The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How many preamps do you need?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

How many preamps do you need?

Do you need eight preamps if you want to use all channels on your interface (for example - recording a band?)

I have a focusrite saffire pro 40
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

How many signals do you want to record? How many members and instruments does your band have? Everybody has different requirements. Do you record microphones? Line levels from keyboards? Piezo pickups? A whole drumset? Or an MPC and turntables?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

All of them !!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast View Post
All of them !!!
Yes, but how many is "all"?

Think of the maximum number of sources you're likely to want to record simultaneously. Then consider how many mics you'll need to record all those things. That's how many preamps you need (you might also need preamps for instruments you're recording direct if your interface doesn't have DI inputs or you want to use better ones).
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Seriously, your Saffire has eight micpreamps built into it already so it's a matter of whether or not you like them or not and just how many mic inputs you require to record a band the way you want.

You can also add more inputs if you need to as your interface has both S/PDIF and ADAT inputs that you could hook up other preamps that have those types of connectivity to.

Whether or not you need more or "better" micpreamps is up to you, certainly many great recordings have been made on eight tracks or less and you have eight decent micpreamps already with as many tracks as your computer can handle.

It really comes down to how you choose to record really. Drums can be the biggest channel hog but they can be recorded with just a couple of mics.

It all depends what you have to record and how you approach things. If you have a ten piece band and think you need to record everyone at once and need 15 drum mics as well then your Saffire isn't gonna cut it but if you can deal with a more minimalist drum mic'ing setup and/or not record all parts at once even eight XLR inputs on your interface might do just fine.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Unless I am recording drums or multiple players then I rarely use more than 2 pre's at a time. However I am set up to capture 16 at once. I generally cut drums, bass, and rhythm guitar together and then overdub the rest. So I will average using 14 mic pres there and between 1 and 4 pres for the rest of the session.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson.reed View Post
Do you need eight preamps if you want to use all channels on your interface (for example - recording a band?)

I have a focusrite saffire pro 40
It only has 8 inputs Right?
Then...
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Sounds good. Thanks for the info
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Interfaces already have preamps in them! External preamps are higher quality, used to record stuff that requires more detail, ie: things that will be the most important in the mix, like vocals. You can also use them to saturate your mix after it is done.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

In the Gearslutz Charter of Gearslutzing it states that you can never have too many microphones. Would have to check the fine print recorded on the business side of that reel of 456, but safe to assume one can never have too many preamps.

Oh... need... that's different. The correct answer is 42.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
How many is all. Here I go........

Transformer only type.
Tube type. 72, 286, many many more
Now the tubes should be broken into, clean and dirty. One or two stage. Many also have a huge transformer.
Supperclean: Grace, Earthworks, Millinia, GML.
Mixed topology. Blend tube and solid state

many have added features
API - Imply added EQ where q and gain are related. Dynamic midrange.
SSL - Imply added EQ and comp SSL4K, cleans/thins stuff out in a good way
NEVE - Imply added Inductor EQ King of the color
AEA line, designed for ribbons
Vipre - Variable slew rate!

Feel free to edit the thought better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search