The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JBL 305p mkii - The subwoofer question
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

JBL 305p mkii - The subwoofer question

What's popping muchachos
I just bought a pair of JBL 305p mkII's off Sweetwater, and I'm now looking to pair them with a sub. My options basically come down to:

Monoprice 10" studio sub
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=605999

JBL LSR310S
https://jblpro.com/en/products/lsr310s

In contrary to what's indicated in the manual, it turns out that the Monoprice studio subwoofer does not have an integrated high pass filter for the monitors. The JBL LSR310S has this feature, cutting the 305p's off at 80hz.

Of course, I understand that this will make a difference in audio quality... but is it a $150 difference? Although I can afford both, I am on a budget and would like to save my money for other studio purchases if possible
If anyone here is familiar with the sound signature of the 305p's (not unlikely I suppose) please let me know what your opinion on this matter is. Peace!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Monoprice sub has the most important feature left off of the LSR310 - the footswitch bypass. If you want to bypass the sub and go directly to the LSR305 you can use the switch. The JBL sub is always on...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for pointing that out, facej. I definitely do see why that may be an important feature, though I’m not sure if I’d be using it that frequently
To be more specific though, the real question which is keeping me from deciding between these two is whether the lack of a highpass filter for the monitors makes a big difference
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
What would you use a low-cut (high pass) filter for? The Monoprice a frequency response of 20 to 150 Hz. You want to cut everything below something in that range?
Turning off the sub effectively is a high pass ;-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search