The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Covers for fiberglass???
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

Covers for fiberglass???

Hi there,

Would cloth used for oil painting be good for mid-high frequencies absorption (1" of fiberglass underneath)? I am using 703 for bass trap but I think I need some further mid-high frequency absorption in my room, but I want it to look aesthetically nice. So I am thinking of buying some oil paints from the local art shop as a cover for the fiberglass underneath.

Please shed some light!

Jyc.
Old 15th August 2007
You can test the material by breathing through it. If its easy to breath through, sound should be able to go through. Make sure the fiberglass isn't covered in any plastic or foil or anything. You don't want to reflect the sound waves.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Bleached burlap works well , looks great and is cheap.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

The canvas used for oil paintings should be OK, but only if there is no paint on them. If you are talking about having an actual painting then the material's pores will be blocked and no air will pass.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
The canvas used for oil paintings should be OK, but only if there is no paint on them. If you are talking about having an actual painting then the material's pores will be blocked and no air will pass.
+1
Him speak true.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Find an airbrush/graffitti artist and have him/her paint you up some burlap.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Nut

Just go to a fabric store and get something nice. If you want more absorbsion you could get cordroy or something. Make sure you wash it first to take the crease out and then just lay it on the fiberglass and iron it out from the center. you can wrap it around and attach it to your backing to make it simple.

I framed mine but it was a bit of work.

F.S.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Another trick is to use some 3M spray adhesive...lightly coat the fiberglass and the fabric, then lay the glass panel on the fabric. Helps keep any stray strands from flying loose.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post
Another trick is to use some 3M spray adhesive...lightly coat the fiberglass and the fabric, then lay the glass panel on the fabric. Helps keep any stray strands from flying loose.
You have to be carefull with that stuff. I have used it alot and it's a great product but it can come right threw a thin matirial. As you said "Apply lightly" and make shure everything is just right before putting the fiberglass onto the matirial.

F.S.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search