The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Old studio gear as audio interface
Old 26th July 2020
Here for the gear

Old studio gear as audio interface

Im looking for a legacy Studio piece that wouldn't be meant as an audio interface but could be ised for one. Any suggestions?

I got rid of all my studio equipment and I'm starting from scratch and I'm on a budget.

Trying to make some trash can beatles pop lol.
Old 28th July 2020
Lives for gear

I'm not even sure what your question is ?!?!?

What are you looking for? An interface that's not an interface??

A multitrack tape machine maybe?
Old 28th July 2020
Gear Nut
Yamaha 01V96i. 40 inputs of digital mixing and 16x16 USB audio interface, flying faders, automation, two stereo FX processors, 12 mic pres, ADAT I/O.

You could do worse picking a centerpiece for a new studio.
Old 28th July 2020
Gear Addict
You can use old ADAT machines as converters but that still leaves the need for a way to get it into the computer. However If you do your research and dig I am sure you can find a good solid interface at a reasonable price.
Old 2nd August 2020
Here for the gear

Yea....

I just got a saffire 6 for now.
Old 2nd August 2020
Here for the gear

But yea

The adat machine was what I was thinkin of.
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofthe0100 View Post
The adat machine was what I was thinkin of.
ADAT's work great as a way to expand an interface that has optical i/o as long as you keep an eye on how hit your levels are. I know they are more than 16bit but I don't think they ever reached 24bit before that technology was abandoned.
Old 2nd August 2020
Here for the gear

yea again...

im just going to drop some money into an ok mixer. any reccs? im on a serious budget. the one i used to have worked wonders and i forget what it was...lol. it was blue with red sidedboards.
Old 2nd August 2020
Here for the gear

i used to sample my drum kit and mix them before putting into the ol 2kxl and id have the mps being the micro korgs master. i would make all my bars witth live finger drumming and like keys, no step sequencing, then i would let that recird into my 2gb ram pc. then id start to work around that with actual instruments and vocals.
Old 3rd August 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
im just going to drop some money into an ok mixer. any reccs? im on a serious budget. the one i used to have worked wonders and i forget what it was...lol. it was blue with red sidedboards.
What is your budget and exactly what all do you need? Are you recording full bands and drum sets or just guitars and vocals and such? As much info as you can give me the better.
Old 3rd August 2020
Here for the gear

It will be a full band but only 2 people playing all the instruments. But eventually there maybe some midi keyboard slavery , not more than one or two, and maybe an mpc as Master depending which direction we go. Ive put together some really nice compositions with a toothpick.I'm saving most of budget for the drum kit which I'll prob buy piece by piece over time ATM but for a mixer I'm lookin for at least some warm preamps would drop 100 to 300 depending if I thought it was worth it. Like I said I went from having a beautiful hardware saw that I adored to nothing. Its hard times and I need this back togrher in my lite. I'll probably be purchasing mostly used stuff so keep that in mind. And then there's my wife's clarinet that we have to replace any idea on a cheap but good sounding clarinet that can be got used. She used to have I don't remember the model number but like an RS 2,500 or something it was like a $5,000 instrument but when your recording you don't really need good instruments to make them sound beautiful also looking for an old keyboard maybe an old Yamaha with that nice Yamaha piano tone or am I wasting my time? Should I just buy a midi controller and use the vsts. They never had the heart in there sound to me but it's been almost 8 years since I've recorded my last song. Thanks for taking an interest.
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

A couple old motu interfaces should be dirt cheap. Adat ad/da for peanuts. If you can find any, pm me. I have some laying around here somewhere.

FWIW, I use these for like a decade with a radar set up. That system was rocksolid.
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
for a mixer I'm lookin for at least some warm preamps would drop 100 to 300 depending if I thought it was worth it.
You could buy a used Behringer with Xenyx preamps and set it on fire.
Old 3rd August 2020
Here for the gear

Lol

I have one of those stashed somewhere i think. I used to have a crappy peavey mixer that is crank the gain on and use as my distortion pedal and just turn it down going into the interface. It worked really well actually.

Last edited by Ofthe0100; 3rd August 2020 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: Misspelling
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear
Iโ€™m looking for an all-wheel-drive SUV to use as a Mars Rover.
Old 3rd August 2020
Gear Addict
It would probably lean more towards the 300 buck side but if you can find a Tascam M-312 that would probably work well for a console for you. Flexible routing and on the warm side. They make a smaller one the M-308 which might be a little cheaper but you sacrifice some channel count and a few other features. Same mic pre's and stuff though. There may be some other stuff out there but at that price point its gonna be very tough to get warm preamps. I have the flagship of the old M series the M-320. I really like it. I can post a link of some stuff done with it if you wanna hear it.
Old 3rd August 2020
Gear Nut
How about a digidesign 002?
๐Ÿ“ Reply