The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need plug-in advice, do the included digi 003 plug ins blow?
Old 15th July 2007
Here for the gear

Need plug-in advice, do the included digi 003 plug ins blow?

We have a digi 003 rack with the ignition pack 2, the cheap bundle not the factory one. We will be recording our own CD that will be mixed all ITB. No fancy ad/da or outboard gear except for some kick ass pres and mics we will be renting for the session.

Question about the stock digi plugs - how do they rate?

I was using the included bomb factory 1176 on a couple of guitar tracks that I layed down with the 003 pres and it seemed kind of bland. I was hearing better results with the digi compressor I think.

Anyway, all we really will be needing is some comp, verb and delay plugs (maybe some mastering plug when we get that far). For a budget in the $500 range, is there a bundle that is recommended? Or for that price range is there not going to be much differance over he digi stuff?

Also, are plugs popular for tracking, like if some comp is needed, or is it better to use a little transparent outboard compression going in, like an rnc etc?
Old 15th July 2007
Lives for gear

Some of the plugs are good. I do really like EQIII and Dyanmics III.
I think you will need some kind of warming plugins and if you need another EQ or Compressor you need to look no further than Massey.

As for reverb TL space can probably be found on ebay.

Check these out.

PSPaudioware.com - audio processors and effects plug-ins in VST, DirectX, MAS, AudioUnit, RTAS format for Mac and PC
TriTone Digital - For The Love of Tone!
High-end plug-ins for Pro Tools
Old 15th July 2007
Lives for gear

Agreed about the DynIII and EQIII. Just add the Massey comp + EQ and limiter and you'll be good to go for a while.

Oh, and you're gonna need a decent reverb. I'm using McDsp Revolver and it's decent.
Old 15th July 2007
Lives for gear

The factory bundle plugins aren't bad, but they're mostly special effect types of things. I'd spend the $500 and get McDSP's project pack, decent plugs and they cover all the bases.
+1 for EQIII.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search