The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me choose mic under 150 (AKG 120, Studio Projects B1, Sterling SP150, SE X1, MXL
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Or, if you could skip a couple of trips to Cheeseburger in Paradise on Waikiki Beach, you could buy a $2,000 microphone.
Or, if you’d skip a couple of trips to the space station, you could buy a vintage U-47.
Just skip some stuff. Yeah, that’s the ticket!
That was simple figurative speech. Sorry it went over your head.

If a vocalist is good, it will be worth it. Mic is arguably the most important part of any studio. Just like voice is the most important part of any song.

If money's really really tight, I heard a few demos of a P120, sounded pretty decent.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1Greg View Post
That was simple figurative speech. Sorry it went over your head.
And I’m sorry you missed the intended humor, Sheldon.
I agree with you that spending more on a primary vocal mic is usually a good idea.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I just caught this thread.

The akg p series rank right up there with the worse mics I've ever encountered in the history of mics. In my opinion. Not that I do a lot of a-b of $50 mics.

I've tested them twice....the second time because I kept encountering people who said the p120 is good or great or whatever.

No way.

Start with a 57/58. Maybe not sexy, but they'll never let you down. Esp over time as you listen back to your recordings made with them.

But geeez....that stupid p series. Those things are terrible. On everything. I must've stood there for a couple of hours, trying to get something useable.

At one point, I pulled up a 414 alongside a p120 capture, wondering if this could possibly be the same company.

As an aside, no way would I ever buy a used mic. For any number of imagined/real health reasons.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
I just caught this thread.

The akg p series rank right up there with the worse mics I've ever encountered in the history of mics. In my opinion. Not that I do a lot of a-b of $50 mics.

I've tested them twice....the second time because I kept encountering people who said the p120 is good or great or whatever.

No way.

Start with a 57/58. Maybe not sexy, but they'll never let you down. Esp over time as you listen back to your recordings made with them.

But geeez....that stupid p series. Those things are terrible. On everything. I must've stood there for a couple of hours, trying to get something useable.

At one point, I pulled up a 414 alongside a p120 capture, wondering if this could possibly be the same company.

As an aside, no way would I ever buy a used mic. For any number of imagined/real health reasons.
Ok, just so I have it straight - you are indicating that you couldn’t get a useable track with a properly functioning P120 after a 2 hour attempt with it?

Cheers!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fried fingers View Post
Ok, just so I have it straight - you are indicating that you couldn’t get a useable track with a properly functioning P120 after a 2 hour attempt with it?

Cheers!
You definitely do not have the info straight.

Also, the two-time test was on two diff p120 mics. I actually thought perhaps the first shootout was with a faulty mic. There was also a 220, which was equally strange sounding.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac
[QUOTE=thenoodle;14839583]You definitely do not have the info straight. [QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification! It certainly isn’t my favorite mic either but others have seemed to do well enough with it. I do think it is slightly better than the AT2020 (but that’s just an opinion) and considerably better than the OPs BM800. The P series certainly are not 414s, but I do believe they are useable with some caveats. Like you, I also encouraged the OP to look at dynamics as I believe they are a better option at this price point.

Cheers!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Noodle, that P120 (black) IMHO acquitted itself well (my post #8 ).

Particularly when you consider it was alongside a U87ai, and a Flea 49 in that second clip!

Look out below! One more P120 vocal clip for good measure.

Careful listeners may pick out the teeny Pre-Pandemic Cold "rasp",
on this "one take" Acapella.
I "rang" the room on purpose, on the last word
as an effect BTW.
Chris
Attached Files

Song 73ImgonnaloveyouP120 (1).mp3 (482.8 KB, 147 views)

Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I think at that price range (and the fact that you don't like the at2020) then you're probably better of with an SM58 or SM57
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear
I've spent a little bit more and bought myself a SE 2300.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
I have no experience with SE mics, but the 2300 is a rare example of an LDC mic at its price point that has an output transformer. It also is a multi-pattern mic with switchable attenuation and low-cut.
They have packed in a lot of features at a low price, but the value of the mic to you is in the sound of it on your sources.
Give it a month or two and then give us a post in this thread. I’m curious as to whether it meets your expectations.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

It's a very good vocal mic. It's a tad bright for my voice. But "them kids"-under35 will tend to like it, for more Modern Genres.
Their most well known singer, that used the 2200 series, was Amy Winehouse.

My favorite vocal mics from them, under $500 are the T2 and 4400 (well a $1 below).
Chris
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=xxRock_Onxx;14831684]I usually record a female friend for my vocals.

Hi. Try this one. Is clear, full and warm enough. You'll be surprised.
Take care.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ser-microphone
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Well if you want to get real Low End slutty... Check out www.signalartelectronics.com for Chad's mods on various microphones.
You can buy something like Sterling on the cheap, then get it upgraded after.
For the adventurous only!
Chris
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear