The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If you were going to spend $800 on near field monitors, what would you get?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

If you were going to spend $800 on near field monitors, what would you get?

I’m using the $800 mark because that’s what a pair of Focal Alpha 6s cost and the choice I’m leaning towards. I’m interested in hearing about other options though. I’m only interested in front ported models because of the placement of my monitor stands relative to the corners and the size of my control room. Currently I’m using Event PS6s but would like to make a change for the better. All opinions welcome, thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
I spent a long time listening to a ton of monitors < $1k, and settled on Neumann KH120. FWIW. Everybody's room, music style, preferences are different. And there are so many choices.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
I spent a long time listening to a ton of monitors < $1k, and settled on Neumann KH120. FWIW. Everybody's room, music style, preferences are different. And there are so many choices.
the neumanns are $699.00 (each)

that'd be $1400 for the pair,
way over the OP's range.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If it wasn’t for the higher US price I would have also said the Neumann KH120’s or KH80DSP. However, within the OP’s budget, the Kali LP6’s offer fantastic value for money and would be my recommendation. These out perform monitors that cost double the price and you would need to be buying something like the Neumanns to be a worthwhile step up!
Old 2 weeks ago
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by batsbrew View Post
the neumanns are $699.00 (each)

that'd be $1400 for the pair,
way over the OP's range.
Oops... yeah my bad. I paid $699 each. Apologies. I'm hard at work on this "reading with comprehension" thing.

A friend has a pair of Adam T8V, which I use regularly at his place. Seems that the mixes I do on them translate very well outside of his room. I've considered a pair as a second reference against the Neumanns for my room. I actually brought the 120's to his studio and compared them. The Adams stood tall in the comparison.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Presonus Sceptre 6.......hands down
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Find a used pair of Genelec 1030A. Or Adam A7x...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Focal Alpha 80s are a hundred more, though you might be able to barter or get two separates to reduce the difference.

https://reverb.com/p/focal-alpha-80-active-monitor-pair

https://reverb.com/p/focal-alpha-80-...monitor-single
Old 2 weeks ago
If you are OK with used monitors - save a few more dollars and hunt around Reverb for used KH120's. That's what I did - and these were an improvement over my Yamaha hs5 with sub setup.

YMMV, etc etc
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Honestly, the JBL LSR 308 ($199/ea right now) and a used KRK S10 sub for $225-250.
Old 1 week ago
What about just getting one $800 speaker, instead of budgeting $800 for two. That way you get to see what the big whoop is and then you also get to "check in mono" or at least mix the important mono sounds on whats supposed to be a quality $800 speaker. keep what you have for stereo mixing.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejnyc View Post
Honestly, the JBL LSR 308 ($199/ea right now) and a used KRK S10 sub for $225-250.
May I suggest the JBL306s with the matching LSR310 sub for ca. $750.- street price. The 306 sound better than the 308s imho, clearer mids, better imaging.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyspencer View Post
What about just getting one $800 speaker, instead of budgeting $800 for two. That way you get to see what the big whoop is and then you also get to "check in mono" or at least mix the important mono sounds on whats supposed to be a quality $800 speaker. keep what you have for stereo mixing.
That is an intriguing, but terrible advice! (sorry! nothing personal!!)
You need two speakers.
You can check in mono on a really ****ty speaker or hit that mono switch
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Adam A7x are a good quality well priced monitor.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioloud View Post
That is an intriguing, but terrible advice! (sorry! nothing personal!!)
You need two speakers.
You can check in mono on a really ****ty speaker or hit that mono switch
Yea 2 speakers. Thats why I said OP should keep the pair they have. I think Getting a single $800 dollar speaker now so at least so you can listen to it. Most speaker tests are done using only one speaker anyways. Save more money then get another $800 speaker later if desired. other wise its not really going to make much of a difference i wouldnt think as an "upgrade".... Or in the same amount of time it takes to get another single $800 speaker, youd have outgrown or just gotten used to the $800 pair.

I mean thats pretty much what I am doing right now except with a different budget. I have a stereo playback source. And a single speaker I budgeted for. I toggle back and forth.
I use a stereo output from audio device via TRS into the monitor. This doesnt make it stereo but i can hear the 2 channels coming out of 1 speaker.

not sure why its bad advice?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravymanstan View Post
If you are OK with used monitors - save a few more dollars and hunt around Reverb for used KH120's. That's what I did - and these were an improvement over my Yamaha hs5 with sub setup.

YMMV, etc etc
This
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyspencer View Post
Yea 2 speakers. Thats why I said OP should keep the pair they have. I think Getting a single $800 dollar speaker now so at least so you can listen to it. Most speaker tests are done using only one speaker anyways. Save more money then get another $800 speaker later if desired. other wise its not really going to make much of a difference i wouldnt think as an "upgrade".... Or in the same amount of time it takes to get another single $800 speaker, youd have outgrown or just gotten used to the $800 pair.

I mean thats pretty much what I am doing right now except with a different budget. I have a stereo playback source. And a single speaker I budgeted for. I toggle back and forth.
I use a stereo output from audio device via TRS into the monitor. This doesnt make it stereo but i can hear the 2 channels coming out of 1 speaker.

not sure why its bad advice?
You basically work in mono then. It is important to check in mono once in a while, but people work in stereo, that means two speakers.
The final product we provide most of the time is on two channels. Left and Right. Never on one. (might go to 6 or even 9)
Have you ever been to a studio where the main monitors were; one monitor?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Yamaha HS8 or KRK V6S4 on sale. Maybe I'd wing it for the Tannoy Gold 8.
Old 1 week ago
Let me try this again.

Ok. So this thread is called If you were going to spend $800 on near field monitors, what would you get?.

What I've been explaining is that if I was going to invest $800 on near field monitors. I would just spend that money on one nicer monitor instead of getting two $400 dollar monitors. Because, I already have a pair of monitors that I am used to (the pair I'd be upgrading, the pair I already have).I don't have to forever use or only mix on just one $800 monitor. Down the road when I get more money to spend I could add another $800 monitor to then have a STEREO set of nice monitors.

This is a very practical move.

Now, you might say that having a nice single monitor(mono) is totally useless but, I disagree because arguably all the core elements in a mix are all mono. For example: Vocals, kick drum, bass, lead guitar, etc.

It doesn't hurt to listen and mix core elements in mono. Especially on a nice monitor.
But yes, in order to make a stereo mix. You need two sources of sound L&R.

*I don't mix in mono. I mix in stereo. Sometimes, I just like to hear what it sounds like when its either L or R or both through one speaker.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Buy just the woofer to start out.

You can get the high frequency driver, the crossover and the speaker box later when you are sure you actually like the look and smell of the low frequency driver.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Neumann kh80
Hedd type 05
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Used Genelec 8030.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

This thread has gotten nuts but i really appreciate all the feedback. So no love for the Focal Alpha 6s?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yamaha are the only true mixing monitors under, like, $1200. But they're rear ported.

If you can stretch your budget, Neumanns. They're the first step up from Yamahas. If you can't, just get the Yamahas and don't even look at other brands, they all make hifi junk in your price range.

Avoid all KRKs, including the V-series, they're all unusable garbage.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think high on your list should be 2 options that have only been released with the last year or so: the Tannoy Gold 8 and the Kali IN-8. Both are $800/pair.

Last edited by Woodwindy; 1 week ago at 05:53 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewbaker View Post
This thread has gotten nuts but i really appreciate all the feedback. So no love for the Focal Alpha 6s?
You asked for other options. I LOVE my Focal Alpha 65s.
Old 1 week ago
I use Golden Ear Aeon 2's here. Paid $800 for the pair. They are fed from an Adcom GFA 545 and I use Kimber 8TC speaker cables.

www.goldenear.com
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I've done a lot of mixing on JBL LSR305, Yamaha HS8 and IK Multimedia MTM lately. I prefer the Yamaha HS8 and IK Multimedia MTM. Both are absolutely great choices. If you haven't done excessive amounts of treatment to your room the IK Multimedia MTM are my preferred choice. Placing them a couple feet away from you gives you the advantage of a 40Hz range and mixes that will translate. I've been bringing them to live gigs where I have to mix live and stream live simultaneously. They've been great.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Coming from Yamaha HS8’s in a treated room, how much of a sound/mixing difference would one hear stepping up to Neumanns?
📝 Reply