The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best open-back headphones under $150?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Best open-back headphones under $150?

What have you used and what did/didn't you like about? Mind you open not "semi" open. For me that makes no sense, either go open or closed on headphones.

Note: looking at new only.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-senn...lee-headphones are great and AKG K7xx if you can find a used pair on reverb or ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...dkw=sennheiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
What have you used and what did/didn't you like about? AKG 240s seem to be leading the race but I'm open to input. Mind you open not "semi" open. Which IMO makes no sense, either go open or closed on headphones.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Look in to phillips Fidelio X2HR. Just got em, like em so far. I had the AKG k702, they were making my ears pucker, some people love them, and it seems like everyone has a pair.
The "DIY audio Heaven" site goes in to extreme detail on every pair of cans, and the phillips X2HR look pretty close to the frequency response of the Senn HD 600. So if you don't want to fork out $300, the phillips seem pretty close for half the price. No pair is 100% neutral, but in that price range, they're close. I usually save presets in an eq plugin to try to make em more neutral. They have a slight bump in the lows, and there is a mod you can do to alleviate that. Plus, they're fun to listen to.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgitter View Post
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-senn...lee-headphones are great and AKG K7xx if you can find a used pair on reverb or ebay:
Thanks but only interested in new (updated the OP to point that out). But the AKG 700s are only $110 new So you had these? How would you rate them in terms of quality and comfort?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage Rodeo View Post
Look in to phillips Fidelio X2HR. Just got em, like em so far.
Thanks! They are on the list of possible buys.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Been hearing good things about these:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sen...m-review-23674
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Get the impression they are a bit bass heavy, which I don't want, but thx, not discounting them either.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

The other one in that range, are the beyerdynamic DT 880s. My synopsis with headphones lately, all these models are popular on here, but not with the average listener on the other end of the speaker.
So if you master your own jams with super neutral headphones, then someone listens to it on earbuds, or consumer headphones with a 6db bump in the low end, what are they hearing? Probably a subject covered ad nauseum on here I'm sure. Anyways carry on.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Very comfortable, great sound, good quality.

Quote:
Thanks but only interested in new (updated the OP to point that out). But the AKG 700s are only $110 new So you had these? How would you rate them in terms of quality and comfort?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Whilst technically these are only semi open I would definitely recommend the Beyer DT880 Pro's.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage Rodeo View Post
The other one in that range, are the beyerdynamic DT 880s.
Thanks but they're semi-open. And I know this is a minor thing to get caught up on, but I don't like velour pads. I just don't like the feel of them. Also I'd think they'd get dirty/funky more easily and you can't just wipe them off.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks but they're semi-open. And I know this is a minor thing to get caught up on, but I don't like velour pads. I just don't like the feel of them. Also I'd think they'd get dirty/funky more easily and you can't just wipe them off.
One of the great things about Beyer Dynamic headphones is all the parts are replaceable. So you could buy new velour pads or buy the leatherette ones.
I have a pair of DT880s at home for my personal use and highly recommend them also.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
ah thanks didn't know. Still semi-open though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
ah thanks didn't know. Still semi-open though.
There is an new pair of DT990s on Reverb for $169- open back
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Grado SR 125e
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I just got the Superlux 680 EVOs. Amazing for the price. Morphit has a profile for them as well if you want to flatten them out further.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

my .02. If you like leather pads, hope you got AC in the summer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I'm currently using a set of DT 990's. Definitely the most comfortable headphones I've ever used.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
One of the great things about Beyer Dynamic headphones is all the parts are replaceable. So you could buy new velour pads or buy the leatherette ones.
I have a pair of DT880s at home for my personal use and highly recommend them also.
+1
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Are they over ear? Hard to tell from the pic but they look on ear.

Also not sure if I would be this adventurous or not, but anyone tried the low-end Superlux HD 681?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

Also not sure if I would be this adventurous or not, but anyone tried the low-end Superlux HD 681?
I just got the 681 EVOs this week (see above). Just a crazy good sound for the dollars. I’m using them with the Morphit profile and very happy. No luxury fit or anything but still comfy. Nice large pads that sit right over your ear (they are big headphones). I like the way they’ve done the detachable cable as well.

So a few days in and it seems like a good purchase to me.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
The pads are round and are just a tad over 3" in diameter. I suppose they are really mostly "on".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search