The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Starting studio need some gear help Condenser Microphones
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Head

Starting studio need some gear help

Hey i am just starting in the recording world and would like some advice in to what i should add next i am a student and would like to know what the best gear for the buck is here is what i have:

White Macbook 2.16 ghz 2 GB Ram
Mbox2
Lacie d2 extreme 320 gig
any input would be nice
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Get some SM57's and a couple of decent pre's. Maybe an AT4040 or Shure KSM27 for vocals. The Massey plugins are cheap and sound great. Then save your money and don't buy anything else until you've learned what you've got from top to bottom.
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Head

hey thanks man i was wondering what kind of a vocal mic to go with and i am getting some 57s in the near future, and what kind of pre's would you suggest
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, no vocal mic will work on every voice, but these are good "all arounders". I wouldn't buy anything expensive until you get some more experience and enough knowledge to form some opinions. The best thing I can share with you is this: Everything depends on what you're recording (the source), and everything is subject to opinion.
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Head

also very good advice thank you
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Head

does any one else have any more advice?
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

What instruments are you recording?

How many sources do you need at one time?

What style of music do you intend on producing?

Do you have a budget in mind?

Soundawg
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Head

Smile

Well i am a student right now i hope one day to be able to do full productions right now i pay to rent a studio but would like to do as much as i can on my own, i want to do all kinds of music but mostly rock to metal music will probably be my focus. If you have anything you have used that kicked ass! thats what i want to know and maybe some advice for me as i move to owning a full studio
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

I would say - try sticking to pieces that have stood the test of time (released more than 10 years ago and still commonly used)... not the newest latest greatest. In doing this you will be buying on the safe side, and training your ears on someting you can trust as 'a good standard'.

First thing you need for a good recording is a good source... so start with your room, get the computer and other noisy crap taken care of and then do a search for room treatment, you will find lots of advice.
Your post says you are renting - so how much time, money, and effort you spend on the room is up to you.

First thing you need with a DAW is good AD/DA conversion, and good speakers to hear what you are doing.

Once you have those, you can start identifiing what is missing from your setup...

...first will probably be good microphones and preamps.

So from the above list - what is your weakest link? Take it from there.

Soundawg
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Head

yeah i would have to say that im lost on good pre's and a good set of monitors to you have any suggestions
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

What kind of budget are you dealing with. Theres quite a lot of semi pro stuff that does the job right. Unless you have really high intentions I think 2 firepods (f10 or what theyre called right now?), pair of monitors, GOOD mics and a couple other stuff would be fine. As soon as you start noticing what you miss you'll be ready to upgrade My point being, you can have all the great gear in the world and still not be able to squeeze out a good production. I know people with firepods that rock out big time
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search