The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iLoud MTM vs Kali LP6
Old 3rd August 2020
Here for the gear

iLoud MTM vs Kali LP6

I want to upgrade from my small iLoud Micros. They have served me fine, but want to get a fuller sound. I don’t critically mix, but write guitar/bass music at home in an untreated space. The Kali LP6 are much bigger and would give me better bass. There’s also the iLoud MTM, which calibrate themselves for flatter response, but are over twice the price. They are dual 3.5” drivers. It seems like larger drivers are typically suggested, but those MTMs have gotten great reviews. I can’t decide which would be a better option for my eager needs, or if I should forget them both and look into full sized 8” monitors. I’m just working with a MacBook and Audient iD14, although I plan to upgrade the interface substantially in the near future too.
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Bumping this one for you, JBVN. I have a small space and have nearly pulled the trigger on the Kali LP6's multiple times....but they just seem too big for my small studio area. If the iLoud MTM "advertised" frequency response really gets down to 40Hz then I'd be willing to pay the extra bucks for them (plus they have speaker grills). The size is quite compact and I'd monitor at low volume...so I don't expect clipping would be an issue for me (as some have mentioned). I listen mostly through an old pair of Sony MDR-V6 headphones (which I love) ...but really want a set of studio monitors as well. Hoping someone else can chime in. Cheers.
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVN View Post
I want to upgrade from my small iLoud Micros. They have served me fine, but want to get a fuller sound. I don’t critically mix, but write guitar/bass music at home in an untreated space. The Kali LP6 are much bigger and would give me better bass. There’s also the iLoud MTM, which calibrate themselves for flatter response, but are over twice the price. They are dual 3.5” drivers. It seems like larger drivers are typically suggested, but those MTMs have gotten great reviews. I can’t decide which would be a better option for my eager needs, or if I should forget them both and look into full sized 8” monitors. I’m just working with a MacBook and Audient iD14, although I plan to upgrade the interface substantially in the near future too.
And it’s the directivity of the larger 10-12” drivers used to create those tones you crave. An 8” two way gets close when the tweeter is crossed high enough to not get in the way and allow the woofer to beam a little. Those whose tweeter is in a substantial waveguide to actually create some directivity in the highs are also helpful.

The Presonus Eris8 XT do both very well at an affordable price. Positioning is equally important.......keep the tweeters off your ears vertical axis for a more real cab sound.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Fwiw I have been mixing on Adams for nearly 5 years and p20 and the a7x, and recently needed to make a small rig while taking care of a family member out of town.

I gambled on the MTMs after reading reviews and loved the original smaller micro monitors. These though...I was blown away.

Definitely keepers. Mixing the past 2 weeks on them and a single mix cube along my trusty dt770 headphones has been totally workable in every way.
📝 Reply