The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Peluso P12- a positive review Condenser Microphones
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

Peluso P12- a positive review

FWIW, I know reviewers are crucified around here. But I thought you low-enders would appreciate a little feedback on a mic.

I know it's a hot topic around these parts with mic clones, etc. But I bought a Peluso P12 from Tony @ High Profile. Besides having a pain-free transaction, I finally got to plug in the mic this week. The power supply is rugged, the shockmount works nicely, and the packaging was great. From what I can tell in this first week the mic is nicely put together, every part on the enclosure seems snug (the mic itself is pretty heavy). Having recorded albums with original C12s before, I knew how it responded to my voice and sounded. For my voice specifically, I definitely prefer the original C12's airy top and clean lows over the others I've tried (U47/87, Blue, AT4060, etc).

So I guess what I'm saying is that 90% of the qualities I love about the original C12 I found in the Peluso P12. It's airy, not overhyped up top, and a bit forgiving. For breathy or intimate singers I love what it does. Besides a nice little HPF on my pre I didn't have to EQ it for it to sit nicely in the mix I already had. I tracked vocals for a session with a friend's Neumann TLM103 a few weeks prior (I was not happy with the outcome), and I re-recorded it with the P12. So smooth it's sexy. heh

I highly recommend the P12 if you're looking for a good value mic with the airy top end. It's also great on a distant electric guitar cab and acoustic. Looking forward to using it on an overhead next time I track drums!

If you guys have any more questions about it I'll try and answer 'em.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

no apologies necessary. This is a FANTASTIC mic at any price. Buy a pair - definitely. I own the P-12 and the P2247 LE and a bunch of beautiful vintage mics including U67, U87's, etc. and the P-12 hangs tough. What a great mic!
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

yea dude, i think it's going to be my next upgrade for sure.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxhopefield View Post
yea dude, i think it's going to be my next upgrade for sure.
together we will have stereo OHs!
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm thinking of buying 3 Peluso's: either a) 47LE or b) 251 and a) a pair of 251's or b) a pair of 12's... I *may* have an opportunity of checking out a 47LE, but the others would be bought without auditioning sadly...

Herwig
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear
Can one of you guys post a frequency graph for the P12? I can't find it on the Peluso site...I have and really like the 47 LE, but I'm thinking I might like the C12 too if it's not too sibilant and bright...
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Head

Long time reader here and first post for me. I bought the P12 a couple of years ago and I'll also have to admit I really like it. It has a little dip at around 2k which is nice for minimizing vocal harshness. Apparently the C12 has this same dip. Full sounding mids. Not at all harsh. I bought it because our female singer has a fairly sibilant style and the P12 tamed that really well while giving nice "air" to her voice. I'm not super thrilled with the power supply construction. Seems a little wimpy and the xlr jacks are a little out of square. Minor gripes. I went through several modern condensers in that price range and none had the fullness and smooth sound as the P12.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

P22 vs. M16 anyone?
Old 9th September 2007
Here for the gear

p-12 graph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Can one of you guys post a frequency graph for the P12? I can't find it on the Peluso site...I have and really like the 47 LE, but I'm thinking I might like the C12 too if it's not too sibilant and bright...
I got peluso to email me this file, im looking into getting this mic, but i cant open the file. Maybe if someone can they can re post it as a pdf or something, it would be nice to compare it to the c12 graph. the file had a .docx extention i removed the x so i could post it.
Attached Files
File Type: doc p-12graph.doc (91.0 KB, 974 views)
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

.docx is Office 2007 new format. Attached PDF below.

Herwig
Attached Files
File Type: pdf p-12graph.pdf (92.3 KB, 1438 views)
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

That P12 graph looks close to the Blue Bluebird graph, which I have.
Did anyone have found any sonic similarities between the two mics?
Old 11th September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
.docx is Office 2007 new format. Attached PDF below.

Herwig
Hey thanks for posting that graph! Pitty it looks nothing like the c12 graph. is it wrong to judge a mic by the (f) curve? it seems all the pricey mics graphs are nice and flat with a hint of flavour somewhere, like my u87 for eg, it is smooth with some hills at the end not a friggin rally track panoramic. the p12 has at least a 5dB on all frequencies with a 10dB boost at 4-15kHZ what is with that?
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
P22 vs. M16 anyone?

i think we all know who the real winner is here.
Attached Thumbnails
Peluso P12- a positive review-m16.jpg  
Old 11th September 2007
I wonder if the pacifica and a p12 combo would be too bright sounding? I really want a new mic in a few months but I dunno what would sound good with my voice in conjunction with the pacifica. I want a multipattern mic.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Head

FWIW that response graph is for that actual mic. Most of the C12 graphs you see floating around the Web are not of individual mics but are generalized response graphs typical to that model of mic. The actual graph of the Peluso will naturally be less flat than the generalized C12 graphs but overall they are very similar with a dip at around 2k and a rise in the upper end.

Steve
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

I`m very sorry but i cannot give this mic more advantages apart from this one - fatness.It is wide sounding but has the same extended overbright top as cheap chinese mics.I have precision comparison between Shure KSM44,Peluso P12 , Peluso2247,Neumann147 ,AudioTechnica AT4050 and AT4060.Ive tested these mics on my voice using TG2 pre , Portico 5043 comp and MytekAD singing the same few verses. Pelusos are really too bright IMHO.The winner for me is AT4060 - has the most natural tone in this comparison.
Old 23rd June 2008
Here for the gear

pair of peluso p12's

If anyone is interested, I have a pair of P12's coming tomorrow that I will be running through the paces of drum overheads, vocals, and acoustic guitar, tambourine, etc.

I will be doing some stereo and single point comparisons with some of the mics that I already own that I usually use during my day to day recording.

Pete
Old 23rd June 2008
Lives for gear

plz post your results!

Herwig
Old 23rd June 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx View Post
WTF!!!!!HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAA.....HAHAHA...HAHAHAA. i really dont know why that was so funny... but it was..... aw..... that made me laugh so hard...HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......HAHAHHAHAHA..... AWESOME!!!!!!!!! =]
Old 24th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zace2005 View Post
I got peluso to email me this file, im looking into getting this mic, but i cant open the file. Maybe if someone can they can re post it as a pdf or something, it would be nice to compare it to the c12 graph. the file had a .docx extention i removed the x so i could post it.
I'd love to see one of those for the 251. Would be great to compare.
Would be even greater to rent them both and compare them! heh
Old 27th June 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubu4him View Post
WTF!!!!!HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAA.....HAHAHA...HAHAHAA. i really dont know why that was so funny... but it was..... aw..... that made me laugh so hard...HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......HAHAHHAHAHA..... AWESOME!!!!!!!!! =]
Wow, I really feel a nerd battle coming on here...

I don't really imagine there's too much difference between Peluso mics and the M16 or AK47 aside from anybody's personal preferences... both are in the same price range and to-be-expected build qualities, amost the sort of "prosumer" area. I can rent the Peluso 47 and C12 in town and plan to do so next week, but if anybody has some sound samples of the M16 vs (and/or the AK47 for that matter), I'd love to compare for kicks.
thumbsup
Old 6th August 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
plz post your results!

Herwig
The P12's are really nice for overheads, percussion. I liked my ELUX 251's better on my voice. The Peluso's seemed a little compressed sounding on my voice up close. That is my only complaint. For the money paid....great mic.
Old 23rd August 2009
Here for the gear

I have a P12 and a D.A.V. BG No. 5 mic pre....my artists (rapper) vocals are coming out thin with a ton of silibence. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong....Has anyone used the P12 with a rapper? I'm trying to have more presence without the harsh highs...I'm starting to think I should have went with the 22 47(LE or SE) to match his voice...
Old 23rd August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by needlz1906 View Post
I have a P12 and a D.A.V. BG No. 5 mic pre....my artists (rapper) vocals are coming out thin with a ton of silibence. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong....Has anyone used the P12 with a rapper? I'm trying to have more presence without the harsh highs...I'm starting to think I should have went with the 22 47(LE or SE) to match his voice...
How well is your room treated?
Old 11th February 2010
Here for the gear

Peluso P-12

I have been reading your posts on gearslutz for quite some time and just joined the forum in order to add some comments on Peluso Microphones.

Rob, from Master Sound Pro Audio, in Virginia Beach has been talking up the Peluso microphone line to me. So, I just received a 2247 SE and have been using it for about a week ... male and female vocals for jingle production.

This is, By Far, the best investment I have made in a long time.

I sold off a Neumann, and a Telefunken, U-47 back in 1998, and chose a Microtech 92.1s to replace them. I really miss the vintage microphones but not the headaches of them ruining a great vocal take when it decided to crack or pop at any given time.

I compared some of those old tracks, with the 47's, to the recordings from this week with the 2247 SE. My ears cannot tell the difference. In fact, I'll go as far as to say that it's a better sound ... at least for jingle production.

FYI - I purchased a Golden Age PRE 73 from Rob, and the 2247 SE it quite nice through this cost effective pre.

FYI - I will say that the 2247 SE needed a slight boost of EQ shelf starting at about 5k for my taste ... but that's just to make sure that a jingle vocal cuts through. I would have been happy with the track straight out for an album project.

One last comment and then I'll shut up ... I did a great deal of research before choosing which 2247 from Peluso. The SE has a quieter noise floor than the LE. I really wanted the LE with the NOS tube ... I am Thrilled with the SE. Mix magazine is quoted to say that "the 2247 SE sounds as nice and the best Neumann U-47" ... I would have to completely agree.

Jim
Old 13th April 2011
Here for the gear

I've had my P-12 for about 4 months now and really do love it. Lots of great top end without unappealing hype. It can tend to be a little gnarly with trebly female vocals I've found, but I'm more than satisfied with my purchase. Absolutely great as a room mic for kits.
Old 13th April 2011
Gear Head

Question for you-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashwell View Post
I've had my P-12 for about 4 months now and really do love it. Lots of great top end without unappealing hype. It can tend to be a little gnarly with trebly female vocals I've found, but I'm more than satisfied with my purchase. Absolutely great as a room mic for kits.
Female singer here with a warm voice, have been using U87 and it is a bit too dark for me, I am seriously considering the P12. I have also tried a rode NT 1, and found it very harsh in the top range, and am wondering if you are familiar with the Rode NT and can comment on the top in the NT vs. the P12. My voice is not trebly-think Chrissie Hynde. I have used a vintage C12 on many recordings in the past and it was the best mic for my voice I have ever found. Hence my leaning towards the P12.
Old 13th April 2011
Gear Nut

P22 vs. M16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx View Post
Not really.

I'm pretty sure that most slutz tend to think of "jamming" as, "A Good Thing".

Seriously,
Emmit Sycamore

Last edited by EmmitSycamore; 13th April 2011 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 21st April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdrivere View Post
The P12's are really nice for overheads, percussion. I liked my ELUX 251's better on my voice. The Peluso's seemed a little compressed sounding on my voice up close. That is my only complaint. For the money paid....great mic.
I'll second that the P12 sounds compressed sounding when singing close up on the mic. I have a 2247SE and it sounds good at any range.
Old 9th May 2013
Gear Maniac
wanted to second your experience: i bought a matched pair of peluso cm6 sdc's from tony @ high profile, and his price was lower than others. a little slow in arriving, but that may have been john peluso instead of tony. anyway, very happy with the transaction, the mics. have never heard the 12, but glad yours works well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search