The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UR824 - 96K/24 16x16 with 2 UR824?
Old 1 week ago
UR824 - 96K/24 16x16 with 2 UR824?

Question on UR-824:

UR824 has two ADAT port pairs and you can use them (among other things) to slave 2 UR824's to a primary 824. The ADATs have 8 channels at 44.1/48, 4 channels at 88.2/96K and 2 channels at 192K

I've generally thought if this as you can use 3 UR 824s to get to 48K/24 with 24x24, but this drops to 16x16 at 96/24 with 3 UR824s because the ADATs together only support 8 channels.

BUT - I'm thinking you can use 2 UR824s to get to 96K/24 16x16 using both A and B port pairs by sending 4 channels on the slave through the A ports and 4 channels of the slave through the B ports - and I assume set the word clock on the slave to sync with either the A or the B port input.

Can anyone confirm that this works (e.g. has done it)? It seems almost obvious that it would work, but looking for confirmation.

Interestingly the newer UR816C only has one ADAT port pair and you can't play this trick - you would seem to be limited to 12x12 at 96K/24 with 2 UR816Cs.
Old 3 days ago
Ok - so I pop'ed for a 2nd UR824 without knowing the answer for sure. Actually, their manual covers this in the block diagrams, but there is a bit of confusion when you use their management program (dspMixFx) to set things up.

So the answer for 2 UR824s is:

44.1 / 48 kHz
16 in x 16 out. Daw 16 in x 18 out.

88.2 / 96 kHz
16 in x 16 out. DAW 16 in x 18 out.

176.1 / 192 kHz 12 in x 10 out. DAW 12 in x 12 out.

The extra two DAW outs in all three cases go to the effects send bus that feeds the Reverb for their direct monitoring. The ADAT channels are limited to 8 channels at 48 kHz, 4 at 96 kHz, and 2 at 192 kHz (as expected for ADAT).

The confusion between the manual and the block diagrams:
DAW Out 1/2 (3/4, 5/6, 7/8) feeds into the DAW input on Mixer 1 (2, 3, 4).
If you want to send DAW Out 1/2 to an output - you send Mix 1 to that output. You will also get whatever inputs are on that mixer if you don't mute them or solo the DAW channel. DAW Out 9/10 go to the Reverb Send bus and is not assignable to an output. DAW Outs 11/12 (13/14, 15/16, 17/18, 19/20, 21/22, 23/24, 25/26) are referred as DAW Out 1-16 in the dspMixFx.

The each of the two headphone outputs on the primary can be assigned to any of the four mixes on the primary. If you are not using all the ADAT out channels for I/O, you can send one or more of the four mix outputs from the primary to the secondary (each mix uses two channels) and then solo these through a mix on the secondary so that a secondary headphone outputs can be assigned to that mix. You can alter which mix is sent to the secondary by changing which mix you send out the primary.

Bottom line - you need to think through the configuration you want up front because if is a bit cumbersome to plug in the secondary to reconfigure it.

I few things that are not surprising but perhaps inconvenient.

1) As far as I can tell (know), you can't plug in the USB cable from both UR824s. You have to plug in the USB cable for the secondary UR824 to set it up with dspMixFx, unplug it, then plug in the primary UR824 to set it up with dspMixFx. You leave the primary plugged in so it can talk to your DAW.

If you're not changing the sample rate, then generally (1) is not really an issue. You can set the inputs/outputs to feed across the ADAT ports (A and B) and then receive/feed them as you see fit.

2) The volume control on the primary can control only the primary outputs and the volume controls on the secondary can control only the secondary outputs. A little tricky if you have a monitoring system that spans both boxes (e.g. 7.1.4 needs 12 outputs).
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear