The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best mic under 200€ for vocals
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Best mic under 200€ for vocals

Any opinions on what's the best microphone under 200€ for vocals that won't pick up too much background noise but that can deal with vocals on the quiet side?
Should I go dynamic or Condenser? cardioid?

Edit:
Thanks everyone, I'm looking at your suggestions.
A bit of extra information, the mic I'm using at the moment is a Samson Q7 and I'm struggling to record without having to turn up the pre amp almost to the max which in turn creates a lot of background noise. The style of my music is synth rock/pop-ish, think of New Order's first album, that sort of vocals so not very loud at all.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Beyer M88TG, is a good generic suggestion, either used-or save up.
Also AKG D790 or D770, are very nice sounding microphones. Out of current production/no longer made.
Chris
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

3u Audio CM1 teal. Best ldc sound in that price range, can be worked close without getting overly boomy, low self noise.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Miktek MK-300 is a very good LDC within that budget brand new. Alternatively I’ve picked up some great other mics secondhand within this budget - Shure KSM32, Audio Technica AT4040 and Telefunken M80 dynamic.
Old 2 weeks ago
yeah anything of the above suggestions if you can find second hand. I'll add Oktava 319 to that list. Bit boring (I find the AT mics boring too) but not the zingy top end of cheap condensers. so you can manipulate easier.

Depending on your style, you might just find a solid stage dynamic works well enough.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

If you want to fix your problem then understanding how stuff works is far more useful than any specific mic recommendation.

Most dynamic mics, even the best ones, are going to have about the same output (or less even) as the cheapie one you already have.

There is no magic mic that makes background sounds and bad untreated room reflections go away.

Being closer to your mic is what gets you more of your voice and less of the other stuff, being farther away gets you more.

Some mics sound better super close up because that's how they are made to be used. Generally these are dynamic mics but condensers that are meant for live sound are as well and can be used in a studio situation.

These types of mics (dynamics and stage condensers) are generally the lower output ones. The what people think of as studio mics, the large diaphragm condensers that you sing into the side of (rather than end address mics like your Samson) are the mics that have a much higher output but these can be a bit trickier to get super close up on without problems.

You say that currently your recording level is low... You do realize that you should be shooting for about -15 or maybe -10dbfs not 0db right?

If you are struggling to get to -15 then you either need 1. a mic that provides more gain than what you already have or 2. a micpreamp that is stronger than what you are using or 3. a pre-preamp (mic booster) like the Cloudlifter or the Soyuz Launcher that goes between your mic and your micpreamp.

Many of the mics suggested like the M88, D770, D790 and Telefunken M80 are good mics but won't fix your problem of low level.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sennheiser e935 (cardioid) or Sennheiser e945 (hypercardioid).
Prefer it to my Neumannn tlm103 (that i love) in untreated rooms. Sounds expensive. Has a presence boost not unlike the shure betas, but sounds much better to my ears.
For 130-150 a steal.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugPass View Post
I'm struggling to record without having to turn up the pre amp almost to the max which in turn creates a lot of background noise.
That's more likely an issue with your interface/pre-amp, not the mic.

If you're dead set on getting a mic, I don't know much about the mic you have, but since you're recording quieter vocals, a condenser (LDC) may be (repeat, may be) your best bet. The downside is in general, condensers cost more than dynamics. I don't know your knowledge level, but you might want to read up on condensers vs dynamics in general to get a better idea which might best suit - it isn't all about whether you're live vs studio or loud vs soft.

However in this golden age of tech, even under 200 you can find some quality condensers, and some really nice dynamics. Based on what I've seen, heard, etc, condensers I'd recommend giving a look:

sE X1A and X1S
Oktava 319

One that's super price friendly and maybe not quite up to par with those but from what I gather (I have not used) punches well above it's price range is the MXL 67 at only $60. That's insane value for any kind of quality condenser mic.

If you opt for a dynamic, it opens up a lot more possibilities...IMO hard to go wrong with a Sennheiser, for example, but by all accounts an excellent mic that is an even more insanely great deal is the isK ICDM, $60 and I think you can still get at promo price of $30!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
The Miktek MK-300 is a very good LDC within that budget brand new.
Where are you seeing that mic at under 200?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Where are you seeing that mic at under 200?
Here :-

https://www.thomann.de/gb/miktek_mk300.htm

I bought an as new MK-300 for £120 which is a complete bargain.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The Samson Q7 is a supercadioid mic with a neodymium magnet. It puts out 2.2 mv/PA, so relative to something like the SM57/58, it's a bit hotter mic and should have no problem driving an interface. To the OP, how close to the mic are you? Experiment with getting up closer to the mics grill, particularly with a mic intended for live use like the Q7. I generally use a condenser mic in an untreated room and to keep the interface gain down so as to not pickup the room or ambient noises I usually am fairly close to the mic. Depending on the mic and it's sensitivity to proximity effect I may use a low cut filter to reduce the 'bassyness'.

A few mics that are in your budget that I might suggest. All transformer coupled which I tend to favor for vocals.
AKG P220
SE Electronics SE2200
Miktek MK300
https://www.thomann.de/de/grossmembr...ter=true&ls=25

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search