The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If not an X18/X32, then what, for equal or better mixer/usb combo?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If not an X18/X32, then what, for equal or better mixer/usb combo?

I have an X18, use it daily as a submixer for my eurorack rig, and for an 18ch usb audio interface for a portable Reaper laptop for the same modular rig.

Two things:

(a) I now need something with more than 18ch of simultaneous Line level I/Os

and (b) I want to try a different brand this time, for various reasons, so I'm skipping their X32...

I know Soundcraft, Tascam, Allen & Heath, Mackie, various companies make such solutions now.

But has anyone tried them, especially against an X18 or X32 (my only Digital Mixer / Interface baseline), and I live too far away from any decent stores in order to try them out myself, either.

Your thoughts and preferences?

Any clear winner bewteen A&H, Tascam, SC, etc?

Thanks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I have an X18, use it daily as a submixer for my eurorack rig, and for an 18ch usb audio interface for a portable Reaper laptop for the same modular rig.

Two things:

(a) I now need something with more than 18ch of simultaneous Line level I/Os

and (b) I want to try a different brand this time, for various reasons, so I'm skipping their X32...

I know Soundcraft, Tascam, Allen & Heath, Mackie, various companies make such solutions now.

But has anyone tried them, especially against an X18 or X32 (my only Digital Mixer / Interface baseline), and I live too far away from any decent stores in order to try them out myself, either.

Your thoughts and preferences?

Any clear winner bewteen A&H, Tascam, SC, etc?

Thanks.

I can't say that I've compared them but for the lower end consoles everyone raves about the A&H's! I've used both the qu and sq and the soundcraft Si's the are all pretty good but I think both the qu and the sq are better!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

After I sold my 01V96i few months ago, I bought an X32, rehearse quite a lot with it, didn't like the sound, then sent it back and took a Soundcraft ui24r instead : it was a clear improvement regarding the sound and the ergonomy (the app is great, and usable by anybody via a simple web browser).

Few things I didn't like on theSoundcraft though :
- 48khz only (if you need to use it for recording, connected to your DAW). It's not a big deal, but it's just a strange limitation.
- The set up for the wi-fi connection is a bit heavy and can take long time (at least, it's more complicated than on the X32).
- the built in FX (reverb, delays, chorus) are just crap. Unusable in my opinon if you need quality. The X32 was much better than the Soundcraft in this field. Even the 01V96i had better fx (I didn't like the reverb on it, but it was much better than the ui24r). I can't believe they are branded as Lexicon.

But I kept the Soundcraft because the sound (preamps, summing, conversion, whatever it is) is much more important to me (I almost never use FX, and the EQ and compressor are quite good to me).

I loved my former 01V96i (the preamps were great, whatever you can hear here and there), but it was heavy, had only 12 preamps, only decent EQ and compressors and the omni out had very bad quality (I used the omni outs for IEM of my band, and it was not sounding very nice). So I wanted to switch for a more modern, portable unit.

X32 was clearly worst : I don't know if it's the internal summing or the AD/DA conversion, but I had impression that the whole dynamic was destroyed, and that everything was a bit confused (like a 16 bit depth conversion). After more than few tracks summed together, it started to become ugly (I use a lot of stereo tracks from soft synths in my band, with a lot of dynamic, so maybe I'm more sensible to these problems)...

The ui24r is on the same level of quality as the Yamaha (maybe even better, I can't judge objectively because I never had the 2 unit at the same time), but it had perfect outputs for IEM (and much more outputs than the 01V96i), was much easier to bring to a gig, had almost 2 times more preamps and great features (the multitrack recording feature is just great, you've got anti-feedback and deesser on each track, etc. etc.).
So for me, it was a great deal...

I never tried the Allen & Heath. I just bought the Soundcraft because my former sound engineer adviced me to buy it (he's got good ear, and know my band)...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search