The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API Lunchbox - A few Q's 500 Series Preamps
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

Question API Lunchbox - A few Q's

Ive been producing now for about 7 years. Got a typical Low End setup, including 2 PC's linked via FX Teleport, Cakewalk Sonar 6PE, Delta1010 interface, SM Pro Audio 8 channel pre, Alesis Monitor Ones and many plugins..

Ive always spent my hard earned dollars on upgrading my PC, upgrading my DAW (Sonar) etc. But am slowly gathering more rack gear, old samplers, synth modules ETC..

Ive been recording more lately - guitar and vocals, as most of my stuff is midi... So Ive been wanting to buy a nice mic pre, compressor and maybe an EQ..

Questions - For lunchbox users - as im too afraid to ask in High End

1. How many of you have an API Lunchbox?

2. Are the modules (once you get the box) worth the money? - In Aus say, the Purple Biz pre is the same price as an ART Gold (dual pre)

3. Apart from in your recording chain, would you use any of the modules (Comps and EQs) when mastering?

Thanks
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Even though API has less expensive items, I would hardly call the lunch box low-end. I like the API pres for tracking certain things. The comps are ok, but a distressor would probably be more beneficial. The 512c is not a bad pre and the 550 is a good eq. Your best bet, get two of each. Never for mastering though. BTW, high end people read in the low-end theory as well.
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretbored View Post
I like the API pres for tracking certain things. The comps are ok, but a distressor would probably be more beneficial. The 512c is not a bad pre and the 550 is a good eq. Your best bet, get two of each. Never for mastering though.
Im just wanting to start to but a bit more "mid-range" pres, and compressors. Ive looked at prices in Australia, and found that a 500-series module will set me back around $1200-1500.. Where as most other outboard gear ranges from $2000-4000..

So even though I would be using the modules mainly for tracking.. Are the 500-series modules (any brand) just not used for mastering..?

Quote:
BTW, high end people read in the low-end theory as well.
Hehe, yeah I know. I just thought I would shout out and see how many Low Enders are using this stuff..
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

I doubt anybody would classify API as "mid range" pres. I have two BAE 312a's and they're fantastic. Soon I'll be getting a GR 500 series. I'm thrilled I can get a channel now for $700 instead of $1000.
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm not going to say you shouldn't try the 525 comp for mastering, it just wouldn't be my choice. If you're talking about tracking and mastering with the same comp, I'd look at a used Manley Vari-Mu. I'm full time in mastering and have auditioned many pieces, so I've learned how the different comps respond. I don't think the API would serve you well for both.
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I doubt anybody would classify API as "mid range" pres. I have two BAE 312a's and they're fantastic. Soon I'll be getting a GR 500 series. I'm thrilled I can get a channel now for $700 instead of $1000.
Thanks. Sounds good.

and sorry when I mentioned API - I didnt mean them specifically. I meant any 500-series manufacturer..
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm not going to say you shouldn't try the 525 comp for mastering, it just wouldn't be my choice.
Thanks.. The main purpose for me buying (or thinking of) the Lunchbox is for recording /tracking purposes only.. I was just thinking If any of the modules could double as a master EQ or Compressor..?
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronique View Post
Thanks..
Anytime.
Old 15th August 2007
Here for the gear

api lunchbox

is not lowend u will not c a lunchbox filled with preamps for under $3000 so its a lot of money and your getting professional sound depending on the 500 series modules you put into the lunchbox
Old 16th August 2007
500 series nutjob

these two thread should just be combined maybe?
same questions more answers

API Lunchbox - A few Q's

Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

i've heard of people using modded api eqs for mastering. modded to .5 dB steps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search