The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundcraft FX16 vs FX16ii
Old 26th July 2020
Here for the gear

Soundcraft FX16 vs FX16ii

Hi,

I am looking into buying one of these to use it with my synth gear (no mic pre's needed really) and I am wondering if anyone can help me with which one is better suited for my purpose.

A lot of the techno music I like is made on Soundcraft desks from the 90s (especially Spirit series) which is why the FX16 from '97 seems to be my best budget option (mainly because of direct outs). I know Mackie is similar but I am for now not interested in that.

I was wondering if there is a significant difference in the models in terms of sound quality judging that the FX16ii seems to have been produced about 10 years later.

I am thinking that the FX16 is getting me a lot more vintage vibe judging the manufacturing date and I am afraid the FX16ii is mainly made in China instead of the UK.

I am quite up for getting an FX16ii since it's more common to be on sale but I just wanna make sure if there is any significant difference.
Old 4th August 2020
Here for the gear

anyone have any experience with both models?
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Addict

I have never used an FX16, but in 1998 I bought a Spirit Folio SX for use with my synths and drum machines. I think it was part of the same lineup as the FX16. I didn't like the external power supply but otherwise it was great. I really liked the EQ, and it had a nice overall sound.

I tend to buy mixers based on features, and as my needs changed, I moved on to other mixers... Yamaha, Samson, Mackie etc and some digital mixers. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. I think the Mackie (VLZ3) had the best preamps, but like you, that wasn't so important to me using mainly synths.

When I went looking for my latest mixer, I found the FX16II was the closest match to my needs and I'm very pleased with it. Internal power supply, the built-in Lexicon effects are great and the EQ and sound is very much how I remember the Folio SX to be, but I obviously bought these mixers 20 years apart, so I haven't done a side by side comparison.

I'd like to upgrade to a Soundcraft GB2R-16, but I'm not sure how much of a difference in sound there would be compared to the FX16II.

Last edited by KevBKeys; 4th August 2020 at 05:13 PM..
Old 4th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevBKeys View Post
I have never used an FX16, but in 1998 I bought a Spirit Folio SX for use with my synths and drum machines. I think it was part of the same lineup as the FX16. I didn't like the external power supply but otherwise it was great. I really liked the EQ, and it had a nice overall sound.

I tend to buy mixers based on features, and as my needs changed, I moved on to other mixers... Yamaha, Samson, Mackie etc and some digital mixers. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. I think the Mackie (VLZ3) had the best preamps, but like you, that wasn't so important to me using mainly synths.

When I went looking for my latest mixer, I found the FX16II was the closest match to my needs and I'm very pleased with it. Internal power supply, the built-in Lexicon effects are great and the EQ and sound is very much how I remember the Folio SX to be, but I obviously bought these mixers 20 years apart, so I haven't done a side by side comparison.

I'd like to upgrade to a Soundcraft GB2R-16, but I'm not sure how much of a difference in sound there would be compared to the FX16II.
Thanks for letting me know. I am just confused of stuff that suddenly is made in China instead UK but the majority of people say on here that it's not a sign of less quality.

My old flatmate certainly had an increased depth in his stuff from using an older version of the Mackie 1604 series.

Since I already use an old Roland Mixer as a "distortion" add on, I guess it rather helps to have a newer mixer like the Spirit FX2 with it.

Generally my friends use the Ghost series but I reckon Soundcraft in general has a very good reputation even when it comes to newer models.
Old 4th August 2020
Here for the gear

Since FX2 is more expensive, can easily resell and try I guess with FX16
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Just hoping to bump this thread as I can’t find any other information about the substantive differences between these two units. The specs seem the same except the “improved” fx in the mkii. Anyone have any opinion on whether Soundcraft has actually improved the design otherwise?
📝 Reply