The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for the right preamp...any advice gratefully received!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Looking for the right preamp...any advice gratefully received!

Hi all,
I've been a GS lurker for many years but have finally taken the leap and joined properly.

I have a studio setup at home which is modest, but gets the job done. I use Logic with a Clarett 8Pre, and a few decent mid-range mics (sE Gemini II, sE Icis, Sontronics STC-1S pair, NT1A and a few others).

I am a songwriter and make records, along with doing soundtrack work, remote sessions as a singer/guitarist/bass guitarist and voiceovers/audiobook narration.

I'm aware that the pres in the Clarett are decent, but I'm wondering what else is out there that would kick things up a notch or two in terms of tone. Ideally I'd like a dual channel pre as I often do stereo recording of acoustic guitar etc.

I've looked at a few options such as the ISA Two, DAV BG1 and SPL Goldmike, but am unsure as to where to go. Sub £700 is my budget currently, so I don't want to waste money if a pre in that price range isn't going to give me much over the pres in my Clarett.

The DAV is very appealing but I'm not sure whether the line inputs on my Clarett will take the +4 signal.

Any advice very gratefully received!

Phil
Old 6 days ago
I know my interface takes the +4 signal, the gain is less, maybe 30%-35%.
With the switch in -10, the gain volume is set to 50-60%.

I cant find anything on specs of LINE INPUT.

I found very little difference in clean preamps vs my interface preamps. It was very little noticed.

Channel Strips might be something that makes your comparison more interesting. The concept of using high end parts, transformers, compression, eq, dess'r in One strip, of a expensive console might be what youre looking for.
However Tracking clean and doing all the "FX" sound shaping ITB is by far cheaper and allows massive amounts of benefits over having one mono piece of hardware.

the broken record is a 73pre>1176clone and / or LA2A something because it works so well.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEF View Post
I know my interface takes the +4 signal, the gain is less, maybe 30%-35%.
With the switch in -10, the gain volume is set to 50-60%.

I cant find anything on specs of LINE INPUT.

I found very little difference in clean preamps vs my interface preamps. It was very little noticed.

Channel Strips might be something that makes your comparison more interesting. The concept of using high end parts, transformers, compression, eq, dess'r in One strip, of a expensive console might be what youre looking for.
However Tracking clean and doing all the "FX" sound shaping ITB is by far cheaper and allows massive amounts of benefits over having one mono piece of hardware.

the broken record is a 73pre>1176clone and / or LA2A something because it works so well.
Thankyou, I really appreciate your thoughts. The point about a channel strip is very interesting...for many years I did vocal session work for a producer who always ran me through an ISA 430, which sounded superb with his Gemini II. I'm fact, that tone is why I bought a Gemini of my own, so perhaps a 430 or 220 would be a good call. A bit out of my pocket right now but certainly would be a nice thing to own.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I'm loving my new Art MPA II. 2 channels for 350 dollars, I can't imagine getting a better deal. Options out the ying yang, wonderful sound, just a fabulous preamp and I haven't even upgraded the tubes yet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search