The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why do preamps have one channel?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Why do preamps have one channel?

What if you wanted to record two people at once, or a whole band? Why does most outboard gear only have one channel? Do people typically send a whole mix from a daw to the outboard gear? Wouldn't it make more sense to use the outboard gear on the original recording?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson.reed View Post
What if you wanted to record two people at once, or a whole band?
Reality has changed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Every flavor you want is out there. Most common are 1,2,8 channel preamps.
I can record 32 mic's at once at home if I really wanted to. But I'm using a MADI interface.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

What do you mean
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I assume that you are talking about microphone preamps?

The purpose of a micpre is to bring mic level signal up to line level. Most interfaces have two or more basic ones built in.

External ones are higher quality, higher gain or are old school designs. Some of us actually use recorders that have only line inputs so either a seperate micpreamp or a mixer that has mic inputs is necessary.

External micpreamps come in single channel, dual, quad, and eight in one unit. A manufacturer might make a single channel model to keep cost down or because some older designs especially when they have eq or other extras would be kind of large in a dual or multi channel version.

As vocal is often one of the most important elements to a song so some people will invest in a single high quality channel of micpreamp for this purpose. Also if you record one track at a time you can reuse your "good" channel more than once on a recording.

While one might run out of a daw to a micpreamp for color (some do have line input) the primary use is to bring a mic up to line level so it would generally be used during recording not during mixdown.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What if you wanted to record two people at once, or a whole band? Why does most outboard gear only have one channel? Do people typically send a whole mix from a daw to the outboard gear? Wouldn't it make more sense to use the outboard gear on the original recording?
You realize that's actually four different questions there. Elegentdrum covered the one.. pres don't just come one ch.. My humble 'sometimes track a whole band has lead me to several single ch pres, a few with eq, one nice 8-in one rack space, and a few comps.. as example.
Lots of gear ..eq, comps, come dual, linked/linkable or stereo, so there's that.
If "outboard gear on the original recording" means 'on the way in, sometimes yes but often just icing' or not needed at all.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because singers don't have 2 mouths?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
This thread was entertaining.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlane View Post
I especially enjoyed the tap dance segment.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Ya mean it's not anymore??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I especially enjoyed the tap dance segment.
I like a ...
Attached Thumbnails
Why do preamps have one channel?-160778ceb_sc_varietyshow_web_t460.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
This is like asking why isn’t one mic actually two mics?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

You get as many preamps as you need. Some have 1, 2, 4, 8 channels. You can use multiple preamps to track a band. But you also need a converter with as many channels. 1 channel preamps are for a vocal, for example.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Do you mean your mics aren't !?!?

All mine are.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do preamps have one channel?-telefunken_ar_70_stereo_tube_condenser_1356710801000_903603.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Edison recorded entire orchestras with a single receiving trumpet driving a membrane attached to a cutting stylus. One input works just fine, no matter how many instruments you are recording.
What’s a matter with kids today...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Edison recorded entire orchestras with a single receiving trumpet driving a membrane attached to a cutting stylus. One input works just fine, no matter how many instruments you are recording.
Thats nothing. We kids these days just listen to the orchestra and then draw the waveform in the DAW with the pencil tool. Thats the real skill.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thats nothing. We kids these days just listen to the orchestra and then draw the waveform in the DAW with the pencil tool. Thats the real skill.
You kids!!! I thought “pencil tool” was just an insult.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I thought all he recorded was a particularly bad version of Mary had a Little Lamb?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
I thought all he recorded was a particularly bad version of Mary had a Little Lamb?
That's true... according to the Edison marketing and mastering department - turned it into a huge hit. For an 1877 debut. But, it was his 1927 remix that most remember.

Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville, however, made the best mono recording of 1860 - possibly the 1st audio recording ever - without using a Neve clone.

Some say it was the first recording of 1860, even it wasn't released until 1861 - friggin' labels and clearance paperwork. Held the #1 status for nearly 884 weeks. According to historic Billboard accounts not yet in the public domain.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoBastardo View Post
it was his 1927 remix that most remember.
Love how you drop in the fill at the end of the verse.
I laughed out loud.
Fortunately my wife was out walking the dog, so I didn’t get the “WTF?” look.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search