The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass for recording, will be rarely used and heavily processed...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not sure how cheap they are nowadays but the peavey t40 bass and the peavey t60 electric guitar are pretty great. American made from the 70s and 80s. I picked up a great condition 1979 t60 a few years ago for $400 and it is a wonderful instrument.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
I have played a number of Fender Player Series P-basses and a couple of them have been very good. All of them have been usable. That is an option for bout $750 new.

If you’re willing to go used, I would suggest looking for a 2012 - 2017 American Standard Precision. That era had a great high mass bridge and a Custom Shop pickup that sounds fantastic. I have one strung with flats and it sounds massive recorded. I see them frequently on Reveb around $1200. I found mine on Talkbass for $1000 a bit over a year ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59Bassman ➡️
I have played a number of Fender Player Series P-basses and a couple of them have been very good. All of them have been usable. That is an option for bout $750 new.

If you’re willing to go used, I would suggest looking for a 2012 - 2017 American Standard Precision. That era had a great high mass bridge and a Custom Shop pickup that sounds fantastic. I have one strung with flats and it sounds massive recorded. I see them frequently on Reveb around $1200. I found mine on Talkbass for $1000 a bit over a year ago.
This is sort of the meat I was looking for here. The diamond in the rough. I'm not really a bass guy so I don't know what I'm looking for.

https://reverb.com/item/39674363-fen...ard-2012-black

This guy right here then?
Here for the gear
Nope. That’s a 5 string, and from the description it doesn’t have the correct pickup.

This one is the right era and a 4 string , but the guy is asking a lot for it.

https://reverb.com/item/39443915-fen...ntent=39443915
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59Bassman ➡️
Nope. That’s a 5 string, and from the description it doesn’t have the correct pickup.

This one is the right era and a 4 string , but the guy is asking a lot for it.

https://reverb.com/item/39443915-fen...ntent=39443915
So I am looking for a 5 string given I play from Drop D to Drop B typically, and Drop A\F on occasion. Do they make one with that pickup arrangement? Or just the 4 string?

Or when you hear 5 string does a different one come to mind?
Old 2 weeks ago
I got a mexican jazz bass, I put Fender Custom shop pickups in it and it records great. I'd like to up it a little and put some Fralin pickups in, but it is pretty good and within your budget.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin ➡️
yea. IMO, Proper damping of individual strings is an essential part of a clean recordable bass sound, especially since round-wound bass strings became the norm. Its a technique that isn't learnt much by just playing guitar.
The other technique I worked on 40 years ago when starting out was getting even levels, including for slap and finger style. I had my Tascam Portastudio and worked on consistently hitting the VU meters at the same point for all my notes. It paid off in the long run. Live engineers assumed I use a compressor. I let studio engineers do what they want, but it's better to use compressors for artistically/tonal reasons than to deal with sloppy playing.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous signal ➡️
If I were to have a single studio bass to use for clients whose own bass isn't all that great - and to ensure it had the flexibility and credibility and dependability to walk the talk, it would be a Fender Deluxe Active Precision Bass Special. Active/passive, low noise P and J pickups, with flexible EQ. Robust hardware. Will play well in the hands of most bassists if set up well. Relatively easy to care for and should age well.
Never liked Fender Basses (although I do have an ~80s precision fretless I bought in 1990) but that guitar look like a great value versatile workhorse – tempted to get one. Like the passive/active option too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➡️
Here's the thing about those P + J basses, whether modded or factory. The "scoop" of the tone on a J is entirely because of the placement of the two pickups
Oh, I agree entirely. The J pickup isn't there to make it sound like a J bass. It's just there to allow a bit of extra brightness to be blended into the P sound when you need it.

Especially for recording, it's easier to have a little extra brightness on the bass and tame in later than it is to try and create extra brightness if the P bass tone turns out a little dark.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
It's in the fingers, I can get a comb filtering and reverb if I play behind the bridge.

On a serious note, I follow the theory that a nice neck, nice action, nut, weight etc, that comes in more for gigging comfort.

If I'm recording, I focus more on the pickups. So with that in mind, I would get a cheap P bass clone, probably a Squier and at some stage upgrade the pickups. I know people argue it's not worth upgrading a cheap guitar, but if it's for recording and you're not to fussed about playability, eh, it's what I do.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's the thing about those P + J basses, whether modded or factory. The "scoop" of the tone on a J is entirely because of the placement of the two pickups, the distance between them, and the lo-mid cancellation that it causes. You can't get that with a P+J because the neck (P) pickup is in the wrong place. Some styles and some tracks need the P thing (solid, punchy, all-frequencies-included) and some need the J (brights+deeps+notch). You don't get both in one instrument.
I always thought the J has the right sweet spot for me with the neck pickup up on full, and the bridge pickup abou20 degree off full
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I would get a p-bass kit and put really high end hardware and electronics inside, my kit bass sounds as good if not better than a USA made one.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin ➡️
I always thought the J has the right sweet spot for me with the neck pickup up on full, and the bridge pickup abou20 degree off full
I've owned a few J's and I had one that was very much like that. Funny thing, it was an all-original '66, black with black headstock, dots/no binding (a collector Grail, in other words) so altering it would have cut its resale value in half. I sold it in around 2007, at the peak of biggest Guitar Bubble we've ever experienced, but not without some regrets. That thing was perfect in every other respect.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Fender Precision or Jazz, passive pickups.

If you will rarely be using it, you might want to consider just renting a nice one when you need it instead of buying meh..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Current Fender Player Precisions are wonderful instruments. Not just for the money but by any measure. I sold a $1500 bass before I bought mine. I’m very happy I made the change. Precisions just inherently sit in mixes really well. No futzing with mixing neck and bridge pickups. Just plug in and go. Maybe roll back the tone a bit depending on application.

Your decision really goes to what sort of a person you are. Does low end gear satisfy you? Then a Squier or some other low end instrument might be a good choice.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'm using the very unfashionable headless 1990's Washburn by Status S1000 Mark King bassguitar for all my stuff. It's a true gem and a well kept secret too.

Being a producer and not a full time bassist this one is my go to bass. It really covers a very wide range of sounds from almost P-bass'y core passive sound to a very high powered active pick-up brightness with a very round and full body and earth shattering bottom.... and you can get it fairly cheap at times

Check it out if you get the chance,

https://reverb.com/item/10781399-was...closet-classic
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have an Aria Pro P-style bass (pickups are P-style, but no scratch plate etc.) which really plays great. Good neck feel, light body, such a nice instrument to play. Not entirely sure of the original pickups, but they can be replaced with anything to your liking. Probably pop some Bartolini's in there some day… Get the ones from the 80ies/early 90ies. Those are still from Japan and pretty good instruments. Often available for not much.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The Squier CV basses are incredible good for the money. I own about 10 Fender basses of all ages, don't own a Squier CV, but the ones I tried in shops always impressed me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you want a shorter scale, the fender mustang p/j is a great bass. That’s my main bass now and always records well. I put dimarzio pickups in so that the j pickup was quiet, and I love it. I rarely use the J pickup though- yes, a little more detail but the cool thing the p pickup has gets lost when the J is switched on. It seems like a bass that I see in a lot of studios and a great bass for guitarists that play bass once in a while. The squier vintage modified Jaguar short scale is very similar as well.

Also, the sx basses from rondo have fantastic necks and decent pickups, but it’s so easy to replace a p pickup if you don’t like the one that’s in there. But I know a lot of people that buy them with the intent to mod them and wind up just leaving the pickups because they sound good.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 ➡️
If you want a shorter scale, the fender mustang p/j is a great bass. That’s my main bass now and always records well.
The problem with having a short scale bass as your only bass is that short is your only choice. If you get a long-scale bass you can capo up (and tune down) to make the scale as short as you want.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP ➡️
The Squier CV basses are incredible good for the money. I own about 10 Fender basses of all ages, don't own a Squier CV, but the ones I tried in shops always impressed me.
Absolutely.

I've got a few nice guitars but I've historically done the old "I just need to grab a cheap bass to track with" thing multiple times. Buy 'em, sell 'em, never grew attached to any of them.

Last year I played one of the Squier Classic Vibe P basses. I decided to take it home very quickly. This thing sounds amazing. The PUs are legit. Apparently AlNico V.

Don't remember what I paid...around $400??

I'm sure the bridge material isn't as nice as a USA made one and the pots aren't CTS but it's a great bass regardless of price considerations.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The problem with having a short scale bass as your only bass is that short is your only choice. If you get a long-scale bass you can capo up (and tune down) to make the scale as short as you want.
True, but unfortunately I have psoriatic arthritis that no longer allows me to play long scale basses for more than a few minutes (bass is my primary instrument), so I have no choice. I also like the sound a lot. But, if one doesn’t have that same limitation, then what you say is true, although I never had luck trying the capo method in the past. I did try it for a little while before I moved to short scale though.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Here's the thing about those P + J basses, whether modded or factory. The "scoop" of the tone on a J is entirely because of the placement of the two pickups, the distance between them, and the lo-mid cancellation that it causes. You can't get that with a P+J because the neck (P) pickup is in the wrong place. Some styles and some tracks need the P thing (solid, punchy, all-frequencies-included) and some need the J (brights+deeps+notch). You don't get both in one instrument.
That's a great explanation between those two basses.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Depending on the song, playing into a real analog compressor goes a long way to getting a pro sound. Maybe not for jazz or folk, though. Even a cheap Behringer pedal sounds way better than a plugin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goom ➡️
Depending on the song, playing into a real analog compressor goes a long way to getting a pro sound. Maybe not for jazz or folk, though. Even a cheap Behringer pedal sounds way better than a plugin.
What about metal and industrial?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickerz ➡️
What about metal and industrial?
I know some people whose sound is hardly changed by limiting. They play, and the needles on the machine just stay steady... every note peaks at the same point. I know some other people whose sound is dramatically affected by limiting, it totally changes the effect of everything. I am inclined to think that the players in the first category are just more skilled players, but some of the players in the second category have a sound that is sometimes the right sound.

It certainly will never hurt to try a little limiting. In the case of metal, you might want to try a whole lot of limiting and maybe even gating the crap out of it to kill the leading edge of the notes. With really dense mixes as are common for that sort of music, a lot of your mixing struggle becomes trying to keep the kick drum and the bass from stepping on one another and techniques like that can help.
--scott
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Don’t get cute or over think it. A passive p or j is the perfect studio solution for tracking bass 90% of the time. There is no room for improvement.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicMuffins ➡️
Don’t get cute or over think it. A passive p or j is the perfect studio solution for tracking bass 90% of the time. There is no room for improvement.
Oh for sure. I am just trying to find a bass that inspires me and gives me GAS. Every bass I look at I'm just bored with. Where as with guitar I'd buy a thousand if I could. So if I could just find one Precision I think is pretty cool for $1500 I'd be happy.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

The Squire stuff is great these days. I’ve got a Squire jazz bass and an American Standard Tele and American Standard Strat and the Squire absolutely holds up to those 2
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickerz ➡️
So if I could just find one Precision I think is pretty cool for $1500 I'd be happy.
If you don't care about hardshell cases you can probably pick up a Mexican Fender P-Bass AND Jazz Bass for about that much. Pick the colors you want, they make them in a huge array! I went tobacco burst/parchment pickguard for the P- and then Buttercream/white pickguard for the J- and they record great (put on flatwounds if you value the skin on your fingers). There was briefly a tortoise shell pickguard on the P-, but went back to parchment because variety is the spice of life I say
📝 Reply