The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone built a shed for mixing?
Old 27th July 2020
Question Anyone built a shed for mixing?

Old 27th July 2020
Lives for gear

I don't see your audio gear just a shop vac and some tools.
Old 27th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
I don't see your audio gear just a shop vac and some tools.
You never used a shop-vac for analog reverb?
Old 27th July 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
Didn't ace of base use a Shopvac hose in "All that she wants" ?

edit: you know that effect you get when you lasso the hose around and the air travels through the hose and escapes creating this weird whistling sound
Old 27th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think that requires less vac and more hose.

I have read about putting a speaker at one end of a hose and a mic at the other. Never tried it though, might be a cool sound!

My house isn't a whole lot bigger than that shed. The weather is spectacular in San Diego but with the price of housing here lots of us live in sheds.
Old 28th July 2020
you'd better make sure it's well soundproofed, and also secure, there's way too much noise outside where I live, constant barking dog that's ultra loud, and I've also heard people playing music through an iphone more than once, as well as building and DIY with power tools, I'd only even consider it if I lived in the middle of nowhere with no noise.
Old 28th July 2020
Gear Guru

I was seriously considering getting a shed, putting a Whisper Room inside it and using it for tracking. The idea being that, during the pandemic, I could have people come in for "contactless" vocal and guitar overdubs.

Maybe get a big-ass UV light to sterilize it between clients. I am not crazy about recording vocals in a booth, but it does keep the singers and their viruses out of my house.

Totally aside from poor isolation, I don't think that shed as pictured would have suitable acoustics for mixing. I like to mix on speakers and if you are going to mix on headphones, why not just stay in the house?

When I ran the numbers for the 'outdoor vocal booth' idea, it was just too damn expensive to turn a profit. The sheds are affordable, but to make them really soundproof is very expensive. Either a lot of insulating and vinyl sheet-block or purchasing a pre-made commercial booth that could fit inside. I figure there will be a vaccine before it paid for itself.

I sure hope so. But maybe I am being too optimistic.
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Just find an RV (dead or alive) and park it on your property, use that.
Old 28th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Just find an RV (dead or alive) and park it on your property, use that.
Rick Rubin?
Old 28th July 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Rick Rubin?
haha...
...I guess we have just narrowed down the state of the RV ... (if one were to choose that)
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Are you seriously considering mixing in that? Seems like nothing but reflections to me...
Old 28th July 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Are you seriously considering mixing in that? Seems like nothing but reflections to me...
Mixing drinks maybe ??
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf LeProducer View Post
What are you talking about???

All those shelves look like some pretty good diffusion!!!
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

I see the shelving thank you... I'm considering the material.
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
He's just following the trend and moving to mixing ITB or in this case mixing IAB :-)
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see the shelving thank you... I'm considering the material.
I was agreeing with you and trying to make a joke... Mr. Serious. ๐Ÿ™
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was agreeing with you and trying to make a joke... Mr. Serious. ๐Ÿ™
I'm not that serious lol... see avatar. :-)

I'm just overly stressed re: endless pandemic, work, life etc...

Cheers
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not that serious lol... see avatar. :-)

I'm just overly stressed re: endless pandemic, work, life etc...

Cheers
I certainly get that, that's why I'm spending a bunch of time here making stupid jokes.

I figured you were probably just missing it.
Old 31st July 2020
Well, it all matches very nice. Clients enjoy that.

No, i have not built a shed for mixing.

Last edited by sameal; 1st August 2020 at 01:21 AM..
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear
Looks like a great shed for mixing potting soil.
Old 3rd August 2020
Gear Guru

a few years ago at AES, SSL had a product called 'The Shed of Your Dreams'. It was considerably larger and nicer than goom's shed and it was equipped with an AWS 990+ SSL console and all the rack gear and speakers, sound treatments, A/C and even some instruments. I guess you would have to still come up with your own solution for plumbing.

I think it was 'based on' or 'inspired by' something that Peter Gabriel set up at his own place. Gabriel is a major stockholder in the company.

The price was I believe $250,000 for a fully turnkey operation. You plunked down a quarter of a mil and they would show up at your address and erect this thing in your back yard, connect it to power, install all the gear and all you have to do is go inside and start recording.

'Booth babes' sadly not included.

I checked it out at the AES and the shed was very nice, quite substantial, more like a 'cottage' than a 'shed' in my opinion. It even had a porch. Still it seemed all a bit silly. Even if I won the lottery, I bet for $250,000 you could get a lot more for your money a la carte than buying this kit.

When you think of the fact that they had to actually bring all the stuff and build this huge shed in the middle of the Javits Center just for people like me to gawk at it for four days, it seems like a pretty expensive publicity stunt. But who knows? Maybe they sold a few? It was almost 10 years ago, maybe the market was different back then.

Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

Old 3rd August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
-
easy for them since they can move at super-speed
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Some R13 probably would help in that hot box.

Breaking up those corners may help too.
Old 4th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
a few years ago at AES, SSL had a product called 'The Shed of Your Dreams'. It was considerably larger and nicer than goom's shed and it was equipped with an AWS 990+ SSL console and all the rack gear and speakers, sound treatments, A/C and even some instruments. I guess you would have to still come up with your own solution for plumbing.

Not a single booth babe in that video.
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Not a single booth babe in that video.
0:09 just above the letter "D" in dreams
and for a split second at 0:13 all the way on the right as the image is cross-fading. She is holding a brochure.

Not much in this video, but at the show, they made an impression on me. Mainly because at AES, it's always been really kind of rare.

As GS member Spiritworks once said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritworks
Much better booth babes at the Auto Show
That's probably because it's so much easier to find models who can answer a few questions about cars than to find models who can answer a few questions about a niche audio product.

"yes, it has power steering"
vs
"s/pdif? I think you will have to ask Phil about that."
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
That's probably because it's so much easier to find models who can answer a few questions about cars than to find models who can answer a few questions about a niche audio product.

"yes, it has power steering"
vs
"s/pdif? I think you will have to ask Phil about that."
Maybe more difficult to find but well worth it to find a smart one who could answer "Yes..
In and out!!!
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Maybe more difficult to find but well worth it to find a smart one who could answer "Yes..
In and out!!!
I found some of them could give a good spiel. They could list the features and maybe some key points - the top page of the brochure kind of stuff. They might also be quick with the price, the "show special price" and financing options. But off-script, it was clear they did not know what what these things actually were.

One time I was talking to an attractive young woman about some microphones and boy did she know her stuff, clearly more than me. But she turned out to be the daughter of the owner, not a hired model.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

I like a woman who can talk audio...or even one who is willing to entertain it.

I'm in the middle of doing a bit of re-organizing of my recording setup in the last couple of days and my wife who does play drums and knows a bit about audio asked my why the CAD tube mic we have needs "a box" that the other mics don't. She was good with my basic explanation that the audio tube is in the mic and the box is the power supply for it but when I started to get into rectifying a/c to d/c and tube rectifiers vs solid state ones and sag and guitar amps I could tell she was kind of done.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear