The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Please give me some tips/ideas on setting up my mics to capture a great sound of my drum kit
Old 4th August 2020
Here for the gear

Please give me some tips/ideas on setting up my mics to capture a great sound of my drum kit

Hey guys,
I have slowly been growing my mic collection and'll soon be recording demos for my band. I will be recording (guitar, drums, bass) at a local rehearsal studio, a relatively large acoustically treated room. For experimenting with mic placement i will be recording in my garage- it's quite reverb-y.
Oh, and I'm wanting to record all of us playing together, but i'm also thinkin maybe it might be better to record just bass and drums together then overdub
guitar later. Thoughts?

My main focus is on getting the best drum tracks that i can. Our drummer is great, and I think getting an awesome drum recording is going to be the foundation of the mix.
Ideally, i would like to get a natural, clear, punchy drum sound with some nice sizzle on the cymbals.
Here's what I got to record drums with:
-AKG P170 (x2) for overheads
-Sennheiser e-602 for kick
-Sennheiser e-904 (x2) for toms
-SM57 on snare
-Shure Beta 56A on snare

I would appreciate any advice on placement of the mics, what part of the kit i should use them on, how far i should place the amps from the kit etc..
Thanks!
Also sorry if i posted in the wrong forum, please let me know and i'll post in a different forum. (:
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Drum sound is as much or more the drummer, drums, tuning and room involved than the gear so before you even think about placing mics make sure you have all those things in place.

If you are looking for old school drum sounds less mics is usually better. If you want a modern sound then more mics and use of gates is kind of standard. It all depends what you are after, what you have to work with, and what skills you have in the more heavy manipulation of sound if that's your kind of approach.

Also if the drummer is up for it I would suggest spending as much time as you can stand with just the two of you recording drums without the rest of the band so you can search for the sounds you are after. It's really about what you put into it, if you just throw mics up and record whatever you get it's probably going to sound like it.
Old 4th August 2020
Trial and Error

What I suggest doing first is having your band play together and recording everything and everybody with 1 microphone placed somewhere in the room. Stop. Listen back and determine what you can or cant hear or what you want to hear more of, then put a mic on it. Repeat. If I end up using multiple microphones I try switching the polarity on each mic to see what it does.
Keep in mind while playing live in the same room you're gunna have to figure out where to place the amps so that everyone can hear themselves and each other, and to try and get decent isolation. Bleed is perfectly fine and somewhat inevitable, but I don't really want the guitar mic picking up more drums than guitar and the vocal mic picking up mostly drums and bass, ya feel? I'll use noise gates to help with this, but mainly its all about placement.
Most importantly your band has to work on sounding good together, as in mixing yourselves. An important step is to make sure the vocals can be easily heard by the band and not drowned out by loud drums or loud anything for that matter.don't fight each other for volume .
I've found that if it sounds good in the room it'll sound good recorded.
Old 5th August 2020
Here for the gear

@ JLast
Our drummer is very good and he's got a nice kit, i also recently bought a drum tuner we can use (It was a very worthy investment as i cannot tune drums for sh!t lol)
so there shouldn't really be issues in that department. The room, however, i still need to look more into.

To be completely honest, im still not 100% sure what sound i'm goin for.. I have a vague idea though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn44MFNpGc8
This is kinda the vibe i'm going for; I like the drum sound, especially the toms. I don't have a whole lot of skill in mixing, but i can get a song to sound decent. I'd really like to get these tracks recorded with as limited work needed in post.

I'm sure drummer man will be up for recording just drums sometime, that's very good advice. In the past with recording in my garage, we just threw up mics and got recording.. and yep your're right,it really sounded like it lol.

Last edited by Max_; 5th August 2020 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: mentioning who im replying to
📝 Reply