The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Grand piano recording (lyxpro - isk little gems)
Old 4th August 2020
Here for the gear

Grand piano recording (lyxpro - isk little gems)

I just got into purchasing audio equipment and microphones and I currently own sm57, sm58 and at2035 with a scarlett 2i4. I was using those mainly for indoor spoken word vocals. I would like to record classical grand piano now and read that sdpc omni mics are the best for this. I was thinking of renting a good pair but the price for a week rental (for example oktavas mk-012) comes out to about the same as buying lyxpros or little gems. My access to the piano is limited in time so purchasing my own is far more convenient. The room is pretty big being the entire floor of a house (8m x 10m mostly open with some walls) with variable height high ceilings (4m - 8m). Because of the flexibility i would like to substantially test out a pair of sdpc mics before deciding if i want to purchase or rent better ones and came down to the lyxpro or isk little gems. I am first off wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for my current situation? And also should i get the little gems or lyxpro for this situation? Ive read that the little gems are great for the price but was interested in the lyxpro since they seem to come together and therefore might be a matched pair? Any advice is appreciated
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamix View Post
I just got into purchasing audio equipment and microphones and I currently own sm57, sm58 and at2035 with a scarlett 2i4. I was using those mainly for indoor spoken word vocals. I would like to record classical grand piano now and read that sdpc omni mics are the best for this. I was thinking of renting a good pair but the price for a week rental (for example oktavas mk-012) comes out to about the same as buying lyxpros or little gems. My access to the piano is limited in time so purchasing my own is far more convenient. The room is pretty big being the entire floor of a house (8m x 10m mostly open with some walls) with variable height high ceilings (4m - 8m). Because of the flexibility i would like to substantially test out a pair of sdpc mics before deciding if i want to purchase or rent better ones and came down to the lyxpro or isk little gems. I am first off wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for my current situation? And also should i get the little gems or lyxpro for this situation? Ive read that the little gems are great for the price but was interested in the lyxpro since they seem to come together and therefore might be a matched pair? Any advice is appreciated
They are exactly the same mic, I have 2 of each. I doubt they are a matched pair on either brand, but I use them for many things and they work well.

I use the 12gauge microphones black 212 stereo mic on piano constantly and I love it there. I got a clamp on amazon (i think the brand is camvate?) that works really well to attach it to the rib of a Steinway, with a pad of gaffer tape so I don’t scratch anything. I like it better than the earthworks piano mics that I was using.
Attached Thumbnails
Grand piano recording (lyxpro - isk little gems)-529f0a9f-c8da-4352-8f69-0bc225282940.jpeg   Grand piano recording (lyxpro - isk little gems)-c8bac15e-6bf6-48e8-8f52-c51994b47762.jpeg  
📝 Reply