The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Silly question about pro tools but very important Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 15th August 2007
Here for the gear

Silly question about pro tools but very important

Hey everyone this is my first post. I searched this forum far and wide and other forums for the answer but couldn't find it. I am a Logic Pro user, I have a 24 channel board going into an Echo Audiofire 12 interface. I really like this interface, as it has enough ins and outs and sounds really good. I also like Logic, and have become very comfortable with using it.

I recently started working with a friend on a studio. He is using pro tools. Now, I have never used pro tools before but really want to get into it as it is the industry standard for the most part. I understand that you can not use pro tools unless you have Digi hardware. My question is this: If I buy an Mbox with pro tools, is there a way that I could have PT use my Echo Audiofire 12 as the default interface as long as I have the Mbox plugged in? (I know it sounds dumb). I personally don't think it would work, but I have heard from several people that it can be done and that they know people who do it. So I want to get a few more opinions from the people here on this matter. It would be a great help with my problem. Its just that pro tools is a big investment, and I JUST upgraded my gear several months ago, and would hate for it to go to waste. I do need the all 12 ins because I record a full drum kit with at the least 10 ins. My friends studio is mostly for hip hop. I do more metal stuff, but I'm also getting into everything else because I want to be a producer of all genres.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Nope, won't work. If the Audio fire had ADAT I'd suggest the M-Audio profire lightbridge and PT M-Powered, but alas.
You could, however, get an mbox and import your tracks after recording into logic. That way you could at least mix and edit in PT but still record your 12 tracks at a time.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, won't work, but a used Digi 002 costs not much more than a new Mbox 2, so maybe think about that.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Head

Or even a digi 001 if you're not bothered about the latest version of PT (digi 001 only goes up to 6.4). You'll still be able to set up sessions and open them for mixing in HD studios with no problem.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search