The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone else on an eternal quest for a quiet space to record and mix in?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Question Anyone else on an eternal quest for a quiet space to record and mix in?

It seems like an unrealistic pipe-dream now that we live in a post-apocalyptic police state wasteland. Just kidding.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I think it's still about where you are located, how much money you have and just how important it is to you.

It's a matter of what level you are talking about exactly as well.

By quiet do you mean an amazing professional studio space that's so quiet you can hear your own blood flowing or just someplace reasonable that one can play a guitar amp or drum kit without a crowd of torches and pitchforks assembling?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
I long for a good recording space. Even a separate room that isn't right next to a highway would be enough for me! Currently, I record in my bedroom right next to the 110. In the end, I'm still able to create music that meets my standards. It forces different creative decisions. I make lots of use of virtual instruments, DI guitars and basses, programmed drums, etc. If I had a larger, quieter, dedicated recording room I would probably do a lot more actual recording in the room!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
I think it's still about where you are located, how much money you have and just how important it is to you.

It's a matter of what level you are talking about exactly as well.

By quiet do you mean an amazing professional studio space that's so quiet you can hear your own blood flowing or just someplace reasonable that one can play a guitar amp or drum kit without a crowd of torches and pitchforks assembling?
Currently taking care of my elder folks and I have to record between the loud fridge when it quiets down and when the A/C cuts out. Lots of noisy appliances.

I have iZotope, so I can clean up a little noise.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Set up the fridge so you can easily unplug it. No harm at all turning it off 5 or 10 minutes at a time, the only tricky thing is to remember to plug it back in.

When I was doing house concerts I would make sure I didn't have much food that I had to really worry about on show day and unplug for about 2 1/2 or 3 hours, somewhat for the recording but more because my mixing console was right next to the fridge and so were my ears. If you don't have ice cream in the freezer it works just fine.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Im currently getting a bachelor suite. I dont know how well recordings will go over because of neighbours but I figure with acoustic absoption on most of the walls and keeping the monitoring below like 70 dB I should be fine to mix.

Ive been saving a little every month and making my gear loan payments so it should all come together when the time is right.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search