The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundcraft GB4 - any disadvantages for dub mixing?
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Soundcraft GB4 - any disadvantages for dub mixing?

i'm looking for an analogue board to mix dubs on using outboard effects and recording to tape.. i've ended up deciding a new board is best as i am not ready for vintage maintenance, just need it to work reliably and have a clean sound... I'll rely on other outboard for character... so it's mainly come down to which has the best format for the live dub mixing process among the usual budget suspects - soundcraft and allen and heath. To me, the soundcraft GB4-16 or GB4-24 seems like the perfect format as it is more spaced out than the competition such as A&E mixwizard or other even-more-budget soundcrafts and has larger-than-usual mute buttons on each channel and 4 mute groups as well as 8 aux sends (half switchable)with 4 sub groups..
While i understand the bare basics of dub mixing i'm aware that all these consoles at the budget end are really for live sound and some have little features that get in the way of certain dub techniques - maybe some i don't know about yet!
So does anyone have experience dubbing on this board? or know a reason why it's not good for it? i can't see many people using them for dub mixing although a lot of people are on the cheaper soundcraft models.. any advice appreciated!
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

On the exact same path here. MixWiz 12 2 looks best in terms of spaciousness of the controls, number of post-fader auxes, 2 stereo returns, and I think 8 channels is enough for most dub-mixing. Sound demos online indicate less noise than the common budget desks. Still available in some places.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

hi degs yes mixwizard definitely near the top of most peoples list - reliable with good eq and built like tanks... the only thing is that i've fiddled with one and the knobs are very close together and pretty small and i've got fat fingers - so when i'm using the aux sends etc on the fly it starts feeling cramped. the soundcraft GB series is on a slightly bigger scale - defo not as compact but that means everything is spaced more like a "real" studio mixing desk and it also has some of the ergonomic features in common with larger format consoles.. big mute buttons, mute groups, nicely spaced faders etc... you pay quite a bit for the difference though and there's not that much in it so mixwizard is better value for sure
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Ah I see, I had been thinking of the GB2 which was a smaller format mixer, more similar to the mixwizard. GB4 is in a different league in terms of channel count, much larger! The GB2 I´ve seen (approx e900) is far more cramped-looking than the mixwiz, hence my potential preference for it. But yes, GB4 series looks very capable.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search