The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
rme ff800 with rme ADI-8? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 22nd July 2007
rme ff800 with rme ADI-8?

hi slutz. i'm looking at using the the rme ff800 with the rme ADI-8 converter. will this give me 16 channels simultaneous recording at 24 bit 96k? also i'd like to be able to make 4 independent headphone mixes using all sixteen inputs. is this possible with this combination? obviosly i'll need an extra 4 shannel headphone amp.
thanks.
Old 24th July 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbob View Post
hi slutz. i'm looking at using the the rme ff800 with the rme ADI-8 converter. will this give me 16 channels simultaneous recording at 24 bit 96k? also i'd like to be able to make 4 independent headphone mixes using all sixteen inputs. is this possible with this combination? obviosly i'll need an extra 4 shannel headphone amp.
thanks.
Yes this is possible with this combo. I do this every day with great results. You get 18 channels of 96k ad though, not 16. I sent you a pm.
Old 24th July 2007
Gear Nut

If your ADI-8 supports 96kHz (as the older versions are 48kHz max.), then this is possible.
Regards
Hermann
Old 24th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuto View Post
If your ADI-8 supports 96kHz (as the older versions are 48kHz max.), then this is possible.
Regards
Hermann
Yeah,

it depends, im still on the ADI-AE... but the ds can do more, doesnt it ?
Old 24th July 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
Yeah,

it depends, im still on the ADI-AE... but the ds can do more, doesnt it ?
No, I don't think so. The ADI-8AE and ADI-8DS have different converter chipsets (AE being a tiny bit more "noisy") but otherwise they are identical. Both offer 96kHz operation over ADAT S/MUX, using two lightpipes for 8 channels. Only the ADI-8QS offers higher sample rates.

Regards
Hermann
Old 24th July 2007
thank you gentlemen. i think i will go with an all rme option. i really love the option of making 4 independent headphone mixes as i feel a great personalised mix for each artist really encourages a great live performance.
hey hermann, that's a nice looking lute you have there. i'm a classical guitarist myself and have always wanted to play a lute. do you use nails or finger tips to pluck the strings?
hugh.
Old 25th July 2007
Gear Nut

Hi Hugh, I play fingertips. But there is nothing to say against playing a single strung theorbo with nails. I even have my archlute single strung, this would be a nice second instrument for a guitarist. There have always been lute players playing with nails, like Piccinini (who even used metal strings). If you are trying to discuss things like this in a lute forum, you can be sure to open a can of worms
By the way, you can get a very nice sound on the guitar with fingertips, not as brillant but very warm and round. A major problem when changing from lute to guitar and vice versa is the highly different string tension: 7kg on a guitar, 3-4kg only on a lute. You really have to get accustomed to this.
Best regards
Hermann
Old 27th July 2007
i know this is off the topic but i can't resist. i play my classical guitar with fingertips after becoming fed up with keeping my nails in good shape. the sound is softer and it's a lot harder to keep an even dynamic but i agree that it can sound good. takes practice though.
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Addict

Can the ADI 8 be used alone as main interface? It seems like it has to be used with 800, is that the case?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search