The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
suggestions for interface and studio monitors
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

suggestions for interface and studio monitors

I am looking to get some better sounds out of my HP computer..looking at some Yamaha or JBL Studio Monitors.. PLUS, I am trying to decide if I should (1) Go straight from my computer, using 3.5mm to TRS OR, (2) Get an inexpensive interface.

I DO have several field recorder/mixers (SD MixPre-6 and a Zoom F4) that I think could be used as an interface...BUT, not sure if I want to dedicate one for that purpose...

I'm getting really annoyed at listening to my audio pieces on tiny computer-built-in speakers.

Thanks for any advice on how to proceed!

Kevin

Radio producer/Field Recorder
Illinois
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Some stores will let you A/B some monitors. That’s what I did, and in the end bought some Focal monitors, which I like. But it’s fairly subjective, I think.

As for interfaces, budget is key. As you said “inexpensive”, perhaps the Motu M2 would appeal? Reasonable price, good specs, and made in the USA.
Old 1 week ago
I´d recommend an audio interface by Audient because they are relatively cheap and give you some real juicy converters and preamps.
For monitors i´d go with some Eve Audio SC205 or SC207 if its in your price range.
These are professional tools which will give you very good results.

Buying some cheap JBL stuff will satisfy you for a while but you are going to replacre them as soon as you hit a certain skill level I think.

Don´t make the mistake and spend money on stuff you will replace very soon. Invest some more money to get stuff that lasts you a long time.

You can also check out Eve Audios SC203. They have an excellent integrated interface with some burr brown converters. They sound huge if you don´t need to record any instruments or stuff like that.

my 2C
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

A Behringer UMC 404 and a pair of JBL 305mk2 will be good enough for most people who make music for a hobby.
Very neutral sounding monitors for normal sized rooms.
I use this combination for 2 years now and I don't feel that I need to upgrade.

Look at the all the positive reviews for the monitors and the interface, it says enough I think and it doesn't break the bank.
Especiallly when you're used to built in speakers, this will be a very good upgrade and won't dissapoint you.

https://www.thomann.de/nl/jbl_lsr_305p_mkii.htm
https://www.thomann.de/nl/behringer_umc404hd.htm
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
You can find some older interfaces like Propellerheads Balance (https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...erhead-balance) on ebay for about £50 - giving you some inputs and mic preamps.

Then secondhand you can find some older poweedr monitors like Tannoy Reveal Actives for about £150.

Have a look around on ebay, google what you find and you should be able to pick up some good stuff for comparitively little. To be honest, you'll probably be ok with just the 3.5mm output into some actives - but often you want a volume control to grab at just in case.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSociety View Post
I´d recommend an audio interface by Audient because they are relatively cheap
um - what? They are among the if not the most expensive in their class for what they provide. Quality stuff I agree but IMO well overpriced.

Quote:
Buying some cheap JBL stuff will satisfy you for a while but you are going to replacre them as soon as you hit a certain skill level I think.
Think again. JBL is not "cheap stuff" to say the least. The 305s in particular are IMO probably the best bang for your buck.

Quote:
Don´t make the mistake and spend money on stuff you will replace very soon.
True, but I'd also advise to not make the mistake of thinking "you get what you pay for" applies across the board, because nothing could be farther from the truth. A lot (I would argue most) so-called low-end gear now days is good, even very good stuff.

As for specific brands and models, I suggest the OP search the site, there are only about 800 billion threads with tons of info.
Old 1 week ago
The smalles Audient interface starts at 99$ Id2/4.

I´m not saying JBL stuff is bad or something but when you spend like 400 $ on a pair of monitors you could get something "better". (thats just my opinion based on MY experience)
You could also argue that a pair of 30 $ Logitech speakers sound Okayish nowadays.

But thats just me
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgarlic View Post
Thanks for any advice on how to proceed!

Kevin

Radio producer/Field Recorder
Illinois
If you do radio and field recording.. maybe TV?.. then I'd see what the people that receive your product use when they work, assuming you pass your stuff along to others. That way you're listening to the same or similar type of speakers.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSociety View Post
The smalles Audient interface starts at 99$ Id2/4.
? Where are you seeing an iD4 for $99? They run about $200 or more last I looked; sounds like a great deal for someone who's shopping for one. Though it only has 1 pre and no MIDI connectors around back. I could get Behringer similarly equipped for just $50. And IMO they are not appreciably different quality wise. But that's me.

There is no id2 that I see; did you mean the id22?
Old 1 week ago

I recently bought a pair of Kali LP6 when I needed some utility near field monitors. I was quite impressed with the clarity and balance for that price.

As far as interfaces go: Any of the USB 2 interfaces will probably be fine - if they have the features you need. Looks like $150-200 is the sweet spot.

-tINY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search