The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Multitrack recorders are not 24/96. Step it up Tascam!
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head
Multitrack recorders are not 24/96. Step it up Tascam!

Really wish Tascam or other would put out a multitrack recorder like the DP-24sd that has professional sound quality. Would love to try one. Anyone heard anything about new models coming out that feature 24/96+? I have not heard good things about the sound quality of present multitrack recorders.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

i would think if youre demanding enough to hear the difference tween 24/48 and 24/96 a $500 entry level complete console-recorder might just not be for you.
note...its probably not the sample rate but the converter quality you are hearing.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

96k and 192k are more useful in reducing latency than actually making stuff sound better.

While there may be some real arguement for 96k or 192k in offering more information to plugins to be able to process audio better even here we are talking about fairly subtle differences to the audio quality.

The sample rate of 48k or even 44.1k of the Tascam DP-24SD is not going to be a limiting factor to getting good audio recorded. If that unit seems like a good fit for you otherwise I would say it's a pretty powerful recording tool for $500 and wouldn't discount it from being something you might purchase.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
i would think if youre demanding enough to hear the difference tween 24/48 and 24/96 a $500 entry level complete console-recorder might just not be for you.
note...its probably not the sample rate but the converter quality you are hearing.
I've read that the sound quality is more for "demos". Sound on Sound reviewed the predecessor, the DP-24, and said exactly that, so maybe it's the converters. Would love to get a machine like this that has better sound. I'm gonna have to listen to one at some point at GC if they have a demo. Thanks for your reply.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear
The future

My guess is they'll ramp up resolution in the future.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

The Zoom Livetraks can record to SD cards at 24/96.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
96k and 192k are more useful in reducing latency than actually making stuff sound better.

While there may be some real arguement for 96k or 192k in offering more information to plugins to be able to process audio better even here we are talking about fairly subtle differences to the audio quality.

The sample rate of 48k or even 44.1k of the Tascam DP-24SD is not going to be a limiting factor to getting good audio recorded. If that unit seems like a good fit for you otherwise I would say it's a pretty powerful recording tool for $500 and wouldn't discount it from being something you might purchase.
Higher rates also make the high end frequencies easier to work with. At 88.2 and up the high end seems to smooth out but also making critical decisions in that frequency range becomes easier. Also as stated plugins seem to sound better at higher rates.

192k imo offers very little sonic difference to 96k and requires double the system resources. Unless you are doing some film work which needs it then really whats the point of using it.
Old 9 hours ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKahuna View Post
The Zoom Livetraks can record to SD cards at 24/96.
Does anyone use one of these?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search