The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Budget Monitor Setup
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Budget Monitor Setup

Hey All,

I'm going to be setting u a small bedroom studio soon with some basic acoustic treatment and I'm shopping around for some monitors. My thought is to get a pair of KRK Rokit 5 G4 5' speakers and a singular avantone 5.35 mixcube for mono reference. Does this sound like it'd cover my basses for mixing and referencing? My only fear is that the rokits list the low frequency response at 43 khz. Is there anything else out there in a similar price range with a lower frequency response?
Old 4 days ago
I'd suggest looking into sonarworks + measurement mic. Especially in a bedroom studio - it may be more important than the speakers themselves. You can put up as much acoustic treatment as you want but you might not need it - or it may be making certain problems worse. JBL LSR series are cheap b-stock and measure quite flat. Adam T series if you like AMT ribbon tweeters. Don't worry about the low end ... just get a subwoofer when you have extra money down the line or they are on sale. I wouldn't waste money on a mono speaker ... Headphones like Hifiman Sundara's or AKG K series or Sennheiser 6xx headphones would be a better choice. If you've got the cash: Stax L300 + 252 driver would probably be better than anything else. In all my years of recording and mixing: the only regret I have is ... I didn't buy Stax electrostatic headphones sooner :p You can hear everything with them and they are pretty flat ... I actually trust them more than 95% of speakers. Plenty of great records were mixed on Yamaha NS10's ... not much low end and sound pretty cruddy.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Your monitor choices are fine, however, you won't get much low-end response from any 5" monitor, at least not at decent volumes with introducing a lot of distortion. One thing I agree with from the above poster is you can get a sub later on.

If you plan on doing any vocal recording or serious mixing, I'd say invest more into acoustic treatment than anything else at this point. Good treatment and those monitors are more than enough to get a lot done. A single Mixcube is a fine investment.
Old 3 days ago

I recently got a pair of Kali LP6. Very nice for the price - probably a step up from the Rockit line.

-tINY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search