The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is my 7 pin XLR cable shorted or is my mic dead?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Is my 7 pin XLR cable shorted or is my mic dead?

Hi guys,
I pulled out my Groove Tubes GT-67 mic today to compare it to some other mics and noticed that when I left it to warm up the light on the PSU never turned on, unplugged everything, there was power going to it, it turns on when no cables are connected but as soon as I plug the 7 pin cable into the PSU it won't turn on (whether or not there's a mic on the other side). Pulled out the multimeter to test continuity on the cable to see if there was a short and found that pin 2 has continuity with the metal on the XLR connector (that I assume is ground).

(Will also mention that my multimeter probes were too thick to ft in the female side so I'll try and find some sewing needles or something to check continuity)

Is my cable likely to be shorted or do I have another issue?
Many thanks for the help,

Sloth
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

[UPDATE]: I've sent an email to Aspen Pittman, designer of the microphone and PSU to see if he might be able to shed some light on the issue. Would still greatly appreciate any help I can get here or elsewhere.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

[UPDATE THE SECOND] : Pin 7 is dead as far as I can tell with my multimeter, sounds like it's new cable time lads.
Upon further inspection pin 7 was never soldered to begin with, perhaps pin 7 just isn't required. UUUUUGGGHH, THIS IS CONFUSING

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search