The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
general purpose mics - where I am now. where next?
Old 27th June 2007
Lives for gear

general purpose mics - where I am now. where next?

okay... so I'm a synth nerd most of the time, but the last year or so, My friend Ed, and I, have been wanting to get into recording sounds with microphones. you know.. that whole "sound that actually existed in the air before it was recorded" kinda thing... In the last year, I've read the mixing with your mind book, started Dave Moulton's "golden ears" audio training series, been reading this and other recording forums on and off (finally subscribed here the other week, yay!) and have been getting the odd bit of outboard every now and then, with a view to doing this.

right now, as far as mics go, I have this:
1 x rode NT-1 (+ another 1 my friend ed has)
2 x shure SM-57 (+ another 2 my friends ed has)
1 x shure beta 58
1 x akg D-770
1 x hohner harp mic.

as far as what I want to do with all this - well... recording various stuff...

1) I sing (not so well - and HATE what the NT-1 does to my voice! I really want something else for me to sing into, as a priority, as this mic makes me not want to record my singing!)
2) I record other friends singing occasionally (have a female friend who is a great singer, where the NT-1 sounded good, I think)
3) drumkit! I want to mic one up and record some drums for something. and I want to do it soon cause it sounds like heaps of fun. We met a cool drummer at a gig we played this year who's into the idea.
4) amping up synths and miking them (not sure why... just want to try it, though think I need a keyboard amp for doing this, because of the wide frequency range synths put out - scared of running synths through my JC-120 guitar amp)
5) guitar? hmm.. yeah. not sure how I'd use it in my music these days, but I have one I can play, and an amp. should really give it a bash.
6) piano! violin! brass! Again, I don't know how I could use them in our music right now, but I want to find people who play them and record some anyway. (this might be a while off as I don't really know anyone to ask about playing these sort of things for us)

SO (hope there's someone still reading after all that!) thats what I think I want to do, and what I've got so far. so where to go from here?

I've read lots of good stuff about the oktava mics. I could definately afford an MK319 2nd hand... and the money to have it modded. And then this in combination with the NT-1 should give a bit of choice with what mic to use when I'm recording... Alternatively, a 2nd hand AKG414 looks to be a really nice LDC mic for lots of things, but I'm kind of reluctant to spend that much $ on a mic unless it really is a lot better than the other option.

I also read around here that a good mic to try for people who don't like their voice on an NT-1 is a shure SM7 or similar... Large diaphragm dynamic "announcer mic"... so I'm looking at one of these (and it might also be good for micing up drums? plus amped synths doing bassy stuff) not sure what the best option is here. have an idea it might be useful to get sooner or later, though.

A kick drum mic? hmm... no idea, really. (the MSH1-k, below, says it's good for kick!)

I'm really tempted to just buy a pair of each of those little cheapo condensor mics in XLR housings for fun stereo recording stuff (and drum overheards maybe?)
Karma Audio - KMicro
Naiant Studio
Naiant Studio
how usable are these things? do I really need more than one pair? if one pair will be all I ever need of these, what's the pair to get? yes they're crazily cheap, but buying them all in pairs will add up, and that's money I might be able to save for something better.

and getting the really cheap baby mics or not, I think that I might need something else in the realm of small diaphragm condensor mic, too... and no real idea as to what.. an oktava, perhaps?

so, any comments on what I've brought up? and is there anything mic-wise I'm missing, for what I want to do, and in my basic mic quality ballpark?

I'd like to have a set of mics I could use to record a drumkit soonish... and I'd really like something new to sing into soon too. and I'd like to end up with a basic range of mics to cover different situations...

(and after sorting all this out, I'll have to ask about preamps! :-)

thanks,

julian
Old 27th June 2007
Gear Nut

This is just my advice, so take it however you will.

I think you should stick with picking up some good workhorse dynamic mics. An AKG D112 for kick/bass would help you, as well as a Sennheiser MD421 for a different guitar flavour and all around use. If you hate the Rode for your vocals, then sell it and get something else. I would suggest an Audio Technica 4033/4050 depending what your budget is. Its a pretty great mic, and you'll be able to use it on many things. Lastly, you would probably benefit from a SDC pair for drum overheads, acoustics and other use, so maybe an octava MK012 pair or a Studio Projects C4 pair. To sum it up, your mic locker would look like this

SM58 Beta
SM57
MD421
D112
Studio Project C4 (pair)
Audio Technica AT4033 or 4050

This would be a respectable, versatile selection with a few that are industry standard for some applications. If you sold the rest, that cash can go towards new mics, and most of the ones I suggested can be found used or on ebay for much less than brand new. You could probably pick up all the ones I suggest for under a grand, even less if you sell the others. Good luck.
Old 27th June 2007
Lives for gear

depends on your budget of course

I would get a pair of AT4040 or a pair of AT4047
Old 27th June 2007
Gear Addict

Or...

An RE-20 for kick and Ld Vocals
A pair of Octava 012s for OHs and utility stereo mic'ing chores.
Old 28th June 2007
Lives for gear

CAD makes a kick mic called the KBM412. It's $50 and sounds great. I actually prefer it to my D112 about 80% of the time. A Shure SM7 (not 57) would be a great choice, sounds pretty good on everything. Shure KSM27 is pretty good too, a little on the dark side which can be a nice change of pace in the budget mic locker.
Old 28th June 2007
Lives for gear

cheers for the responses.

OK - all these AT recommendations for different models has made me finally check out the AT mics online and learn what numbers mean what.... 4050 looks very nice, but pricing in Australia is kinda expensive... new 4050 is out of my range (around AU$1700 RRP! -> maybe $1300 actual price? - I could afford it but it'd really hurt - and I was hoping to spend that much $$$ all up on a couple of mics and a JLM mic pre kit over the next 6 months rather than all in one go on one mic. :-) I might have to look at ebay mics for a while and see if one turns up 2nd hand.

the 4040 and 4033 seem a bit more in my price range, but I guess they're just not going to do the job of the 4050... or is that difference in price all down to the multi-patterns of the 4050? if so - how much use is multi patterns going to give me?

I think I want to keep the NT-1. Yeah I don't like it on my voice, but I already found one application (my friend's voice!) that I really like it on. I'd at very least want to hear the new mic sounding better on her voice before ditching this one. Also, it's worth very little to sell, compared to all the mics I'm looking at buying now.

I'm very very keen to get (or at least try out) a large diaphragm dynamic mic in the near future. SM7 is something everyone who loves mics seems to have. but again RE-20 seems have a lot of fans.... going to have to go out and see if I can find a shop around sydney who stocks them.... though SM7s and EV RE mics are looking a little thin on the ground over here. so that might be problematic. the MD421 looks sexy as! definately seen those before and wanted one just on looks alone. Will have to try one when I get a chance. at least these are around.
:-)

All the small diaphragm condensor options are really confusing me. Especially the whole matched pair thing... I might leave that alone for a little while. I'm still unsure if I even want to bother with stereo overheads for a while.... As far as synth stuff I do goes, I'm a very non-stereo kinda guy.
Old 28th June 2007
Lives for gear

hmmm.. looking on international ebay instead of local distributors, the 4050 is a lot cheaper - around US$450(AU$550) shipped, with shockmount and case! think I might have found me a new LDC.... with room for a Large diaphragm dynamic, and a mic pre kit later in my original budget.

these AT mics are pretty reliable... right?
Old 28th June 2007
Gear Maniac

Very reliable, I have several.

the 3035, atm25 x3, atm63he x2, and the 4050. No problems. They are built like tanks.
Old 18th July 2007
Lives for gear

coming back to tie up the thread......

so... for my first go in getting a good LDC, I ended up getting swayed off the AT4050, and going back to what I was originally considering as my 'top' choice mic - (AKG C414 B-XLS) got a price on a new one I was very happy with from ebay (not that much more than a 4050 would have cost anyway, and actually a price that I will lose little if any $ if I ever need to sell it) It's shown up now... I'm really liking it so far. I did some singing ito it last night, and yeah I'm still a crap singer, but the sound of my voice it records makes me so much happier than the NT-1 ever did.

but after all the props here, I'm still very keen to hear some of these AT mics people were talking about... I'll manage it one day, I'm sure.

Anyway - I've got a few tentacles out right now for a cheapish starter kick drum mic, and between that, and everything else I have, I'll be OK to at least start with miking a drumkit very soon.

My general trend from here is going to be extend the dynamic mic collection a bit (MD421, and an SM7 or RE20, etc....) and to get a pair of small diaphragm condensors... but I'm not in any real hurry to do this, so it'll happen over time.

also, I think I'd also really like to get some tiny little electret capsules I can stuff in my ears and do binaural recordings using my own head.... man. the more I read about recording stuff with microphones at the moment, the cooler the stuff I discover.
Old 18th July 2007
Lives for gear

The naiant mics are awesome- you can't go wrong for the price. Whether or not they are your main mics, you will find many uses for them. I have not tried the cardioids but the omnis are great (I have the msh1 and msh2, a pair of each). I have also heard great things about the cad kick mic. I personally dislike the d112 a lot, and I like the sennehiser 602 a lot. I use the superlux "pro" mic kit, which I got very inexpensively on ebay and I really am pleased with the sound. The overheads were not good at all, but I have other overheads anyway. I use the tom mics on guitars and horns a lot and really like them there, and I like the little snare mic for under snare if I do an under snare. I like the tom mic on snare as well. I also have 3 apex 435 mics, which I think are great for the price- I got them for $60 apiece. Kind of bright, but that can be good sometimes. I like those on drum overhead a lot. Hope that helps a little. Also, do you have mixing with your mind? It is a great book and will really make you think about the way you approach recording. Maybe it is less in Australia, but even at $75 US, I think it is the best money I have ever spent.
Old 18th July 2007
CAD M9

Hey!
How about the CAD M9? I just picked one up and I am totally blown away by this mic. I have experience on both sides of the glass with many really good mics, and this one is up there with some of the greats. And bt'w I think its as least as good all around, if not much better in some applications, i.e. voice, than the AT 4050. Its a great mic for any price, but the price happens to be AMAZING!! You can find it retails, in the States at $300, and I've seen it on ebay, for as little as $200! sound on sound has a great review of it, google it, or do a search here .

Cheers!
Old 18th July 2007
Gear Nut

for the AT 4047. Very versatile mic.
Old 18th July 2007
Gear Nut

i have a shure sm7b and gefell mt71s

i have a shure sm7b and gefell mt71s. the shure sm7b sounds on vocals like old school radio announcers where the lows are a bit "thick" but a non hyped top end good for sibilant singers. on outside kick its got a mid punch to it.
on vocals its not as pristine as a condenser sound but it can usually work really well with some eq. I know some ppl don't seem to care for the mic sometimes as i see them buy it and then sell it. but i think on vocals it will never be a bad vocal but may not be a great vocal either.
now if you can save your pennies abit i love love love my gefell mt71s.
i'm pretty sure i can record a whole album with this mic. 2 feet in front of amps get a great natural amp sound, vocals never suck, acoustic guitar is great,
it just never sucks on anything type of mic. i have an at4040 and it sounds good but lent it to a friend who really needed a mic and kept the gefell. I think its strong point is the smoothness of the capsule. a lot of mics can be edgy but this mic is so smooth most things you record with it will not irritate in a mix. plus its not a particularly fat sounding mic so you can stack easily with it and its eq curve seems to lend to this stacking also. I think this mic is a mic you will get and used over a long time and find its strengths far outnumber its weaknesses and you may end up keeping it for utility mics after you get better mics still.
Old 19th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 View Post
The naiant mics are awesome- you can't go wrong for the price. Whether or not they are your main mics, you will find many uses for them. I have not tried the cardioids but the omnis are great (I have the msh1 and msh2, a pair of each).
I guess I'm wondering just how much difference there is between $25 mics, and $100-200 mics... I have my eye out for oktava MK012s, because it seems that even stock, they're quite good, and around the same level as everything else in their price range, but with mods I can do myself they're meant to be a lot better..... but because I've never even owned an SDC before, it's all a bit daunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 View Post
The naiant mics are awesome- you can't go
Also, do you have mixing with your mind? It is a great book and will really make you think about the way you approach recording. Maybe it is less in Australia, but even at $75 US, I think it is the best money I have ever spent.

I agree! it's an awesome book (actually it was this book, which I bought for geneneral "listening" and mixing information, that got me excited about miking things in the first place, and brought me here!)
Old 19th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by partnering View Post
ithe shure sm7b sounds on vocals like old school radio announcers where the lows are a bit "thick" but a non hyped top end good for sibilant singers. on outside kick its got a mid punch to it.
on vocals its not as pristine as a condenser sound but it can usually work really well with some eq. I know some ppl don't seem to care for the mic sometimes as i see them buy it and then sell it. but i think on vocals it will never be a bad vocal but may not be a great vocal either.
yeah... seems like the SM7b is the mic to try for people like me with a sibilant voice...

now, if only I could find one of the damn things ANYWHERE in sydney to have a listen to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by partnering View Post
now if you can save your pennies abit i love love love my gefell mt71s.
that looks really nice.. but looks like it's another whole step up from the 414 in price.. owch!
Old 20th July 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Knight View Post
Or...

An RE-20 for kick and Ld Vocals
A pair of Octava 012s for OHs and utility stereo mic'ing chores.

+1! thumbsup

The RE20 (or RE27) are excellent mics, and some would argue (like me) that they are as good as many large diaphram condenser mics.

The 012s are excellent singley as well, such as using just one for acoustic guitar.
Old 20th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofi View Post
yeah... seems like the SM7b is the mic to try for people like me with a sibilant voice...

now, if only I could find one of the damn things ANYWHERE in sydney to have a listen to.

that looks really nice.. but looks like it's another whole step up from the 414 in price.. owch!
You've already heard it on countless recordings. Most of the Soundgarden/Audioslave albums used SM7 on vocals, and every RedHot Chili Peppers album has used it on vox as well.
Old 22nd July 2007
Lives for gear

a question - with the 012s is it useful to also have omni and hypercardioid capsules? or do most people just use cardioid pattens on overheads anyway? (keep in mind I don't have a proper treated tracking room anywhere! The best I'm likely to use these in is my studio, and maybe on drums in a rehearsal studio)

also - with the SM7 and SM7b - is there much difference? do people use them interchangably? cause it seems the 7 and 7b get mentioned interchangably...
Old 22nd July 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofi View Post
4) amping up synths and miking them (not sure why... just want to try it, though think I need a keyboard amp for doing this, because of the wide frequency range synths put out - scared of running synths through my JC-120 guitar amp)
Definitely run the synths through the JC-120. Just watch the volume or put a comp/limiter in the path if you're worried. I think JC-120's are awesome for things other than guitar (namely synths but drum machines too).
Old 22nd July 2007
Gear Maniac

Oh yeah, and an Beyer M99 if you can find one.
Old 22nd July 2007
Gear Head

SM7B

I'm new here, but thought I'd chime in...
SM7B = good purchase. I just bought one a couple weeks ago and it's a great addition to my mic collection. On guitar cabs it's kind of cool too... thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search