The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Subwoofer options for small studio
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Subwoofer options for small studio

Hello, I'm looking into getting a budget subwoofer to go with my HS7s. I will mainly be using this setup for sound design (kicks, drums, bass synth patches).

My room is roughly 3 m x 5 m and 2.5 m tall. I have 6 4" x 2' x 4' bass traps.

My budget is < $500, but that could stretch a bit. I have an INuke 1000 DSP so I'm specifically interested in the possibility of using a passive subwoofer and powering it with my INuke. For driver size I'm thinking 12", but maybe 10" or 8" would be a better fit?

It seems most of the options I'm seeing are ported powered subwoofers. I'm not opposed to the idea but I was wondering if I could get better quality bass from buying something like a Dayton Audio UM12-22 12" Driver and building a sealed box for it. Alternatively I could buy a sealed passive subwoofer.

I feel like my room is probably the limiting factor in my bass quality, so I'm not sure if there's any real reason to go for a sealed subwoofer. In addition I'm not sure if there are any disadvantages to using a passive subwoofer with my INuke instead of getting a powered subwoofer.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hi,

I paid Β£400 for a stock clearance Eve TS108 sub. This uses a passive radiator and sounds great! It also has a great remote control which allows you to control all the features of the sub from your listening position which makes it easier to calibrate it to your existing system
Old 1 week ago
SRS
Lives for gear

In a small room it can be tricky to incorporate a sub. But most any will suffice, as you really would only want it for a small amount of low end fill in.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear