The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gear upgrades (FIRST REAL STUDIO)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Gear upgrades (FIRST REAL STUDIO)

Hey guys, I'm finally building a studio in a dedicated room. Before it was in my bedroom, and my options for expansion in that space were limited. Now, however, I'm looking to upgrade some of my gear. And yes, I am acoustically treating the space with auralex bass traps, DIY 2" panels, and other panels I bought from another musician who was moving. I think my audio interface is fine for now (UMC404HD), but my monitors and mic may be worth upgrading. Right now, I'm running with JBL 104's and an AT2020. However, I believe I can sell that AT2020 and essentially flip it for an oktava mk-319. I can also get Alesis Monitor Ones and Samson Rubicon 5a's for next to nothing. Are there any mics that would beat the oktava in this ~$100 used range? And what monitors would beat the ones I have at a lower price range? (LP6, 305P, HS5???) I will probably be mixing 50/50 on headphones (Beyer DT880) and monitors because I do most of my mixing at night, and I can't wake the kids up.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Or, if not these specific things, are there any other upgrades worth making before these?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Hello confrere, very interesting that you have entry-level gear but already treated room So much people do it in reverse order, without even thinking about acoustic treatment...

People have much talked about bass trapping, and unanimously considered that so called "acoustic foam" doesn't work as it advertised. Really. So, I would suggest trying to do thick DIY bass traps. Here are some links that gonna guide me in my path of building a home studio.

https://www.gikacoustics.com/how-bass-traps-work/
http://realtraps.com/modecalc.htm
http://arqen.com/bass-traps-101/placement-guide/

I know that exists a calculator especially for bass traps, as I remember there is visible correlation between thickness of absorber, air gap behind it and targeted frequency. I can't find it now though. As I understood, just trying to make it as thick as possible will already do a great difference. I plan to cover First Camp with thick bass trap, and place a mic so that camp will be in behind of a vocalist.
Let's see what other people will say.

P.S. Would be very glad to hear your works with current setup, if you dare to share.

Cheers!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
My room (my bedroom) was not acoustically treated, but I wanted to move into a different room because I wanted to treat it. The room itself is really weird. There are 5 corners, but three of them are covered by exposed pipes where they meet the ceiling and one is covered by a water heater. Four of the six walls have a recessed ledge about 7" deep until the ceiling, but all those walls have the aforementioned pipes, etc. I have no idea how I'm going to bass trap those, and haven't yet seen a calculator that can account for these oddities. Help lol.

Last edited by gosef; 2 weeks ago at 07:59 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Hm, I got one pipe too, I thought that I got an idea how to treat it.
Lemme think some time.
Old 2 weeks ago
Don't buy foam. Hop over into the https://www.gearslutz.com/board/stud...ing-acoustics/ forum. Post a diagram and pictures of your room (if it's reasonably tidy).
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Don't worry, I won't buy foam. I spent $20 on some of that egg crate type stuff when I first started and it's been sitting in a closet ever since I realized that it would do nothing. I will do that shortly, johann.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakinPavel View Post
Hm, I got one pipe too, I thought that I got an idea how to treat it.
Lemme think some time.
I was thinking on how to soundproof one, cause it's pretty damn annoying when the water is running. There is tape marketed for that specific purpose, and after everything else is done I may look into that (wrap it around the pipes, then pool noodle insulation + zip ties?)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The AT2020 is actually a pretty good mic already. What are you planning to record? The Oktava sounds darker than the AT2020 which may or may not compliment what you are recording.
Another mic I really like within this price range is the Miktek MK-300. The Audio Technica AT4040 is another solid performer.

Regarding monitors, the JBL LSR305's are surprisingly good! Depending on the size of your room maybe the LSR306 or 308 would be a better option to give you noticeably more bandwidth? Beyond this level the Neumann KH80 DSP/KH120 or Focal Shapes would be even better.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
I use the JBL LSR305 with my Beyerdynamic DT880 and they complement each other very well. I do the bulk of the work on the JBLs then fine tune on the 880s, back and forth, then finish on the speakers.

For mics, it's hard to recommend stuff without knowing what sources they'll be used on, but honestly I'd say keep the 2020 and start building your mic locker based on your needs, especially if you intend on getting a more vintage sounding mic like an Oktava.

Congrats on moving your studio to its own room!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Yeah, the JBL's seem to be the top contender at the price point. I'm still kicking myself for not buying them in November when they were $80 each. I am mostly recording rap/r&b/pop vocals.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosef View Post
Yeah, the JBL's seem to be the top contender at the price point. I'm still kicking myself for not buying them in November when they were $80 each. I am mostly recording rap/r&b/pop vocals.
That's what I did basically- I had a discount coupon from Guitar Center and paid like $150 for the pair. I upgraded from a pair of HS50m's I believe that I had for years because the IEC connector on one was having issues (easy fix, but I sold them to a friend while I satisfied my new gear itch). I had them for at least 6 or 7 years (They were gifts from my parents when I was a teenager) so I was very familiar with them by the time I sold them. I like the JBL's more, but the HS50's were great for learning because it was hard to make a mix sound great on them. Very fatiguing though. JBL LSR305 overall seem clearer and more natural to mix on. I'd be interested in comparing them to the new HS5.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
I've heard many things about them, both good and bad, but generally in terms that don't make sense to me. Overall, I'm not sure that I can justify the price difference between the two, so when I have the money, I'll go with the JBL's most likely. Maybe see if I can get the 6's or 8's at a good price used.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search