The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ramsa 820 or 4424
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

NKOTB...

sound workshop 1280A?
A/H system 8?
studiomaster stuff? (trilogy, mixdown classic 8, diamond, p7...?)

just diggin the webs
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogeezer View Post
Well I can understand the vibe he is going for, I am going back to that kind of way of recording, which frankly I did a couple of projects all ITB and hated the experience. I'm old so my workflow and habits are established.

You can get a lot of that experience and mojo though doing what I do, use an analog console, lots of outboard and then just use the computer like a big 'ole tapedeck.

I do use plugs (I have a ton of the UAD stuff) with my DAW but I more or less run the tracks out to the desk and just treat them like it's a big tape deck.

The downside to this approach is you are going to have to go to a system with lots of analog I/O, I don't even think MOTU makes this stuff anymore but my system has a 2408 MKIII and a 24 i/o so I got all the analog I/O I need.

Tape is fun though and man I love the smell of the stuff
(seriously I do)

But yeah the OP might be romanticizing it just a bit too much.

I'd bite the bullet and just buy tape and use my MS-16 a lot more but at this stage in my life I am more just farting around and not doing a lot of band projects.

You know how older boomer guys all lost their minds as they got old and bought Harleys even though they had no interest in Harleys before?

Well now most of the musicians my age just want to play blues, which is boring as ****, not to mention kinda corny for a bunch of aged boomers trying to play black guy music from 60 - 70 years ago.

If I want to go retro it would be to sound like the first Montrose album

Analogeezer
I am a younger cat sort of. I grew up working in all analog studios from when I was a kid(literally). I love tape but 90% of people, especially the ones who didnt come up with it, dont realize the full extent of what it really takes to run analog studio's. Even hybrid set ups like mine where I patch my tape machine in and out and, like you, run my computer similar to a tape machine are more to keep up with cause we still have to maintain that gear.

The 2408mk3's are great. They dont make them anymore but Motu has plenty out there that works in there place. With the power of Thunderbolt, AVB connectivity, and modern CPU power the PCIe set up of the 2408 line isnt needed anymore. They still sound great though. They run at 96k imo anything higher than 96k is a waste of system resources.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvh View Post
ah i knew there’d be some ramsa love coming. but again, it’s this nebula of yes and no, mostly no, at this point.

what is the consensus on soundcraft 200b? there seem to be some i could get my hands on... more so than the others already mentioned. better EQ than a ramsa? weaker pres?
What's your threshold of pain and financial resources for putting old gear right.

Hey I love the stuff (where else do you think Analogeezer comes from) but it can be a bit like owning a classic car.

Are you good at troubleshooting and fixing stuff? Even the reliable old Japanese stuff will probably still need some work, either right away or later on.

Frankly the old Yammie PM stuff (which is now expensive) aside there is no special mojo in the pres on 1980's consoles, especially if you plan on coming out of the direct outs on every channel to feed a tape machine.

The best approach (which has worked great for me) is to get good outboard pres (which if you get good ones will only appreciate in value) and add to those as budget allows. Use them on the "money tracks" at first and add to the pres later on.

Just use the analog console for tracking playback and mixing, and be aware it's more of a workflow and vibe thing than anything else.

A Souncraft 200 or old Ramsa or Tascam can be fun to work on but it ain't no Trident 80.

Check your PM, I might have some stuff you would be interested in.

Analogeezer
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogeezer View Post
What's your threshold of pain and financial resources for putting old gear right.

Hey I love the stuff (where else do you think Analogeezer comes from) but it can be a bit like owning a classic car.

Are you good at troubleshooting and fixing stuff? Even the reliable old Japanese stuff will probably still need some work, either right away or later on.

Frankly the old Yammie PM stuff (which is now expensive) aside there is no special mojo in the pres on 1980's consoles, especially if you plan on coming out of the direct outs on every channel to feed a tape machine.

The best approach (which has worked great for me) is to get good outboard pres (which if you get good ones will only appreciate in value) and add to those as budget allows. Use them on the "money tracks" at first and add to the pres later on.

Just use the analog console for tracking playback and mixing, and be aware it's more of a workflow and vibe thing than anything else.

A Souncraft 200 or old Ramsa or Tascam can be fun to work on but it ain't no Trident 80.

Check your PM, I might have some stuff you would be interested in.

Analogeezer
Spot on advice. I have a Tascam M320. I like the pres in it and it sums well. I dont touch the eq. Not only do I not touch it I hate it. But the board does those 2 things well. Signal routing is also really stout on that board. Im not saying get one. In fact on the contrary. My point is it DEFINITELY no Trident or Sound Workshop or Neve or any of those.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

thanks fellas for all the input, learning a lot and trying to put two and two together...

for around 2K budget, would you get:

soundcraft 600 (add pres)
tac scorpion (add pres)
tac bullet custom (add a bunch of pres)
chilton cm2 (probably no budget for pres)

just curious

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search