The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Are Cheap Stereo-Pair SDCs worth it?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Are Cheap Stereo-Pair SDCs worth it?

I'm not sure whether to get a soundhole pickup or to buy a cheap pair of small diaphragm condenser microphones to record acoustic.

For under $200 are they worth it?

Would they sound better than a soundhole pickup plugged DI in an audio interface?

I ask because I was inspired by this Paul Davids video

Would it be better to use a ribbon mic/SDC combo like what was used in the video while using much cheaper components?

Also, what is an indexed stereo bar?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A pair of iSK Pearls will be so much nicer than a sound hole pickup. Very nice on acoustic guitar. Clean, neutral, detailed and fast transients.

https://www.iskproaudio.com/collecti...products/pearl
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
I prefer the sound of a stereo pair of SDCs to DI most of the time, but I also like DI so that I can blend the signal to my tastes when available. If the room you're recording in is particularly unpleasant you might want to go more towards the DI. I use a cheap pair of iSK Pearls ($30 USD) and they sound good to my ears. I can record an audio sample some time in the next couple of days to give you an idea of their sound.

Not sure on the indexed part, but a stereo bar is a bar you attach to a mic stand that allows you to attach two mics and manuever them into various configurations. Shout outs to Paul Davids, love his videos.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

It's a great time to be into recording, there is lots of cheap stuff around that can actually offer decent results.

I have a pair of MXL 603's and three Joe Meek JM27 small diaphragms and now there are even some even cheaper mics that sound pretty good.

If all you have now is an acoustic pickup running to a DI I think you will probably have a blast with a cheap SDC or two.
Old 2 weeks ago
Agree with everyone else. Acoustic guitar is one of the few things that mics like the MXL 603 sound very good on. Haven't tried the Pearls, but so many people are plugging them here, what could go wrong for 30 bucks?
Plus then you've got few mics that would be good for recordng percussuion instruments and many other sources.
A lousy room would be the only problem with that idea, as mentioned above.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

microphone will sound much better than the DI.

you only need one, and if you position it correctly can get lovely results.

you will learn how to get it right. go for it.

Buddha
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I just got a pair of Line Audio cm4's and they are amazing! They are SDC. A pair is a bit more expensive than 200usd, but they are still very budget-friendly and extremely good for the price.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post

you only need one, and if you position it correctly can get lovely results.

Buddha
Especially if you are on a budget getting just one mic can be a good idea.

You really don't need two mics on an acoustic guitar, you might want to try that at some point but depending on the mix some people actually prefer just one mic.

If your recording is sparse, just the acoustic by itself or just guitar and vocal rather than a full band then a stereo reverb can get you the space you might want when using mono mics.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I believe they are worth it. And as already mentioned there are many good choices. 25 years ago folks would have been ecstatic over the inexpensive options and quality available now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search