The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
44.1 vs. 48 Sample Rate
Old 18th May 2019
Quote:
It's very clear. The minute errors are so minute they barely show up - they are in the noise floor.

Sample rate conversion does not have to be in even multiples to get the best result. From Wikipedia:
Do not quote WIKI. You or me can go in there and edit it to say Mickie mouse is president of China. Wiki means nothing.

But you proved my point, you said they barely show up. That means there are errors. Point proven! Right!
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
But you proved my point, you said they barely show up. That means there are errors. Point proven! Right!
No. Your point was that converting from a sample rate that is a multiple of the final sample rate yields better results because the math is simpler, but that is wrong on at least two fronts.

First, the math is not simpler - the same math is used regardless of the initial and final sample rates.

Second, converting from a multiple (e.g., 88.2 down to 44.1) yields the same type of minuscule rounding errors as converting from 96 to 44.1. So 1) converting from 96 to 44.1 is not worse than converting from 88.2 down to 44.1 since they both yield the same type of errors, and 2) in either case, the rounding errors after conversion via a high quality SRC algorithm are down in area of -170dB or lower, so they’ll never ever be heard.
Old 20th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Do not quote WIKI. You or me can go in there and edit it to say Mickie mouse is president of China. Wiki means nothing.

Just because it was wiki, does not make the info automatically wrong. I also mentioned that this was not where I first learned how SRC really works, or the only resource for this information. Again I quoted wiki purely out of convenience, and for YOUR enlightenment, NOT mine.

If you really want to understand how SRC really works you can go research it for yourself.

Every process introduces errors/distortions. We only care about the distortions that are audible, or eventually become audible because of subsequent processing or gain changes.

I'm done here. You only seem to can about winning an argument, and not having a discussion that is based in science.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
lmao

This topic = bad cold
haha - they're closer at getting rid of that
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Do not quote WIKI. You or me can go in there and edit it to say Mickie mouse is president of China.
You're about 10 years behind the internet. People can't just go and do that any more and anyway, even when you could, the leads on each area get notifications, check it and change it back if there is no proof given for the change.

You *might* manage to catch the rogue edit if you're lucky, but it gets changed back pretty quickly.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I miss being able to randomly edit MickeyPedia

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search