The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Zoom H5 recording in mono?
Old 6 days ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Zoom H5 recording in mono?

Hi guys.
I'm a DJ trying to record a stereo feed from my Pioneer V10 mixer to Zoom H5, problem is every time I go to record - it records it in mono! Probably something simple but I have been googling for hours and cant find an answer, and have played with the settings many times

It records mic signal fine and in full stereo, but for some reason the input from the mixer is in mono every time. I tried different cables and different DJ Mixers and its giving me the same issue.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I was a long time user of Zoom H4n and loved it, however going through airports every week with attenuators that looked like "part of a bomb" (TSA's words not mine) was problematic so I decided to opt for H5 with built in attenuators!

Cheers
Old 6 days ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Sharp11's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenk View Post
Hi guys.
I'm a DJ trying to record a stereo feed from my Pioneer V10 mixer to Zoom H5, problem is every time I go to record - it records it in mono! Probably something simple but I have been googling for hours and cant find an answer, and have played with the settings many times

It records mic signal fine and in full stereo, but for some reason the input from the mixer is in mono every time. I tried different cables and different DJ Mixers and its giving me the same issue.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I was a long time user of Zoom H4n and loved it, however going through airports every week with attenuators that looked like "part of a bomb" (TSA's words not mine) was problematic so I decided to opt for H5 with built in attenuators!

Cheers
Are you feeding one or two line inputs (on the H5) from the mixer? If you're only feeding one line input, you're entering the H5 in mono.
Old 3 days ago
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Are you feeding one or two line inputs (on the H5) from the mixer? If you're only feeding one line input, you're entering the H5 in mono.
Im going from Rec Out on the mixer (using 2 phono cables) to XLR into the Zoom H5. Its the same cable I used to use for the Zoom H4N which was getting perfect stereo feeds, so im guessing the issue here is something to do with a setting within Zoom H5?
Old 3 days ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
DirkP's Avatar
I own the H6. In the menue settings you can / have to setup the pan for each channel. You can even link two channels. Could it be the case that you're using two channels and both pan settings are set to center instead of one being set hard left and the other hard right? The factory settings are center for all channels except the inputs for the stereo mic-capsule.
Old 3 days ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 
JoeyM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
I own the H6. In the menue settings you can / have to setup the pan for each channel. You can even link two channels. Could it be the case that you're using two channels and both pan settings are set to center instead of one being set hard left and the other hard right? The factory settings are center for all channels except the inputs for the stereo mic-capsule.
Hey Dirk,

Does the H6 have the guitar modeling stuff that the H4N Pro does? I'm trying to make a decision and I'm pretty sure the H6 lacks a HighZ input.
Old 3 days ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 
DirkP's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
Hey Dirk,

Does the H6 have the guitar modeling stuff that the H4N Pro does? I'm trying to make a decision and I'm pretty sure the H6 lacks a HighZ input.
No HZ input, no modeling stuff...
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump