The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Upgrade from Behringer UMC404HD?
Old 25th July 2020
Gear Head
Upgrade from Behringer UMC404HD?

Hey guys, I am in a bit of a dilemma here. I am looking to round out my studio setup, but only have the money to either upgrade the UMC404HD, or the Alesis Monitor Ones. I have seen good prices (~300) for the Focusrite 18i20, but I don't know if that would be a significant upgrade. I don't need that many inputs, as I mainly record rap vocals, but I would like the flexibility to record bands in the future, and I also want some rackmountable to clear space off my desk. My setup is currently: Beyer DT880's, AT4040, MXL Genesis FET, Alesis Monitor One, and Behringer UMC404HD. I may move to Mac in the future, so USB-C may be nice. My room is acoustically treated with Auralex Bass Traps and homemade 4" panels. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 26th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosef View Post
Hey guys, I am in a bit of a dilemma here. I am looking to round out my studio setup, but only have the money to either upgrade the UMC404HD, or the Alesis Monitor Ones. I have seen good prices (~300) for the Focusrite 18i20, but I don't know if that would be a significant upgrade. I don't need that many inputs, as I mainly record rap vocals, but I would like the flexibility to record bands in the future, and I also want some rackmountable to clear space off my desk. My setup is currently: Beyer DT880's, AT4040, MXL Genesis FET, Alesis Monitor One, and Behringer UMC404HD. I may move to Mac in the future, so USB-C may be nice. My room is acoustically treated with Auralex Bass Traps and homemade 4" panels. Any advice is appreciated.
To be quite honest, you will probably not notice any difference going from the UMC to the Focusrite. If you need the inputs, go for it, if not, the UMC has decent converters and a nice sounding headphone amp.
Old 26th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head
Yeah, that's what I thought. I think I'll save up for a Clarett, UAD, Babyface, or Audient interface. I can get ahold of a pair of Fluid Audio FX8's for around $300 and HS8's for $400. Thoughts?
Old 26th July 2020
Lives for gear

Yep I agree with the post syntheticrhyme made. I have a UMC404HD myself which I use with an iPad for scratch mobile recordings. The UMC is actually surprisingly good. I’ve also had quite a fair amount of experience with the Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen 3 because I recently put together some tutorial videos for some friends wanting to record during lockdown. I wouldn’t really consider the Scarlett noticeably better at all. In fact the UMC has a better headphone amp.

In my studio I have a Motu 828es and that is a clear step up from the UMC 404HD in every regard but if I were you I would upgrade the monitors before the interface. You would hear a much bigger improvement doing this than changing your interface
Old 27th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head
Ok, I'll look to upgrade the monitors. Any suggestions? I'm in a treated room and would prefer not to have to get a sub.
Old 27th July 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, I'll look to upgrade the monitors. Any suggestions? I'm in a treated room and would prefer not to have to get a sub.
I would make the Neumann KH120's or Focal Shapes top of your list.
Old 4th August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head
Whoo those are a bit expensive... Any suggestions for a lower price solution? I can probably go 5-700 on a pair so...
Gear Head
Quote:
Whoo those are a bit expensive... Any suggestions for a lower price solution? I can probably go 5-700 on a pair so...
Adams T7V or T8V
Yamaha HS7
Kali LP 8s, or LP6
There are several others but I just went through all this and worked with several consumer home studio monitors.. after using different sets, for several weeks, I chose the Adam T8V, instead of the Yamahas and the Kalis, and the JBLs.
imho I think any of the above would be good at this price point.

I'm still getting used to them but, so far I like the low end and mid/high detail, not bad for monitors at this price range.
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

At that price the JBL LSR 305, 306 or 308 would be my favorites. The highs on the Adams sound a little exaggerated to me. The Kali's would be my second choice.
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
At that price the JBL LSR 305, 306 or 308 would be my favorites. The highs on the Adams sound a little exaggerated to me. The Kali's would be my second choice.
See I'm the other way. I did not like the highs on the JBLs. Usually most people that work with the Adams say they like the top end, it's smooth, and allows for a longer time at the mix. I was at at toss up between the Kali and the Adams. In the end I went with the Adams. I just liked the mid and high end detail. i actually have a set of JBLS sitting here not being used.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharrison0054 View Post
See I'm the other way. I did not like the highs on the JBLs. Usually most people that work with the Adams say they like the top end, it's smooth, and allows for a longer time at the mix. I was at at toss up between the Kali and the Adams. In the end I went with the Adams. I just liked the mid and high end detail. i actually have a set of JBLS sitting here not being used.
Yes this is a good example of why the person looking to buy should audition the monitors in their studio We all hear things very differently and neither is necessarily wrong
Old 22nd August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head
I know this isn't exactly anyone's first choice, but I picked up a pair of Event TR8's for about $250 used. I figure I can try em out and break even if they suck.
Old 22nd August 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head
I've tested them, and at first I thought they were a piece of sh*t. They had no bass, piercing highs, and sorta (crunchy?) mids. Of course, I checked Windows sound, and I did not have disable all enhancements on. When I changed that setting and listened back, wow. These have a level of clarity that the Monitor Ones did not have. The bass seems to me, contrary to reviews I've read, to be very controlled and tight. I was hearing things in commercial mixes I was not hearing before. Of course, I haven't listened to many other monitors, (I would try, but this whole COVID thing sucks) but I think they are very solid for the price I got them at. Goodbye Alesis!
📝 Reply