The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitor "interference" Dynamics Plugins
Old 15th August 2007
Here for the gear

Monitor "interference"

Sorry, that's the best I can come up with to describe my problem.

Here's a more detailed explanation:

• I've had a pair of $300 Alesis M1 MkII's for a couple years. They were powered through a Monster Pro 2500 "power center". Audio came through a couple of very cheap RadioShack cables.

• One of them blew up so I decided to upgrade.

• I set up my new Yamaha HS80's yesterday. Same power center. Brand new Sweetwater brand balanced TRS cables for audio.

• Listening closely, there's a lot of hiss coming out of the Yamahas when they're idling. They sound fine when running, so I wasn't going to worry about that, but...

• When my external hard-drives wind up, the drive sound ("BEEP-whrrrrrrRRRRRRRR!!!!-click") comes out of my right monitor.

• Hard drives are about 6 feet away from the speakers, also plugged into the Monster thing.

• Tried switching L / R audio cables. No change. Still comes out of righty.

• Tried plugging hard drives into the wall. No change.

• For grins, I went back to the RadioShack cables. Holy CRAP hiss and hum! Cheap ****...

• Plugged the working Alesis back in and tried winding up the hard drives with both audio cables. Quiet as a lamb, even w/ the RadioShack crap.

Needless to say, I'm surprised and sad that a pair of a monitors that cost 3x as much are performing so poorly when compared to the $300 Alesis (Alesises? Alesi?).

Is more expensive gear just that much pickier about it's surroundings?

Do you guys deal with this stuff regardless of price?

Should I send these puppies back and try something else?

Thanks in advance for any help / advice ~
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Try switching the physical position of the monitors. If the same one hums regardless you've got a bad monitor. If the hum is still on the right there's something funky going on in your room.
Cheap monitors are usually not sheilded very well against electromagnetic interference. Sometimes you can hear a buzzing in them when your cell phone is about to ring.
Old 15th August 2007
Here for the gear

GAHHHH!!!

I unplugged / unpowered both monitors and switched them. Plug in the opposite monitor's audio and power cables.

Turned off hard drives.

Turned on monitors.

Turned on hard drives.

NO WIND-UP.

I'm a bit shocked (and weirded out) because when I simply swapped the L / R audio plugs on the Traveler, the noise was still there.

Switching both the cables AND the position seems to have done the trick.

How did you know that? Are you a ghost?
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Just troubleshooting.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

if you went to school where lowfreq and i did, you'd be pretty good at trobleshooting as well.
always start at point a and work your way to point b, one piece at a time.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

See guys, school IS good for something after all!
Old 16th August 2007
Here for the gear

Probably just an incomplete chassis ground on the right side, maybe because the power cable wasn't firmly seated at one end or the other, or a bad socket on the power strip. Display and drive noise can be transmitted as a result of poor grounding, as well as ground loops.

I have HS80M's and they do hiss just a bit. I've found them to be EXCELLENT monitors that translate extremely well. Make ya work a bit--not the most flattering presentation but that's not why we bought them, right? I think you'll like them.

n
Old 16th August 2007
Here for the gear

I spoke too soon yesterday; the drive sounds are still present. Looks to be a monitor problem, as I've tried:

• moving the monitor physically

• switching it's audio from right to left

• changed cables

I'm gonna see if Sweetwater will swap me another one for it.

I DO like the way they sound but my ears are far from discriminating.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

nicnite's probably right. Could be something loose physically inside the monitor, when you moved it it could have shifted into place temporarily.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search