The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vanguard v13 or SMB7
Old 5th August 2020
Here for the gear

Vanguard v13 or SMB7

Hi, I’m new here as well as to production. I currently have the akg c214 and after using it for a few weeks I realized my voice is not a fit for it. It seems like I have a bit of shrillness to my high end which gets magnified by the mic. Either way, I’ve been offered by a friend to buy his brand new vanguard v13 for $700. I’ve seen many really amazing reviews about the product and I am interested. But... I’m currently set up in my basement which is unfinished and a big open room (I built a pvc pipe/moving blankets booth but it’s still not the most optimal situation) and I’m afraid a mic like that might be a bad idea for my room.

The other mic I’m considering is the famous SM7B which I don’t know anything about all I know is is that’s its literally on every single list of best mid range mics and supposedly it’s good for an untreated room. But I don’t know anything about it.

Are there any other mics I should be considering (max max 700)? Some info about me if it’s helpful: well, firstly my room. I have a soft tone in my low register and a powerful, ever so slightly shrill high frequencies mixed in, and a hint of nasal.
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

Welcome to GS Jack!
My generic suggestion for your situation, would be the Beyer M88TG for your first vocal mic.
(this is GS-do you really think you can only have one!!)

Sounds like you have a great opportunity, to treat that area, to open up more options-not just vocals.
Chris
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear
I’d rather have the vanguard for vocals. It’s a nice, neutral voiced condenser. Adds a slight amount of tube warmth to the signal. It isn’t difficult to make a rather dead space for vocals.

Edit: somewhere on this site I posted some unscientific comparisons between the vanguard and my 3u audio gz251 fet. I ended up sticking with the gz251 because I liked the weight and air it added to the signal. Might be a good option, too. $600 new if bought direct.
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Head
I'd go with the Vanguard myself. The SM7B is a cool mic for sure but it needs so much gain (25-30dB more than most condensers for the same spl at the input and record level in a DAW).

Other mics to consider:
- Vanguard V4
- Warm WA87
- Roswell Mini K47 or Mini K87
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackScale View Post
Hi, I’m new here as well as to production. I currently have the akg c214 and after using it for a few weeks I realized my voice is not a fit for it.... any other mics I should be considering (max $700)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Welcome to GS Jack!
My generic suggestion for your situation, would be the Beyer M88TG for your first vocal mic.
Hi Jack,

Firstly, ignore Mr Chessparov - he's always on about the BeyerDynamic M88TG as being best for every musical application under the sun like a broken record! (Just kidding Chris - I just ordered a second M88TG this week myself! )

Secondly, what is a big help is if you can:

a) please list the rest of your gear in detail
b) tell us roughly what ballpark your musical style is
c) ideally post a clip of you singing into your C214 so we can get an idea of what your voice sounds like - absent that it's all pretty much shots in the dark

Thirdly, if you don't buy that Vanguard V13 for $700 I will!
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Not sure how good of a friend you have there, as a new model of that mic, albeit an open box special, can be found for almost the same price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/333674890917
It does seem to be a nice mic though, although I have not heard it, it has to be worlds better than that 214. But then, what isn't? In any case, if he wants to sell you the mic, he (or she) should let you try it out first in your own space to see if it works for you.

Maybe you can also find a friend with an Sm7b to let you try?
Because it sounds like you are looking for your main vocal mic, and for a somewhat challenging voice by your comments above, so perhaps you should try before you buy, if at all possible, regardless of which mic you may end up choosing.

Having said that, given your description of your voice and recording space, I would recommend a Sennheiser 441, usually available slightly used at around your budget.

IMHO. Good luck.

Last edited by edva; 6th August 2020 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: +
Old 15th August 2020
Lives for gear

akg 214/414 are very bright and aggressive mics. i don't recommend them usually. 414 is good for drum overheads, and sometimes works on vocals, but often not.

warm audio wa-47 is interesting, but above your price.

audio technica makes great mics at the price points they are at. they are never overpriced for what you get. the at4040 is only $300 and will get you clarity without shrillness. the at4050 is more money, but is multipattern.

Last edited by gearstudent; 15th August 2020 at 05:50 PM..
📝 Reply