The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic locker under 2.5k!!
Old 16th July 2020
Here for the gear

Mic locker under 2.5k!!

Olaa,
Due to covid i was able to work without being able spending my money and so it happened i have a spare 2500 to start a microphone locker.
I was thinking about a serious vocal condenser(sontronics mercury?), a stereo pair of ldcs(aston?) for stuff like piano and drums maybe a pair of ldcs(oktava?) for guitars and stuff and maybe an utility mic.

What would be your choice if you had 2500 to spend?

Thanks for your help and ideas
Old 16th July 2020
JAT
Lives for gear
2 X gefell m 930s. $2000 or so. Don’t emulate anything but have the Neumann sound. Sound good on anything and a stereo pair covers a lot of ground.. and you still have $400 or so left over to fill in a niche. Simply keeper lcds.
Old 16th July 2020
Lives for gear

If I was going to start a mic locker what I would buy would depend on what I already had (if anything) and what exactly I was planning to record.

Spending $2000 on one mic probably isn't the best plan if you have no other mics and need to track a full band, unless you are really into an old school minimalist kind of thing.

So is a $2000 mic low end theory now??
Old 16th July 2020
Lives for gear
To the OP...
As JLast asks, what would you be recording with your mic locker?
If you are tracking live bands, you need a sh*tload of mics, and that would limit you to relatively inexpensive mics.
If you are recording singer/songwriter individuals with an acoustic guitar, you need two or three quality mics.
If you are recording only male rap vocals, you might want to just have one of what you think is the best mic your money will buy.
And of course you should tell us what kind of room you are in. Some mics only shine in a really good space, and some mics hardly pick up any room at all.
Old 16th July 2020
Lives for gear
In your original post you mention getting two pairs of LDC mics. First, at your budget you shouldn’t have four of anything. Second, LDC pairs are starting to be replaced with SDC pairs in a number of high end studios.
Old 16th July 2020
Lives for gear

IMHO one of the safest bests, in lieu of auditioning... Would be a pair of something like AT4050/SE T2 or 4400/Studio Projects CS5 (if you can still find a pair).
All good solid multi-pattern LDC's. $1500 or under, for a pair.
Chris
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle jaspers View Post
maybe an utility mic.
If by utility you mean something that can be used on pretty much anything and just to add a dynamic to your list, Beyer M 201 TG. If budget allows, two of them.
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabirio View Post
Beyer M 201 TG. If budget allows, two of them.
With a budget of $2500 OP could get like eight of them.
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
With a budget of $2500 OP could get like eight of them.
I know, I meant depending on what's left after buying all those LDCs/SDCs he wants.
Old 17th July 2020
Here for the gear

Olaa,
I should have specified myself more im sorry.
Im doing a lot of (oldskool to trap)hiphop rnb/soul (commercial rnb but also more Lianne Lahavas and Cleo Sol type stuff)things for wich i mostly only have to record vocals and besides that i record additionals to my digital productions (strings brass piano drumkit etc) i was thinking about one killer vocal mic, and from what i heard from the mercury i like it a lot but maybe i have better options for that price(1400) i dont know.
I was thinking about a set of ldcs like the aston spirits for stuff like overheads piano micing and as a good startingpoint for some m/s room micing and stuff but if sdcs are more favourable for this kind of work i guess i dont need the ldcs and can go for a better set of sdcs or a dynamic for instruments(im also interrested in a sm7b md421 type mic but i dont know if a good condenser will be better for me in a good room)
I dont have the room to record livebands all together and i im not an 3 mics on the snare type of guy and if the toms sound good on the overheads im not going to mic them. so being able to mic a kit is enough for me and i allready own a kickmic a beyer m55, a sony pencil, 2 sm57s a nt1 and a wa47jr.
I have a pretty alltright room talking about acoustics no problems like flutter roomreverb but not totally dry.

I just need a quality startingpoint for a mic locker that can find its use in many different recording situations but doesnt need to be complete id rather have less mics that i dont want to "upgrade" then every type of mic thats out there.
Old 17th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabirio View Post
If by utility you mean something that can be used on pretty much anything and just to add a dynamic to your list, Beyer M 201 TG. If budget allows, two of them.
The 201 sound really interresting im gonna do my research on those thank you very much
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear
I don’t know the Mercury, but from your details it looks like a killer LDC vocal mic makes sense. Most of the mics in that category are simply great mics that can be used on almost anything(I keep them away from kick drums, guitar amps and anywhere a drumstick could accidentally hit them).
I don’t know your voice, but I like the WA-47 on most voices. It doesn’t sound at all like the 47jr. It is a very special mic and is way under $1,000. I also like the Mojave M-1000, but it stretches your budget and I haven’t heard it on a really loud rapper or singer.
Old 17th July 2020
Here for the gear

Ola thanks for your input Bushman,
The mojave you mentioned sounds great and in the 251 ballpark but im afraid its way to expensive(at least here in europe).
The wa47 you mentioned is a totally different beast then the jr(wich does double bass, drumrooms and overheads great but there it sort of stops) but is also a really dark mic when i tried it with nice mids but not so tight lows and not so much highend and i rather cut then boost on my eq if i have the choice so maybe not the mic for me.
The wa251 on the other hand was soundwise more what im looking for prominent open but rounded highs less prominent but allright mids and less lowend but more controlled so thats also an option and leaves space for a nice set of ldcs or a nice dynamic.
Thank you
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear
Thanks for your reply. It appears that you like the 251 and Sony 800 genre of vocal mics. Other than the Mojave 1000, I don’t tend to pick those mics, so I’m not going to be much help in this thread. Good luck! Your mic is out here somewhere.
Old 18th July 2020
Quote:
What would be your choice if you had 2500 to spend?
  • Stereo pair of AKG C414 XLII
  • Audix i-5
  • AKG D40
  • Some bassdrum microphone (Sennheiser E 602 II, Audix D6, Shure Beta 91a...) -- no experience with either
  • Sennheiser E 906

That would be a good base for pretty much everything, I think. Comes out at around 2050 € so you can add cables and double up on some of the dynamics.
Old 19th July 2020
The summary seems to be that you need a great vocal mic and enough money left over to buy a pair of something that will work for piano and overheads. Based on frequency of use, let's allocate $2k for the vocal mic and $500 for decent pair of utility SDC's. You mentioned Cleo La Havas and the first video I pulled up showed her singing into a U47. But U47's have a tendency to be either wonderful or terrible on any given vocalist. Given that there's no money for an alternative LDC, it's safer to go with U67-inspired mic, which will still leave you squarely in R&B territory. You can't afford a serious tube mic, and I can't recommend the cheap ones. Better to skip the tube and let the manufacturer spend that money on a great capsule and transformer. OK, here's my recommendation:

Soyuz 017 FET LDC
sE8 matched pair SDC's

I think these will cover most of your needs especially if you know a couple of tricks: For really bright rap vocals a la Sony 800, use one of the sE8's with a good pop filter and a shelving boost. For contrabass, mic the bottom with the Soyuz and the fingerboard with a sE8.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Old 23rd July 2020
The ($1499) Lauten Audio Atlantis-FC-387 LDC might be good as your primary vocal mic as it is a flexible multi-pattern multi-voiced LDC.
Add a pair of ($499) SE8 SDCs and a pair of ($269 + $269) Lewitt LCT-440 Pure LDCs and you are just a shade over your $2500 budget. Of course, there those "Taxes". If you could add another $500, I'd suggest a pair of SE-4400As over the Pures.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ser-microphone

Last edited by homestudioguy; 23rd July 2020 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: More time to write.
Old 23rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Don't think our locker of 10 mics == equals $2.5k (well not at the used prices we purchased them for )

MD421 -- CAD M179 --- Cascade ribbon -- Rode NT 3 -- AT 4033 -- Sennheiser 935 -- MK 319 __few 58's

Sold those 414's / U 89 /Rode tube stuff --- put that towards preamps ..

Last edited by cjogo; 25th July 2020 at 06:06 AM..
Old 24th July 2020
Gear Addict

You can't go wrong with an SM7. Very versatile microphone.

I would also look into a pair of Small Diaphragm Condenser microphones. That can help do stereo instruments, percussion etc..
I would look at 3 different sets but it would be up to you.
Warm Audio KM84 clone pair
Audio Technica 4041 pair
Oktava MK012 pair with extra polar pattern capsules

Then you could look at the Stam Audio C800 clone

SM7- 350
SDC-500-750
C800-1300

So you could have a versatile kit for around your $2500

https://stamaudio.com/shop/microphones/sa-800/

Throwing my $.02 out there.
Old 26th July 2020
Here for the gear

Thank you all for your help and time,
With your suggestions some research, listening and testing i made a list for myself which Looks a little bit like this.

1x Sm7b
2x Se8(or lauten la120 or aston starlight)
2x aston spirit(or one akg 414 or other ldc for vocals)
1x shure beta kick
2x m201 (or one sennheiser md421)

And i was thinking about putting that spare 500 in an heritage ha73 elite preamp, then i would have 4 channels of audient and 1 neve flavoured one.

I think i will be able to to record everything i need with a locker like this but im not sure if i need a stereopair of ldcs with multiple polar patterns or if i should go for a better pair.
I could otherwise go for 1 better mic for vox like the akg or the bock or two different voiced cheaper condensers but after the suggestion about the atlantis with the 3 voicings i got interrested aaand the puzzle starts over haha.
Thank you all for your suggestions and help.
Old 26th July 2020
Lives for gear

Not mentioned yet, but another vocal mic for the short list, that's a classic R&B mic... Is the EV RE20. AKA the "Stevie" mic.

Just listen to his 70's hits, to get an idea of its sound. Another fave of mine, is the Beyer M88TG.

I did my best to replicate the sound of the M88, with the vocal chain below... With the pretty similar (slightly thinner sounding) AKG D790 going into the Soyuz Laucher-to thicken it back out.

Portion of The Capitols classic dance song "Cool Jerk"...
(a one take/off the cuff recording BTW)
Chris
P.S. I'd seriously consider the Daking Mic Pre One, if you're adding an outboard Pre.
Attached Files

Song 126CoolJerkD790.mp3 (903.0 KB, 424 views)

Old 26th July 2020
Lives for gear
-pair of 3u audio warbler 1’s as a utility ldc pair (although they could work great as a vocal mic, too). About $600 a pair if you buy direct. Beesneez also just came out with a u87 (bu87) clone for $600, cardioid only, though.

-couple of utility dynamics (sm57’s or Beyer m201 as others have suggested, for something a little “nicer”)

-one “expensive” dynamic that could be used on kick drum and also voice (I’m thinking m88, re20 or sm7b)

That would leave about $1,000, give or take. Could grab a dedicated vocal mic (3u audio gz series or vanguard v13 would be a couple of good options). Although, I’d say the warblers Or beesneez mic I mentioned earlier for utility ldc could most likely work very well as a versatile vocal mic. In that case you could spring for an sdc pair. Maybe Beyer mc930’s.
Old 27th July 2020
Quote:
With your suggestions some research, listening and testing i made a list for myself which Looks a little bit like this.

1x Sm7b
1x shure beta kick

I think i will be able to to record everything i need with a locker like this but im not sure if i need a stereopair of ldcs with multiple polar patterns or if i should go for a better pair.
I could otherwise go for 1 better mic for vox like the akg or the bock or two different voiced cheaper condensers but after the suggestion about the atlantis with the 3 voicings i got interrested aaand the puzzle starts over haha.
My advice is still "Buy fewer and better."

If you buy a MD421, then you don't need a the Shure kick mic, which is a one-trick pony. The MD421 can stand in for a SM7 as well. One Aston Spirit is a stopgap measure and a long-term waste of money; two is a crime. Get one serious thing instead of two stopgaps. The Lauten Atlantis is a good vocal mic that is sometimes useful for other things. An Austrian Audio OC818 is a good general-purpose LDC, successor to the 414, that often works well on vocals. The Sound Deluxe U195 is another versatile LDC, and comes with a chessparov endorsement for vocal use. Any of the three is a step up from the Aston.
Old 27th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Not mentioned yet, but another vocal mic for the short list, that's a classic R&B mic... Is the EV RE20. AKA the "Stevie" mic.

Just listen to his 70's hits, to get an idea of its sound. Another fave of mine, is the Beyer M88TG.

I did my best to replicate the sound of the M88, with the vocal chain below... With the pretty similar (slightly thinner sounding) AKG D790 going into the Soyuz Laucher-to thicken it back out.

Portion of The Capitols classic dance song "Cool Jerk"...
(a one take/off the cuff recording BTW)
Chris
P.S. I'd seriously consider the Daking Mic Pre One, if you're adding an outboard Pre.
Makes me want to get a Launcher and try a number of my cheaper AKG/EV/CAD/Blue dynamics instead of mic shopping.

Quote:

1x Sm7b
1x shure beta kick

And i was thinking about putting that spare 500 in an heritage ha73 elite preamp, then i would have 4 channels of audient and 1 neve flavoured one.

This is pretty sound, I will say that Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic kick mics pretty much all sound better to me than a Shure Beta 52. I don't know the Se8 but love what I've heard of the Aston Starlight. Also a fan of the Shure KSM137/144 and Blue Hummingbird. I feel like 414s used to be necessary, but many similar 'Swiss Army Knife' mics have come out in the past...40 years. Shure KSM, AT 4050, SE 4400 and T2, all just as good and cheaper IMO, get a pair instead of one or spend the difference on a Neve/API-style preamp or a Daking. A SM7b and MD421 does seem redundant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeek1 View Post
You can't go wrong with an SM7. Very versatile microphone.

I would also look into a pair of Small Diaphragm Condenser microphones. That can help do stereo instruments, percussion etc..
I would look at 3 different sets but it would be up to you.
Warm Audio KM84 clone pair
Audio Technica 4041 pair
Oktava MK012 pair with extra polar pattern capsules

Then you could look at the Stam Audio C800 clone

SM7- 350
SDC-500-750
C800-1300

So you could have a versatile kit for around your $2500

https://stamaudio.com/shop/microphones/sa-800/

Throwing my $.02 out there.
This makes sense, not sure how versatile C800 is but still, LDC/SDCs/SM7b covers tons of ground.
Old 27th July 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbang View Post

This makes sense, not sure how versatile C800 is but still, LDC/SDCs/SM7b covers tons of ground.

Somewhere earlier in the thread someone said it sounds like you like the C800. So that is why I put it.

The non G C800 original is super versatile. I am have only used the G once. The regular I could put anywhere I might think of putting a U67. Similar yet not the same.

Anyway back to the Topic.
Old 27th July 2020
a pair of AKG C414 B ULS mics would be a great option and cover a lot of ground, you could buy some line audio cm4 mics with the money left then you'd have an excellent pair of LDC and SDC mics, it really depends on what you record, what style it is, how many things you plan on recording at once, 95% of recording for me thesedays is one track at once.
Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick View Post
you don't need a the Shure kick mic, which is a one-trick pony.
I agree with this. I feel the same about the AKG112, but would choose an RE20 over either for kick (and many other applications)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick View Post
The MD421 can stand in for a SM7 as well.
I suppose this is right for some applications like toms, horns, guitar, some snare... but I like the SM7 for its ability to be able to carry some vocal duties. I have never had luck with the 421 for vocals. I also find the SM7 better for kick than the 421.

No hate for the 421, I have three of them. I just find that my SM7's and RE20's to be more flexible.

That said, if you are building a mic locker for life, you are going to eventually want all three.
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeek1 View Post
Somewhere earlier in the thread someone said it sounds like you like the C800. So that is why I put it.

The non G C800 original is super versatile. I am have only used the G once. The regular I could put anywhere I might think of putting a U67. Similar yet not the same.

Anyway back to the Topic.
Oh, i don't know much about it, only that I thought the G used a 67ish capsule and is thought of as...not traditionally flattering? I know Jay-Z uses one. Not much help from me.
📝 Reply