The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Good Secondhand Compressors in Europe
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Good Secondhand Compressors in Europe

Hey y'all,

I'm looking for some cheap compressors to get me started with hardware compression. I don't necessarily need hardware compression since I have all the plugins I need but I like having knobs in my hands and I feel like getting a hardware compressor is a pretty good start. I don't want to spend a lot on it though a max of 200 euro.

I know in the USA people really like the DBX 163 because it's cheap and easy. But I can't find any of those here in the Netherlands. I'm mostly looking at old original DBX 166's non xl and modding and recapping that. I'm all for modding compressors or gear since I love that too.

I was wondering if you had more suggestions on what compressors to look for on the secondhand market. Like I said if the compressor needs mods to be good I'm also open for that.

I mostly want an all-round compressor aka vocals, drums, and guitars. But if a compressor is specifically good at any of those things I'd still be interested so name all you know!

Thank you all and be safe!

Thanks,

Tom
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

This...
Attached Thumbnails
Good Secondhand Compressors in Europe-screenshot_2020-05-12-15-52-38.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
This...
Yeah I know of the klark units, but I was wondering what else there is around. But thank you!

I got to say I really enjoy how the BSS DPR 402 sounds it just does exactly what you ask of it. So if there is anything like that comp that would be great too!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I found an Aphex 651, anyone use these before? Are they any good? I already found some mods for them too.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

The original Klark Tekniks (pre-Behringer) are great. DN500 and DN504 are superb allrounders, and the DN500 can also do sterling work on the mix buss.

Drawmer LX20 is great fun, but not as versatile.

I don't like the dbx 166, but for €200 you could get two dbx 160x, which are pretty cool.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maraan View Post
The original Klark Tekniks (pre-Behringer) are great. DN500 and DN504 are superb allrounders, and the DN500 can also do sterling work on the mix buss.

Drawmer LX20 is great fun, but not as versatile.

I don't like the dbx 166, but for €200 you could get two dbx 160x, which are pretty cool.
Alright i added a notification on my secondhand website that if any of those come online i get a message. Where can you get two dbx 160x for 200 they go for around 270 each here.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.S View Post
Alright i added a notification on my secondhand website that if any of those come online i get a message. Where can you get two dbx 160x for 200 they go for around 270 each here.
I only have one dbx160x, but I got it for £100 on Reverb.com. It was listed at a higher price, but my cheeky offer was accepted...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you're interested in a clean compressor, the Aphex 320A is hard to beat. 1 rack unit, stereo/dual mono. I've had one for a few years now. So transparent you may think it's broken the first time you use it. If you're looking for color, you do not want this compressor. If you're interested in clean, this one is hard to beat. You can usually get them on eBay for about $150 US.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Alesis 3630? I'm sorry... bad joke
Old 1 week ago
DBX 163's are around in Europe. They're easy to mod and the signal path is really short.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I'd suggest getting a FMR RNC. Doesn't look like much but massive 'Bang For Buck' factor.

€219,- new @ Thomann

T
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Attic View Post
I'd suggest getting a FMR RNC. Doesn't look like much but massive 'Bang For Buck' factor.

€219,- new @ Thomann

T
Wonderfully clean or boringly functional depending who you ask.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
Wonderfully clean or boringly functional depending who you ask.
Ha, both if you ask me! It does the clean thing superbly but Kotelnikov does it better, and I misguidedly bought it (years ago, noob move) to get some analog flavour but, well, it doesn't have any, really... Also some people swear by the Super Nice mode but all I ever got from it was some weird long term level shifting...

To get you started with hardware compression, as the op wants, I think the RNLA is much better, and it happens to work pretty well on vocals, drums and guitars, especially the latter, which is where I use it the most. Opto flavour but the Log Rel thing combined with fast timing can get you into 76 territory (ish) as well, and the wide attack, release and ratio ranges make it very versatile and fun to play with. €259 though.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Okay, I found a BSS DPR-402 for a pretty good price, I'm going to ask him to send over a video of it working because I don't think I'm going to be able to pick it up my self. Physically it's in a bit rough shape but I hope its technically fine because I'd love a BSS DPR 402.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search