The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
converting between speaker cable types?
Old 31st July 2007
Gear Addict

converting between speaker cable types?

Hi guys. I have two sets of monitor outs on my interface (both stereo sets of 1/4", it's the 003), and I'm trying to figure out the best way to convert to an older set of speakers.

I have a near-field monitor set but I also have an old pair of 70's Klipsch speakers that sound amazing that I'd like to use for comparison. However, it just has spaces where you just wrap the + and - on the wire around screws.

Any idea on what I'd need to hook these up properly? I'm having a major blank. Thanks!
Old 31st July 2007
Lives for gear

You'll probably need an amp for the Klipsch speakers since they're not self-powered. Right?

Regards,
Bruce
Old 1st August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering View Post
You'll probably need an amp for the Klipsch speakers since they're not self-powered. Right?

Regards,
Bruce
yeah, I've got to put them through a power amp first, but the power amps I have are all XLR and 1/4" connectors. Is there a kind of cable I need?
Old 1st August 2007
Lives for gear

So you're saying the speaker connections on the power amps are XLR/TRS? They should be +/- terminals and the inputs should be either XLR/RCA or whatever.
What is the brand name/model?

Regards,
Bruce
Old 1st August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering View Post
So you're saying the speaker connections on the power amps are XLR/TRS? They should be +/- terminals and the inputs should be either XLR/RCA or whatever.
What is the brand name/model?

Regards,
Bruce
Actually, I don't think I have a power amp for it, my old Phase Linear is a preamp apparently. Here's an image of the cheap Nady ones, just for reference since many are like this:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbas...1/7/228717.jpg

So my 003 would send the L and R through balanced 1/4" to the two inputs on the back, then what would I need to get from regular +/- wire speaker cable into those output plugs?

Thanks so much for your help.
Old 1st August 2007
Lives for gear

You can just use regular 12ga. speaker wire from RatShack. Just unscrew the black/red terminals and the wrap the wire around the terminal. If you want to get more fancy, they look like they're evenly spaced for banana plugs that will just plug into the holes. Red+ and Black-.

Regards,
Bruce

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search