The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic preamp or channel strip for home VO on budget
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Mic preamp or channel strip for home VO on budget

Greetings community,

I need some advice on gear. That's why most of you are here, right?

I am starting to do my hobby as kind of a voice over actor. Like narrating audiobooks, lectures, fairytales etc. My gear set is just a couple of mics (AudioTechnica 2035 and Rode Procaster) wired into Tascam UH-7000 audio interface. The recording room is treated in some way but that's not the point.
Recently I started to think about getting some preamp or maybe a channel strip for two purposes: one is that gain level on my Tascam is set to almost maximum when I use Procaster mic; other reason is that I want to add some colouring to my voice.

But (here is the kicker) since it is just a hobby of mine, I have a very limited budget. I mean it should be not more than 300 bucks. But it could (and probably should) be a used equipment.

I was thinking about next options available in my country (Ukraine) second hand:
- dbx 286s
- dbx 376
- focusrite voicemaster pro
- presonus studio channel

Please give me some more professional thoughts on the matter.
Old 5 days ago
A Triton Audio FEThead would be my best recommendation for your setup.

I have a Voicemaster Pro from a time long ago when inbuilt preamps were sometimes dubious, plugins were not what they are today and low latency monitoring was hard to achieve. In any case, its preamp is nice, as is it's EQ, the compressor is also OK. The other signal processors are a bit gimicky and to heavy handed and if used at all often need to be on near minimum settings to avoid baking over processing into your tracks.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Many thanks!

Not sure if I will end up with something like fethead because I'm looking for some saturation or processing. But thank you for your opinion on the Focusrite! I read a lot about that thing and general impression is very controversial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemmarius View Post
Focusrite ... controversial
Yeah, it allows for heavy handed processing which is very easy to overdo. Also, some of the processing options are just things that very few people would (should?) ever use and seem like kinda a waste ... so I can see why it's controversial as a result.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous signal View Post
some of the processing options are just things that very few people would (should?) ever use and seem like kinda a waste ... s
Like that "Vintage harmonic" section, right? I mean, why would average user wanted to make voice constantly sound like a bad old tape? There are plugins for that.
Well, anyway, still thinking and not crossing off this piece of eqiupment.
📝 Reply