The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Open back cans with 'recessed' highs
Old 2 weeks ago
Deleted 0f528f4
Open back cans with 'recessed' highs

Guys any suggestions of open back headphones that have a relatively subdued top half of the spectrum (5k+) ??

I have very sensitive hearing and my current phones (Superlux 668b, Yamaha HT-mt05) leave a notable high pitch ringing in my ears after even after low volumes - a feeling like you've listened to digital noise for too long. Doesn't happen with my Neuman monitors even after extended sessions.

Price less of a factor, would rather pay once now than twice later but if I can keep it sub £150 would be good.

Usage: Electronic Compositions/production.

TIA
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Sennheiser HD650 or (Mass)Drop 6xx - still among the top tier for full range balance. A little fat in the low mids, but with correction are my social distancing desert island phones of choice. Morphit works well with them too.

Even without correction, one of the most linear available. If you're sensitive to exuberant highs, avoid climbing Mt. Beyer. I like the 880s, but they're still too hot up top.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
I 2nd Mando's solution based on my ancient Sennheiser hd580's they are very accurate, but also I use a pair of Grado 80's that used to be $80 that are also accurate but more mellow everywhere and are super comfy. Is there a reasons you can't turn down the treble on the phones?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search