is a patronizing, silly, pseudo-audio tool aimed at punters. How much you wanna bet that it pulls the mids, and adds low end and top end? I'll bet my life. This is bull**** and I resent Earthworks for pulling a ploy like this. Cheers
Yeah, but just like with the Audix D6 mic (which also has a built-in scooped eq curve), this can be a handy sort for thing especially for live gigs where you might not have any control over the mix. It'll at least get the kick sounding a bit closer to where it should even before the half-deaf soundman get his hands on it. So, it's not such a bad thing really.
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666666 View Post
Yeah, but just like with the Audix D6 mic (which also has a built-in scooped eq curve), this can be a handy sort for thing especially for live gigs where you might not have any control over the mix. It'll at least get the kick sounding a bit closer to where it should even before the half-deaf soundman get his hands on it. So, it's not such a bad thing really.
I see your point but I don't see why you'd have a Kick Pad and not an EQ at the desk. What silly gig involves having a mic on a kick drum but no control over it? The kick plugged directly into the power amp? I have never done a gig involving a kick drum where I didn't at least have three bands of EQ on every channel like you would see on any budget mixer.

It's amazing how much you can achieve with just mic placement and a couple bands of EQ.

I still stand by my previous comment.

Cheers
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Maniac

If it got you 80% closer w/ no extra time out of your day, it might be useful. Same with the D6 - you can get there with other mics and some eq, but Audix pre-tuned it to save the harried engineer a couple precious minutes.

If it's not useful to you, then there's no reason to buy one. No need to be hostile to the manufacturer either way.

Quote:
I see your point but I don't see why you'd have a Kick Pad and not an EQ at the desk. What silly gig involves having a mic on a kick drum but no control over it? The kick plugged directly into the power amp? I have never done a gig involving a kick drum where I didn't at least have three bands of EQ on every channel like you would see on any budget mixer.

It's amazing how much you can achieve with just mic placement and a couple bands of EQ.

I still stand by my previous comment.

Cheers
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Addict

Hostile to the manufacturer? Are you serious? What is this, a marketing meeting? Are we securing a deal?

Who's ass am I supposed to kiss, exactly?

I'm sorry, I was under the impression I was on a public forum where I could express my opinion.

Cheers
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

...I don't see why you'd have a Kick Pad and not an EQ at the desk. What silly gig involves having a mic on a kick drum but no control over it?.... )
Just about EVERY gig has a mic on a kick drum with no control over it! Have you done any gigs lately?

Sure, there's probably an eq in the path... but you can't trust the clown that is behind the controls! Last gig I did the soundman was making a mess, just didn't get it, I asked if I could do a little tweaking and they would not let me anywhere near the console (even though I would have mixed it 50 times better).

When I do a gig I like having my kit ready to sound as close as possible to the way I want it to ultimately sound through the system because I cannot trust a random soundman to do the job right. So, using the Earthworks kickpad or a D6 at least does some initial mud scooping and cleans up the sound a bit so the sound is at least already halfway there.

And yes, I carry and use my own mics and mic clips on my kit when I play live, it's an extra headache for me, but again, it gets things at least halfway there... a little bit less I need to rely on the soundman. Better chance of the sound being decent in the end.

Having said all this, I have also experienced absolutely excellent soundmen at gigs that had great gear and did stellar jobs... so... it's hit or miss.

But, the point here, the Earthworks kickpad device really isn't such a bad thing. Yes, it's basically a "fixed eq" that you stick right after your mic... in one regard, it's actually a pretty cool concept. Just my opinion.

Old 6th February 2013
Gear Addict

Well, the solution would be to hire an AE who you trust to mix you properly. He'll probably cost less than all your mics and you won't have to worry about them getting damaged or stolen.

The core of the issue here is that EQ is being purported as the key to a good kick sound when in actual fact it's down to the player, the drum, the tuning, the mic and it's placement. In that order.

What if the Kickpad EQ does not agree with the sound it is fed? What then? I'm just not a believer in blanket processes and find them completely noobish and misguided. I would expect a product like this from Mackie or Behringer, but not Earthworks. They are a company who prides themselves on reference quality microphones and purpose engineered preamps for their mics aimed at professionals.

That is why, for me, this kind of product from Earthworks signals bull****.

Cheers
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

...the key to a good kick sound... in actual fact it's down to the player, the drum, the tuning, the mic and it's placement...
Absolutely! Agree 100%!

Quote:

...hire an AE who you trust to mix you properly. He'll probably cost less than all your mics and you won't have to worry about them getting damaged or stolen.
Actually, I picked up a good set of mics, used, probably cost me less than a night or two of a pro AE's services.

But more often, the issue is finding a truly pro AE that KNOWS what I want, that is AVAILABLE both when and where I'd need him (or her).

Of course, for a tour, you can find someone in advance and they travel with you, gig to gig.

The problem is for the one-off gigs. It's just easier for me to show up, mic up my kit, get it sounding as close as possible to what I'd like it to sound like through the PA and then tip the house AE and hope for the best.

Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

The Kickpad is fine for what it is. It will make your garden variety 57 sound sort of like one of those dedicated "kick mics." Lets also remember that it is also a pad, (hence the name) and that can be useful as well. Just another tool for the box. If it doesn't appeal to you don't use it. Now I'll go back to playing my kazoo.
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

I bought one back in '04 or '05, especially for live use. Works great and it's one less thing to worry about live. Like omtayslick said, it's just one more tool for the box. Does what it says. More than paid for itself the first time I used it on a gig.

I took a screenshot with the excellent HolmImpulse so you could see the response curve. Using mytek converters at 96k.

Regards,
Frank
Old 7th February 2013
Wouldn't the curve depend on the impedance of the mic it's attached to?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search