The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DAC Upgrade
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

DAC Upgrade

Hello,
I have been using a Sound Devices MixPre 6 as an AD/DA interface.

I work with raw and processed field recordings together plugins and virtual libraries such as Spitfire, LABS and Sound Dust and work completely in the box.

I'm now going to start using fx pedals and a drum machine and will also upgrade the DA converter.

The aim now is to use the MixPre as the AD recording sounds, the fx pedals and drum machine capturing it in Logic via the USB. Actually I think I may use the drum machines own usb interface (It is an Elektron Model: Samples).
I'd then like to swap to the upgraded DA for the editing, producing and mixing and monitoring through Abacus C-Box 4 monitors with an A-Bass 12.

I've seen a lot of good reports about the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2, Topping DX7 Pro and Grace Design M900. I see that the listed DA's are used a lot for headphone monitoring together with an AD/DA or as part of a hi-fi set up.

I was wondering if anyone is using these for the same purpose I wish to?

I am also considering investing in an Elysia Xpressor 500 series as part of the final mix stage but am wondering if it will be possible to connect or route this in the chain? The Elysia isn't a definite...

Thank you for any feedback.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi Folks,
Is anyone using the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2, Topping DX7 Pro or Grace Design M900 to produce music and sound through speakers or are these just for headphones and hi-fi set ups?
Thanks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've never seen any evidence that there's a real difference. As in a difference someone can find in an a/b/x test. Some interfaces color the sound on the way in, but that's a different issue.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper View Post
I've never seen any evidence that there's a real difference. As in a difference someone can find in an a/b/x test. Some interfaces color the sound on the way in, but that's a different issue.
Okay, I have also been told that there is not much difference between the Mixpre and the other interfaces i've listed.

Could you advise on what I should be looking for in terms of models and other considerations beyond just the AD/DA converters to help me take my music and sound production to the next level?

Thank you.
Old 2 weeks ago
I use three Project Pre Box S2 DAC's here with a Topping DX7. The Topping does not have the air and clarity the S2 does, the S2 is a bit thinner sounding but that is fixed using a high current linear power supply, I use the Schitt Wyrd. The S2 also works well on location with a USB battery. It's tiny.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I use three Project Pre Box S2 DAC's here with a Topping DX7. The Topping does not have the air and clarity the S2 does, the S2 is a bit thinner sounding but that is fixed using a high current linear power supply, I use the Schitt Wyrd. The S2 also works well on location with a USB battery. It's tiny.
Thanks Jim,
Do you work in the box or do you work with hardware? I would like to invest in an Elysia Expressor 500 series. Is there a away to connect this to the S2?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlmhz View Post
Okay, I have also been told that there is not much difference between the Mixpre and the other interfaces i've listed.

Could you advise on what I should be looking for in terms of models and other considerations beyond just the AD/DA converters to help me take my music and sound production to the next level?

Thank you.
If you're going to process sound through external gear, then you need an interface that can send audio out and bring it back in. 18i8, for instance, has four outputs so you can send a stereo pair out, go through a stereo effect, and bring it back in, while still monitoring.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlmhz View Post
Thanks Jim,
Do you work in the box or do you work with hardware? I would like to invest in an Elysia Expressor 500 series. Is there a away to connect this to the S2?
I use these small DAC's in the studio, in the shop, in the TV room and on location. In the studio I use all of them and some extras like a modified Ross Martin and a custom Mytek DAC designed for Mark Levenson Labs.

I feed them from an Alesis HD24XR through a RME ADI-8 DD. I do all analog mixing here, no computers except for CD prep.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I would first check whether the SoundDevices DAC is bad in the first place. SD certainly has the ability to put a good one in the MixPre. Whether they actually did somebody here might know. Chances are they are lazy and put the same thing as in their expensive units.

I have seen some bashing of the headphone amp they put into the MixPres, but that doesn't say anything about the DAC one way or another.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I use these small DAC's in the studio, in the shop, in the TV room and on location. In the studio I use all of them and some extras like a modified Ross Martin and a custom Mytek DAC designed for Mark Levenson Labs.

I feed them from an Alesis HD24XR through a RME ADI-8 DD. I do all analog mixing here, no computers except for CD prep.
Thanks Jim. I'll do some research into your setup to get a better understanding of routing etc.
?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
I would first check whether the SoundDevices DAC is bad in the first place. SD certainly has the ability to put a good one in the MixPre. Whether they actually did somebody here might know. Chances are they are lazy and put the same thing as in their expensive units.

I have seen some bashing of the headphone amp they put into the MixPres, but that doesn't say anything about the DAC one way or another.
Thanks. Yes, This is something I've been trying to do. Any feedback from others would be appreciated. Perhaps I need an ear test or do some deep listening training. I can't help but feel that what I am listening to (other peoples productions and my own) could sound better, not so dense, more depth of field. Or perhaps I'm telling myself this so psychologically this is what I hear...it's very hard for me to trust what im hearing and I guess this changes with experience. I'd love to be able to A/B the mixpre with a prism or bricasti or other top end interface. Obviously within a well acoustically treated environment.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi Jim, what kind of Linear PSU are you using?

Are those ones good?

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hifi-...a-p-12581.html

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hifi-...a-p-14009.html

There is no more Schiit Wyrd USB noise cleaner on their site.
Is Ifi silencer and AQ Jitterbug equivalent to that one you have?

Thanks in advance
Old 6 days ago
Jitterbug is a USB noise filter. The Schiit Wyrd is a complete linear 5 volt USB power supply. I did add some 4700 uf mains caps to it to clean it up a bit more. They should bring it back. Fifty bucks is a deal. I also use it for my Tascam DR-70D.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Jitterbug is a USB noise filter. The Schiit Wyrd is a complete linear 5 volt USB power supply. I did add some 4700 uf mains caps to it to clean it up a bit more. They should bring it back. Fifty bucks is a deal. I also use it for my Tascam DR-70D.
Ok, than you have a linear psu for Schiit Wyrd or you are using the one that follow with the unit?

Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search