The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New to recording, want to learn protools, suggested audio interface? Audio Interfaces
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Maniac

New to recording, want to learn protools, suggested audio interface?

Okay so I'm fairly new to recording and I want to start learning protools. People tell me that there are only a select few pieces of hardware that will run ProTools. Does that mean I can only have a Digidesign or M-Audio interface in order to run it? Or is it a sound card thing where once I have an approved sound card I can use any interface?

Also, are there vast differences between ProTools LE and M-Powered ProTools? Or is it simply a driver thing? Because I don't want my foundational knowledge of the program to be different from the standard version.

Anyway, I was considering the M-Audio FireWire Solo:
M-AUDIO - FireWire Solo - FireWire Mobile Audio Interface for Songwriter/Guitarists

I think for right now I'm only going to record one or two tracks at a time. Which brings about another question. If I need a second mic, is the quality lessened by using an adapter to go from the xlr on the mic to the 1/4" on the second input? Or is it worth the extra hundred bucks for the next model up just for that one mic input?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search